Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
^agreed with the mountek magnetic mount. I have been using it for over a year and it's awesome. I'll post pictures later.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I installed this combination tonight. Overall I like it! It only took maybe 10-15 minutes to install.

I have a larger phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) so had to use the longer "arms" that come with the Arkon holder:

The bottom arms are on a spring-loaded slider (behind the pad), so with the phone in place the bottom drops down about another inch or so.

My biggest concern was that with the phone in place it would block air from the air vent from getting to the driver (me!). I think it might block maybe 10% or so of the air, but nothing really noticeable.

My next concern was that it would block access to the 4WD Lock button. It does, in fact, make it a bit trickier to get to, but it is still readily accessible. I've only used that button a few times, in the winter, so I don't anticipate it being any problem at all.

Another concern was the gap it would make between the panels. It *does* make a small gap, visible in the photo, but it's not bad.

My last concern is that it would vibrate a lot when using it. After a short test drive (30 MPH max), this *is* in fact the case, at least given the understanding that "a lot" is subjective.

That's the only noticeable down-side: the vibration. It doesn't make Google Maps unusable by any means, it's just an annoyance. I'm sure having the larger/heavier phone doesn't help with that, either.

All in all, it is *much* better (and safer!) than what I had been doing, which was setting the phone in the driver's cup holder, with the rubber insert removed (large phone). The audio directions are much easier to hear as well, given that the speaker on the phone is no longer in the cup holder well.

Here are the parts I ordered:

Panavise Custom InDash Mount for Toyota RAV4 '06
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I7RUEO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

ARKON AP032-VSM Vehicle Specific Mount Adapter Plate Dual T Tab Horizontal (Cconverts AMPS to Male Dual T Tab)
Amazon.com: ARKON AP032-VSM Vehicle Specific Mount Adapter Plate Dual T Tab Horizontal (Cconverts AMPS to Male Dual T Tab): GPS & Navigation

ARKON (SM060-2) Slim Grip Ultra Smartphone and Midsize Tablet Universal Holder for iPhone 6 Plus iPad mini Galaxy S6 S5 Note 4 Galaxy Tab 8.0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JCW8D38?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Overall so far, thumbs-up. :thumbs_up:

Reactions: JuneBug
21 - 26 of 26 Posts