Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
The Toyota Care 5K includes a free oil change, tire rotation, and a general systems health check. Really no tangible benefit save the $30 for an oil change. But the 'real' downside was the ham fisted approach to my settings. When I picked up the car, everything had been turned off. Blind spot, lane change, collision avoidance, reactive cruise control, etc. And the radio station was now a Spanish language FM. This was not bueno. I had to get the manual out to recall how I'd done it all the first (only) time. But the good things? They said an hour if I waited and texted me in 90 minutes. Close enough. The dealership is a beautiful facility. Plush waiting, WiFi, work station cubbies, etc. And has a great snack bar with comp coffee, soft drinks, etc. I got a super slice of lemon cake on the house. Local bakery supplied that made Starbuck's Lemon Loaf seem very much like stale bread.
To the best of my knowledge, the Toyota 5k does NOT include a free oil change.
The 10k does. I’ve scheduled my 5k for the inspection/rotation and am paying for an early oil change.
I’m making sure they do not “reset” anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Remember folks, none of this stuff is really 'free'. You already paid for it.

At the least mark the inside of your tires with chalk to determine if really rotated, same with oil filter housing, and check the tire pressures when you get it back. They'll likely be over inflated. Remember your work is being done by the lowest member of the 'tech team'. The minimum wage guy who may, or may not, care about his work.
[/QUOTE
Yes to all above.. I put red fingernail polish dots on the valve stems of the rear tires (red = rear) to check it the tires were really rotated. Yes, they were correctly done at 5 and 10K miles. In a previous note I mentioned my problem with the oil change, dark and overfill at 10K service.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I created a thread for this but thought this also needed to be here...

Had a major freak out today with my Rav.
I scheduled the 5k Service a bit early as I going to be near one of my two Toyota dealers I’ve done business with. Another reason I went there was that I received a coupon for a synthetic oil change from them in the mail. Oil change/5k service went fine and I took off. Was less than a quarter mile away on an on-ramp when the Rav suddenly started making a very rough noise, there was a drop in performance and I looked down at the dash to see the Hybrid System Malfunction warning. I immediately pulled over ASAP once I had gotten off the ramp, shut the ignition off, and turned the emergency blinkers on. I got out and looked around/under the Rav and opened the hood. Everything looked and smelled normal. Pulled the dip stick and it seemed about right. Got back in, turned the key, and got the same sound/message...”Hybrid System Malfunction - Output Power Reduced - Visit Your Dealer”. Called the dealer, they immediately called a tow truck to return back to the dealer for evaluation. Interestingly, one question I was asked was basically WE DID PUT THE OIL IN, RIGHT?😳
Once at the dealer, they immediately got a tech working on scanning it for codes, etc. I tried to remain calm but told the Service Manager that in all the years I’ve owned Toyotas (since 1978), I’ve never had one towed for any reason other than an accident. After the scan, they moved it into a service bay, at which point I couldn’t see it. Within a half hour I saw them drive it out. I went outside to see what was happening and it was actually the Service Manager driving it. It appeared to be running as normal, no noise and no warnings. We talked for quite a while and his take was that they had a code that showed an issue with the Mass Air Flow which they checked. He thought when they checked the air filter, they hadn’t gotten the connection back tight enough and that threw a code. That made sense to me. What didn’t make sense was when he also said that they “redid” the oil change. He said they just wanted to make sure it was done correctly so they redid it. I asked him to write/document this incident up and what was done to get to right, which he did. I drove on to do other things in the area, making sure all was well, which it appears to be. I drove it the hour trip home and all seemed normal.
Thoughts...
  • The Service Manager (and all the other folks involved) did everything I would hope they would do. Got the tow truck there ASAP and paid for it. Immediately got to work on the issue and solved it very quickly. BTW, I also had asked for the oil filter, which they brought to me in the replacement filter’s box and a plastic bag.
  • There was a bit of an issue with the coupon. The coupon was for a synthetic oil change for $39.00. After the original change was finished they tried to charge me over $54, saying the 016 weight oil was more expensive. I balked at that and said that if that were the case they should have told me before the service was done. They graciously relented. I did look at the coupon and it did say that some models would be more.
  • As usual, this dealer’s service folks did a great job and did so quickly. My beef is that this whole freak out could have been avoided has the original work been done properly. This was the first time I’ve ever had a problem there and I’ve been involved with them since 2006.
  • I must admit the sound the Rav made freaked me out and I definitely did not want to drive it any further. It sounded and felt like it was missing badly, which maybe it was.
  • I know there will be those who will blame them for redoing the oil change. Truth is, I cannot envision that the Hybrid Malfunction warning had anything to do with the oil change as I did (as I always have) checked the oil before I left the dealer and it seemed good.
  • I did already have a call into Toyota Corporate well before any of this happened to get an update on the gas tank problem. They called me back and after telling me there was no news, I told my caseworker about what had happened. She was very interested and I could hear her typing as I talked. She was quite shocked that this had happened and asked me a number of questions.
All in all, it was a very troubling incident but it seems all’s well that ends well, as long as it’s all documented as part of the service history!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I created a thread for this but thought this also needed to be here...

Had a major freak out today with my Rav.
I scheduled the 5k Service a bit early as I going to be near one of my two Toyota dealers I’ve done business with. Another reason I went there was that I received a coupon for a synthetic oil change from them in the mail. Oil change/5k service went fine and I took off. Was less than a quarter mile away on an on-ramp when the Rav suddenly started making a very rough noise, there was a drop in performance and I looked down at the dash to see the Hybrid System Malfunction warning. I immediately pulled over ASAP once I had gotten off the ramp, shut the ignition off, and turned the emergency blinkers on. I got out and looked around/under the Rav and opened the hood. Everything looked and smelled normal. Pulled the dip stick and it seemed about right. Got back in, turned the key, and got the same sound/message...”Hybrid System Malfunction - Output Power Reduced - Visit Your Dealer”. Called the dealer, they immediately called a tow truck to return back to the dealer for evaluation. Interestingly, one question I was asked was basically WE DID PUT THE OIL IN, RIGHT?😳
Once at the dealer, they immediately got a tech working on scanning it for codes, etc. I tried to remain calm but told the Service Manager that in all the years I’ve owned Toyotas (since 1978), I’ve never had one towed for any reason other than an accident. After the scan, they moved it into a service bay, at which point I couldn’t see it. Within a half hour I saw them drive it out. I went outside to see what was happening and it was actually the Service Manager driving it. It appeared to be running as normal, no noise and no warnings. We talked for quite a while and his take was that they had a code that showed an issue with the Mass Air Flow which they checked. He thought when they checked the air filter, they hadn’t gotten the connection back tight enough and that threw a code. That made sense to me. What didn’t make sense was when he also said that they “redid” the oil change. He said they just wanted to make sure it was done correctly so they redid it. I asked him to write/document this incident up and what was done to get to right, which he did. I drove on to do other things in the area, making sure all was well, which it appears to be. I drove it the hour trip home and all seemed normal.
Thoughts...
  • The Service Manager (and all the other folks involved) did everything I would hope they would do. Got the tow truck there ASAP and paid for it. Immediately got to work on the issue and solved it very quickly. BTW, I also had asked for the oil filter, which they brought to me in the replacement filter’s box and a plastic bag.
  • There was a bit of an issue with the coupon. The coupon was for a synthetic oil change for $39.00. After the original change was finished they tried to charge me over $54, saying the 016 weight oil was more expensive. I balked at that and said that if that were the case they should have told me before the service was done. They graciously relented. I did look at the coupon and it did say that some models would be more.
  • As usual, this dealer’s service folks did a great job and did so quickly. My beef is that this whole freak out could have been avoided has the original work been done properly. This was the first time I’ve ever had a problem there and I’ve been involved with them since 2006.
  • I must admit the sound the Rav made freaked me out and I definitely did not want to drive it any further. It sounded and felt like it was missing badly, which maybe it was.
  • I know there will be those who will blame them for redoing the oil change. Truth is, I cannot envision that the Hybrid Malfunction warning had anything to do with the oil change as I did (as I always have) checked the oil before I left the dealer and it seemed good.
  • I did already have a call into Toyota Corporate well before any of this happened to get an update on the gas tank problem. They called me back and after telling me there was no news, I told my caseworker about what had happened. She was very interested and I could hear her typing as I talked. She was quite shocked that this had happened and asked me a number of questions.
All in all, it was a very troubling incident but it seems all’s well that ends well, as long as it’s all documented as part of the service history!
I will have to check the dipstick before I leave the dealership. What an awful thing to go through. Not a good feeling.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I will have to check the dipstick before I leave the dealership. What an awful thing to go through. Not a good feeling.
I’ve been checking the oil level before leaving when dealers do my oil changes for many years. Like I said, I don’t think there was any problem with the oil level. I checked it before I left the dealer and it looked good. I’m of the opinion that this “Hybrid Malfunction” was related to the Mass Air Flow system. It almost sounded like the Rav was running rough and “missing” just before the warning came up on the dash. What is normally a very quiet car was running quite loudly. I have a video recording of the sound when the service person drove it into the service department. And you are correct that it was NOT a good feeling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’ve been checking the oil level before leaving when dealers do my oil changes for many years. Like I said, I don’t think there was any problem with the oil level. I checked it before I left the dealer and it looked good. I’m of the opinion that this “Hybrid Malfunction” was related to the Mass Air Flow system. It almost sounded like the Rav was running rough and “missing” just before the warning came up on the dash. What is normally a very quiet car was running quite loudly. I have a video recording of the sound when the service person drove it into the service department. And you are correct that it was NOT a good feeling.
Okay that's good. You did make me think about dealer oil change though. I am thinking if they are in rush they might not check their work. And the hybrid might just be in ev mode from service bay to when they pull it up front for you. Then the engine might only come on after you leave the dealership within a mile. So if the oil filer had any leaks they would be magnified with engine on. Once I removwd an old filter and the old gasket stayed stuck on housing. I screwed on new filter on top of old gasket. Then when I started it was rought and sounded bad. Anyways it might be good idea to turn the heater on full to start the engine and see if any leaks at the dealer. Glad it was mass air flow related for you. But you did make me think :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Okay that's good. You did make me think about dealer oil change though. I am thinking if they are in rush they might not check their work. And the hybrid might just be in ev mode from service bay to when they pull it up front for you. Then the engine might only come on after you leave the dealership within a mile. So if the oil filer had any leaks they would be magnified with engine on. Once I removwd an old filter and the old gasket stayed stuck on housing. I screwed on new filter on top of old gasket. Then when I started it was rought and sounded bad. Anyways it might be good idea to turn the heater on full to start the engine and see if any leaks at the dealer. Glad it was mass air flow related for you. But you did make me think :)
IMO, all it takes is pressing the Power button and a bit of acceleration to engage the ICE. Again, there were no leaks and oil level looked good.
Always glad to help people think!🤔

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sixty-five miles, seventy-eight miles, ninety-three miles, are the three distances to Toyota Dealerships . . . so I have my choice of where I can take my Toyota in order to have maroons assault it with their magic malevolence.

One place left the entire undercarriage of my Tacoma wet with oil, from an oil & filter change that was done in conjunction with R & R the clutch. Another one of the three wasted four hours of my life that I'll never get back in order to program a third FOB Key and butcher the physical laser cut key for my new RAV4---ended up getting a 'Factory Cut' key which the Dealership ordered. I haven't investigated the third option yet. There's more, but this is only the Internet and I do not want to use up everyone else's bandwidth articulating the failure of Capitalism trying to imitate Customer Service.

My inclination is to avoid Toyota Dealerships whenever possible. If I could go to (or if it were practical) Toyota Technical School and just do ALL of my own work, I would.

It's like the guy that got hired at Comcast so he could go through the Comcast Field Technician Training Course so that he could fix his own Comcast service at his home, and then quit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Torque to 76 foot pounds... not like some dealerships at 100 foot pounds.
No dealership is coming near my tires, oil, or oil filter.

I invested in a QuickJack and have done my first oil & filter change at just under 3k miles, drain plug 30ft/lbs, filter tight/snug, popped all four paws off, applied anti-seize to the lug threads and torqued to 76ft/lbs.

The dip-stick together with the synthetic oil is extremely deceptive. The synthetic oil was black with dirt. Don't get me started on the tiny little sewing thimble Toyota designed for an "oil filter" . . . . . sheebeeezus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Isn't the 5k service free with Toyota Care in the USA? My understanding is that all normal service is free up to and including the 25K service. My dealer gives me a coupon for a local big-name car wash, also.

At 5K my understanding is they just check safety items and basic stuff like making sure there are no fluid leaks, the engine is still bolted to the engine mounts, the bumper is not about to fall off, the exhaust pipes are not dragging the pavement, etc.

I will get my oil changed with synthetic every 8,000 miles not the 10,000 in the manual. The 10,000 is for easy driving conditions where the car gets a chance to warm up and then stays warm for most of the drive. I do enough short stop and go driving, that the oil does not always get warm, so I do the changes at 8,000 - 80% of the recommended highest mileage. If we have a very cold winter, I might even get it done at 6,000 miles. I did this with my 2012 Hybrid Camry. It seemed to work but I don't know for sure since some moron in a Ford F150 totaled my Camry showing off to his buddies in a parking lot. Idiot!

My old 2004 Camry had regular (not synthetic) oil changes every 4000 miles (80% of 5000) and at 205,000 miles is still running strong. One of my kids drives it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just had the 5,000 mile service performed by Toyota on my XSE for free. It took an hour and there were no issues. The next service is at 10,000 miles and includes an oil change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts