Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a trailer hitch I'm attempting to find a way to disable the rear power hatch. If I'm using my hitch mount bike rack, the last thing I want it to have that open by mistake from hitting remote button, or even interior button and gouging the rear hatch or worse. I don't see a way to do this. Closest I've found is to set the user setting to 1, which will barely open. But in this case, that is still too much and will hit the rack.
I never wanted the power hatch to begin with, but it was an option I couldn't delete on my SE unfortunately.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Is there a diagram in your Owner's Manual concerning the different fuses? There is in my 4.3 manual. If there is a fuse which controls only the power hatch perhaps pulling it would disable the power function and still allow you to open the hatch manually.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
I thought there was supposed to be a hatch disable switch inside the glove box.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
It's done in the MID according to page 116 in the '16 Hybrid manual, sorry graphics didn't copy.

The power back door system can be disabled by operating the multiinformation
display.

Press < or > of the meter control switches and select on
the multi-information display.

Press up or down of the meter control switches and select ,
and then press .

Select “System Settings” and then press .

Press . (“All Off” will be displayed on the multi-information display.)

Each time is pressed, the system will be enabled/disabled.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's done in the MID according to page 116 in the '16 Hybrid manual, sorry graphics didn't copy.
Yep, sure enough. Page 120 of the manual for those missing graphics. I was in that screen playing with settings but never saw that option (appears at bottom of screen there).
I just tried this and it works, and still will release the hatch lock and let you operate by hand.
Thank you, I knew there had to be a way. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, you can disable it where you set it to 1 :) you will understand that you managed to disable it when the setting is shown faded.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yep, sure enough. Page 120 of the manual for those missing graphics. I was in that screen playing with settings but never saw that option (appears at bottom of screen there).
I just tried this and it works, and still will release the hatch lock and let you operate by hand.
Thank you, I knew there had to be a way. :thumbs_up:
That's good to know. How do you open and close the hatch after you've disabled auto? Does it work like a non-auto hatch? Is it easy to operate? I have no love for auto-hatch. Way too slow.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
That's good to know. How do you open and close the hatch after you've disabled auto? Does it work like a non-auto hatch? Is it easy to operate? I have no love for auto-hatch. Way too slow.
Page 114-115 in the hybrid .pdf manual, use the rubber covered PBD switch above the license plate. You can also unlock/lock it there as well, there's a little nubbin to the right of the PBD switch, there's a rubber close/stop button on the bottom left edge of the PBD too.

Vehicles with power back door

When the back door is unlocked: Press the back door
opener switch.

When the back door is locked: While carrying the electronic key on
your person, press the back door opener switch.

Pressing the switch while the back door is opening/closing stops the
operation.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I forgot to add that when the PBD system is off you must manually raise and lower/close the door just like a non-PBD model, only there's more resistance I would bet, all power is turned off except lock and unlock.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it does and it doesn't. It works the same as far as letting the hatch release with a button press, then closing it closed the last 1" on it's own. But lifting and lowering the hatch itself, you are fighting the motor and it is just as slow as when powered.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I forgot to add that when the PBD system is off you must manually raise and lower/close the door just like a non-PBD model, only there's more resistance I would bet, all power is turned off except lock and unlock.
That's what I wanted to know. Guess will not be able to set height too eh? That's not good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I read that it's also a good idea to turn it off (rear hatch) while going through a carwash to prevent an inadvertent opening by cleaning brushes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts