Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Last thing I want is a dealership washing my car. Is it in the manual for a 5K visit?
Just went today. Specifically told the service manager to not wash my car. This is what they left me with. So careless and irresponsible. You can't even expect them to NOT do something. I'm using my Toyota care elsewhere in hopes I get better service.

Wish I read this post or what other car people do which is hang a big fat sign on their rearview mirror not NOT TO WASH. F***ing hate dealerships

·
Registered
15 Posts
The scheduled first oil change is at 10k, but I'm thinking that I should pay to get the oil changed at the 5k service. Any thoughts? I'm old enough to remember 3k oil changes and doing the first one so that anything the oil picks up from from the engine break-in period are removed.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
The scheduled first oil change is at 10k, but I'm thinking that I should pay to get the oil changed at the 5k service. Any thoughts? I'm old enough to remember 3k oil changes and doing the first one so that anything the oil picks up from from the engine break-in period are removed.
arm77, I do that too. I'm at 3k+ and am feeling overdue. I'll take it in and have them do a oil and filter and nothing else. I'll pay and not use a free service. And no wash, I do those by hand.

When I say nothing else, I may have found a flaw so I'm going to fondle the junction of the front of the hood on the other Rav samples on their lot to see if they have the front edge of the hood slightly above the front fascia. I may have them adjust that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I always skip the 5k, 15k, 25k, etc. Did it with the Venza and Prius C. Doing the same with both RAV4s. Tire rotations are done at Discount Tires for both RAV4s. I can check the fluids at home.

Like Quickdtoo said, I took the car wash once years ago. There I waited for the dryer to come on. Drove around with a wet car. Never again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Had my 5000 today, and some warranty issues.
Changed the soft blinker from 3 to 5
Fixed the auto-lock issue ( they disconnected the battery for 20 minutes )
I have the limited with the power front seats, and the seat "creaks" going back and forth.
The Mrs. said I was crazy to mention it, but I keep cars for 10-15 years, and always pay cash ( No lease ever )
So, I'm not living with a creaky seat for 15 years.

SA, and tech came back and said, Yep bad seat...
Its on backorder, wow.
Surprised me they are replacing the seat, I thought a little grease.:):):)

I asked about this "Grey artifact" in the front camera display, the tech has never seen that???
The salesman said " They all have that!! "

That grey triangle really blocks the view of the car in front, real annoying..

He said he will ask around about it...

ideas???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I asked about this "Grey artifact" in the front camera display, the tech has never seen that???
The salesman said " They all have that!! "

That grey triangle really blocks the view of the car in front, real annoying..

He said he will ask around about it...

ideas???
Well if they all have that I’m damn glad I don’t have the front camera. Looks like an accident waiting to happen but fortunately you have the front collision auto brake.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well if they all have that I’m damn glad I don’t have the front camera. Looks like an accident waiting to happen but fortunately you have the front collision auto brake.
But you're not driving by looking at the screen.... It's really for parking so you're just inching forward at that point and the front camera helps getting really close to tight spaces (like when I pull into my garage).

·
Registered
472 Posts
But you're not driving by looking at the screen.... It's really for parking so you're just inching forward at that point and the front camera helps getting really close to tight spaces (like when I pull into my garage).

Correct.
But is this Grey artifact
Normal or an issue???

I asked at the 5000 mile,
the SA and the Tech never saw it before, they will ask a toyota rep, but did not write up a trouble ticket for me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Correct.
But is this Grey artifact
Normal or an issue???

I asked at the 5000 mile,
the SA and the Tech never saw it before, they will ask a toyota rep, but did not write up a trouble ticket for me.
The Toyota SA and tech should spend more time reading their owners manual! As for the reason for the notch, I don't have a clue why.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m due for my 5000 mile service appointment soon.
Please let us know how your experience went with your hybrid. I’m curious what specifically was done to your car at this visit.
Anyone have them change your oil?
I’d also like to hear what issues (if any) you asked the Toyota Service Advisor to do/look into/check for you. Any issues with your car after the visit?
Local (CT) dealer just followed the maintenance recommendations. At my 10K service/oil change I went to another Toyota dealer who I suspect changed the oil, but did not change the filter and overfilled the crankcase. When I arrived home and checked the oil it was light brown, not clear and 3/8" above the full indent. Returned to the dealer service writer who arranged for a complete replacement of the oil & refill to the correct level, but did not offer a filter. Recommendation - Follow the Toyota manual service recommendations AND before you leave the dealer check your oil (at the oil change interval) to make sure the level is correct and clear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tire rotation is free at any place you bought tires before even if you didn't get them for this car yet.
Name a place please. One that's not just local to you who's owner is your sisters husband. A chain. Discount, Goodyear, Firestone, Costco, Sam's, etc etc.

In the meantime I'll turn the alarm down on my BS meter until you get back to us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Remember folks, none of this stuff is really 'free'. You already paid for it.

But unless you have one of those dealer provided lifetime warranties that require every service to happen with them to keep the warranty valid, you may well find changing your oil, rotating your tires and looking at your brake pads are worth doing yourself.

At the least mark the inside of your tires with chalk to determine if really rotated, same with oil filter housing, and check the tire pressures when you get it back. They'll likely be over inflated. Remember your work is being done by the lowest member of the 'tech team'. The minimum wage guy who may, or may not, care about his work.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Very true. I’m not getting so close to anything in my world that I need a front camera.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
At the least mark the inside of your tires with chalk to determine if really rotated, same with oil filter housing, and check the tire pressures when you get it back. They'll likely be over inflated. Remember your work is being done by the lowest member of the 'tech team'. The minimum wage guy who may, or may not, care about his work.
I do this on the tread with my silver Sharpie.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Local (CT) dealer just followed the maintenance recommendations. At my 10K service/oil change I went to another Toyota dealer who I suspect changed the oil, but did not change the filter and overfilled the crankcase. When I arrived home and checked the oil it was light brown, not clear and 3/8" above the full indent. Returned to the dealer service writer who arranged for a complete replacement of the oil & refill to the correct level, but did not offer a filter. Recommendation - Follow the Toyota manual service recommendations AND before you leave the dealer check your oil (at the oil change interval) to make sure the level is correct and clear.
I ALWAYS check my oil after the change and before I leave the dealership. Color, dipstick measurement, etc. I also watch the service being done if I can see it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m due for my 5000 mile service appointment soon.
Please let us know how your experience went with your hybrid. I’m curious what specifically was done to your car at this visit.
Anyone have them change your oil?
I’d also like to hear what issues (if any) you asked the Toyota Service Advisor to do/look into/check for you. Any issues with your car after the visit?
The Toyota Care 5K includes a free oil change, tire rotation, and a general systems health check. Really no tangible benefit save the $30 for an oil change. But the 'real' downside was the ham fisted approach to my settings. When I picked up the car, everything had been turned off. Blind spot, lane change, collision avoidance, reactive cruise control, etc. And the radio station was now a Spanish language FM. This was not bueno. I had to get the manual out to recall how I'd done it all the first (only) time. But the good things? They said an hour if I waited and texted me in 90 minutes. Close enough. The dealership is a beautiful facility. Plush waiting, WiFi, work station cubbies, etc. And has a great snack bar with comp coffee, soft drinks, etc. I got a super slice of lemon cake on the house. Local bakery supplied that made Starbuck's Lemon Loaf seem very much like stale bread.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts