Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious....I assume all my components are functioning correctly as my vsc light is not on and all lights go off after starting my rav...But I have tried though on some hills to engage the hill assist....

I press down firlmy on the brake, and wait patiently but I never hear the beeps.....I know I really won't ever have a need or use for this feature but I would like to know that if it is an option I paid 4...It would be great to know it works....Do u have to be at a certain incline grade % before it can be activated?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i assume u dont have to push any special buttons then to activate it? The only button I have is the downhill assist...So that doesn't need to be on then correct...Man, I have mashed the brake really hard almost to hard thinking I was gonna break something but i still get no beeps...But like i said...no vsc light flashes so all seems to be working fine

·
Registered
189 Posts
You do indeed have to have it in gear for it to work, if that might be the problem you're having. When in gear, you do have to press and hold the brake pedal down with extra force before it engages.

Heh, the hill hold assist feature is how I finally proved to my wife she brakes harder than do I....when I drove it, not a peep. First three stops she came to when she drove, *beep beep*. "What the hell is that?" :)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bundalo said:
You do indeed have to have it in gear for it to work, if that might be the problem you're having. When in gear, you do have to press and hold the brake pedal down with extra force before it engages.

Heh, the hill hold assist feature is how I finally proved to my wife she brakes harder than do I....when I drove it, not a peep. First three stops she came to when she drove, *beep beep*. "What the hell is that?" :)
Dunno wth is wrong then...I just leave it on drive when Im on the road and stopping on hills, flat roads or whatever...Even pushing hard on the brake, I get no beeps at all....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hill assist braking

You really have to step hard on the brake ... you'll hear a beep indicating the system is engaged and can remove your foot from the brake - you'll have about 3 seconds that your brakes will be applied which is more than enough time to get your foot to the gas pedal. When you touch on the gas, brake assist will release.

If it doesn't function correctly have your dealer inspect your Rav4 as it may indicate other systems problems.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just can't see hill assist being anything more than a useless waste on an automatic. Unless you only have one leg/foot.

Yes it works in drive just press down firmly till you hear a beep. When you let off on the brakes they will stay on till you hit the gas. If you don't do that inside of 2 seconds they will turn off either way.

A worthless marketing toy. Now on a manual it would have been a godsend, too bad all ravs in north america are autos.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i tried it 2 days ago it worked but after that i can't seem to get it engaged. so i have to step on the break really hard as much as i can??

·
Registered
166 Posts
sorry guys, are we talking about uphill assist (no rolling back) or the downhill brake assist (press that button)?

·
Registered
165 Posts
jtsmak said:
sorry guys, are we talking about uphill assist (no rolling back) or the downhill brake assist (press that button)?
I believe uphill as they are all talking about just pressing and holding the brake.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have had mine activate, especially if I am getting ready to back out of the driveway and I have my foot on the brake too hard, I couldn't figure out why until I asked here before.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok....got it to work today...ya u hafta mash the hell outta the break but it beeped and the break stayed on till I hit the gas...As i sated b4...probably will be a cold day in hell until i use this feature but nice to know it works...thanks all

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
agreed--until I saw how easily you roll back on this tranny

hartage said:
I just can't see hill assist being anything more than a useless waste on an automatic. Unless you only have one leg/foot.

Yes it works in drive just press down firmly till you hear a beep. When you let off on the brakes they will stay on till you hit the gas. If you don't do that inside of 2 seconds they will turn off either way.

A worthless marketing toy. Now on a manual it would have been a godsend, too bad all ravs in north america are autos.
I have owned many more manuals than automatics, and I thought, why would you need this feature on an auto? We live in a relatively hilly area with lots of steep driveways and entrances, and I was shocked to discover how easily this vehicle rolls back in drive on an incline---I thought for a second it was a manual tranny!! Oh, how I can dream! Anyway, maybe it's a low idle thing or soft torque converter on this rav4, but it is a handy feature to have especially when entering high speed rural roads off of inclined driveways. And yes, you could just you use your hand break or left foot, but it's safer for my wife this way. 8)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: agreed--until I saw how easily you roll back on this tra

Honeymooner4evr said:
hartage said:

I have owned many more manuals than automatics, and I thought, why would you need this feature on an auto? We live in a relatively hilly area with lots of steep driveways and entrances, and I was shocked to discover how easily this vehicle rolls back in drive on an incline---I thought for a second it was a manual tranny!! Oh, how I can dream! Anyway, maybe it's a low idle thing or soft torque converter on this rav4, but it is a handy feature to have especially when entering high speed rural roads off of inclined driveways. And yes, you could just you use your hand break or left foot, but it's safer for my wife this way. 8)
Using your left foot would be less safe ?? So actually knowing what you are doing to adapt to a stiuation and developing a skill is less safe than relying on another tech bauble ?

Sorry, I don't know what your wife's driving skill is or isn't. Using your left foot to brake the car on a hill while hitting the gas with your right takes a few seconds to master.

At that point you are relying on one less thing to go wrong. Actualy several, the hill assist relies on at least the abs brake accutators on each wheel, the ecu, the throttle position sensor, maybe even the accelerometers.

Braking with your left foot yourself takes all these out of the loop even if they are malfunctioning it won't matter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok I actually thought something was wrong with my Rav as I started getting the beeps. It happened 2 times and thought the car was acting up. I then figured how to make it beep buy pressing firmly on the pedal. I was starting to think i had a defective master cylinder or abs pump. Im glad i found this post :)

-mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use it

I used it when going up a hill with my boat behind me... when I would let off the break the rav will roll back, but with hill assist... I was able to let my foot of the break... allowing me to put much less pressure on the gas...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts