Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 RAV Limited...
:mad:Sooo the wife calls and says the RAV just stopped and won't refire. Of course she's in traffic. She thought it might be a smart key issue. I bring mine,,no luck. She says she just came from filling up the tank right up the street. I can just see the gas station she was at from where we were. I check the cap, it's tight. I wipe my finger around the edge where I see it's wet.....WTF! that ain't right..it smells like Diesel. She assures me it's not. 2 hours later Toyota's wrecker gets there. I take her back to the gas station to point out which pump she used. "RIGHT THERE.. THAT ONE!"............oh......the one that stands alone and is clearly marked DIESEL........just shoot me:wall.

So they can't get to it until Saturday...any Toyota mechanics know about how much I'm out dollar-wise?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Should not be too much. Drain the fuel system and clean the plugs is all. No damage to the engine.
Put gasoline into a diesel? That's a problem.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
A lot cheaper than a divorce for sure!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot cheaper than a divorce for sure!

There wouldn't be a divorce... I contemplated my life in prison:ponder:...didn't really appeal to me either:eek:.
I will bite my tongue for a short while and bear it. Tell her that her Christmas present is on order so she needs to keep her stocking up. Then I will put the final service invoice in it.:egad:

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
It could have been worse as was mentioned previously - I've known of people who put gasoline into diesel vehicles back before diesel car fuel fillers were narrowed to prevent that from happening.! Did the Toyota dealership give you an estimated cost for flushing the fuel system? They should have. At dealer rates it probably won't be inexpensive! Good trick about putting the repair invoice into your wife's Christmas stocking . . .:surprise

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neg, the dealer can't even look at it until Saturday. Only spoke to a service writer so far. I'm just hoping a drain, flush, filter, probably plugs (rav has 42k miles on it) is the extent of it and it's isolated to the top end. I don't want to deal with catalytic converter and sensors in the downstream. $$$$$ If they say tose are affected I'm tempted to tell them to fix the top end and I will run it for a bit (if the computer sensors will let me) and see if burns away the crap.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
I highly doubt there's any engine damage or even a need to change the plugs since the engine simply shuts off when the oil hits the injectors. I'd be suspicious of any dire warnings about expensive repairs.

I'm a little surprised you took it to Toyota since I'd think many local garages could clean out the diesel and get you on your way much quicker and cheaper. Maybe call around and find out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I knew that was the issue BEFORE it was towed away I would have probably had it brought to the house. I can turn a wrench fairly well. I was thinking it was an electronic issue from the warning Christmas tree that the dash displayed, (that would be covered under the extended warranty I have). It wasn't until it was long gone that I went to the gas station and learned its ailment. The dealer is probably 30 miles away.

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
Wow, I'm relieved! Someone else figures out problems a little too late! :wink Merry Christmas anyway!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
What did they do for the rest of the price?
Drop and drain the tank, flush the entire fuel system with gasoline.

Parts aren't much but it's labor-intensive.
$850 with $100 for parts would be about 7 hours for labor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts