Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody install a hitch yet? I am thinking of going the Curt route as that is what I have used in the past. If you have a hitch...how was the install? Pics?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anybody install a hitch yet? I am thinking of going the Curt route as that is what I have used in the past. If you have a hitch...how was the install? Pics?
You can use either a Curt 1-1/4-inch Class II hitch # C12108 or the 2-inch Class III hitch # C13149. There is a installation video on the etrailer site.

The T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector #18578 works for the light hookup. It also has a install video on the etrailer site.

I have installed both on my 2016 Hybrid Rav4 with minor adjustments.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use either a Curt 1-1/4-inch Class II hitch # C12108 or the 2-inch Class III hitch # C13149. There is a installation video on the etrailer site.

The T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector #18578 works for the light hookup. It also has a install video on the etrailer site.

I saw that. I just wanted to see if anybody had real world experience installing it.

What kind of minor adjustments did you have to make?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I saw that. I just wanted to see if anybody had real world experience installing it.

What kind of minor adjustments did you have to make?
Here is my post from another thread that might help:

Installing Hitch and Wiring

I chose the 1 1/4 hitch because I use it primarily for a bike rack and for an occasional trailer pull. It is also available in the 2 inch size.

Actually, on the eTrailer site Curt hitch there are numerous pictures and a complete video for the hitch install and the page for the wiring kit also has a good installation video.

These installs apply to the 2013-2015 Rav4, and except for two modification they applicable for the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid.

Modifications for the hitch - cover panel to modify:
The 2016 RAV4 Hybrid has a plastic cover panel covering the tie down rack. It was easy to remove, but it had to be modified and replaced after the hitch installation. I just used a cutting tool to cut away a small part of the plastic cover to make room for the hitch before reinstalling.

Modification for the wiring - In the Hybrid the 12 volt battery is located in the back under the floor:
Actually, this makes the install easier, because you aren't required to run a wire all the way up to a front mounted battery. The wire assembly is mounted right next to the battery.

Trailer Hitch Site:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-C12108.html

Hitch Wiring Kit:
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...v4-118578.aspx

If you are going to do the wiring yourself .... you will need this "Trim Panel Tool" or something similar:
https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Power...ALL648544.html

I hope that helps.

jw

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmmm... If I don't want the lights, is the install much easier? At this point we have no trailer to pull, nor do we desire to pull a trailer. Ideally, I'd want to have a hitch that requires no modifications to the RAV4 Hybrid.

I'm debating whether or not to use my existing 2" Yakima Kingpin 4 hitch mount bike rack from my old Prius. The reason I went with a 2" hitch was because the bike racks are beefier. The other alternative would just be to invest in a roof rack, which might come in handy in the future if we get the kids out on to ski hills when they get a bit older.

And yes, I really had a 2" hitch on my Prius, but it was only for bikes. However, most rack places wouldn't even install a 2" hitch on such a car. The 2" I got was a custom design specifically for the Prius by a small third party Prius accessories maker.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmmm... If I don't want the lights, is the install much easier? At this point we have no trailer to pull, nor do we desire to pull a trailer. Ideally, I'd want to have a hitch that requires no modifications to the RAV4 Hybrid.

I'm debating whether or not to use my existing 2" Yakima Kingpin 4 hitch mount bike rack from my old Prius. The reason I went with a 2" hitch was because the bike racks are beefier. The other alternative would just be to invest in a roof rack, which might come in handy in the future if we get the kids out on to ski hills when they get a bit older.

And yes, I really had a 2" hitch on my Prius, but it was only for bikes. However, most rack places wouldn't even install a 2" hitch on such a car. The 2" I got was a custom design specifically for the Prius by a small third party Prius accessories maker.
Anyone planning to use the Curt 12108 1 1/4" hitch for a bike rack should note that Curt's warranty requires that you use a stabilizing strap for any non-trailer load.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From this thread I ordered the C13149 2 inch class 3 hitch. Went to install today and found it did not fit as shipped. Just not wide enough to line up with the chassis holes. Close, so I am hoping tomorrow to use my body jack and expand the width of the flanges another 1/2 inch. They appeared to be slightly bend inward. Putting a bolt in once side and then trying to pry the other side wide enough to start the bolt, just could not do it. Otherwise if I am successful to straighten the flanges this hitch should work fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed a 2 inchCurt hitch on my 2015 Limited. Easy install. Frame is pre-drilled for hitch. I have a Thule bike rack and it works great. The bike rack will fit a two inch or one and a quarter receiver.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed the CURT 13149 hitch this weekend on my 2016 SE. Took me about 20-30 minutes. Would be easier with 2 people but wasn't hard with just 1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Success today ! Apparently I just received a hitch that shouldn't have made it past the QC department. I used my body jack and expanded the flanges about 1/2" until they appeared to be straight. Then installed with no problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Has anyone installed this Curt hitch (13149) on their RAV4 hybrid? Any fitment issues? What Curt wiring harness did you get? The Amazon website says this hitch is not compatible with the hybrid?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anyone installed this Curt hitch (13149) on their RAV4 hybrid? Any fitment issues? What Curt wiring harness did you get? The Amazon website says this hitch is not compatible with the hybrid?
Not trying to be a dick, but if you read the thread it looks like many people have, including the post directly before yours

·
Registered
211 Posts
The thread right before mine says his car is a RAV4 SE, that's not a hybrid. The second part of the question about the wiring harnesses I haven't seen mentioned with part numbers...I skimmed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is my post from another thread that might help:

Installing Hitch and Wiring

I chose the 1 1/4 hitch because I use it primarily for a bike rack and for an occasional trailer pull. It is also available in the 2 inch size.

Actually, on the eTrailer site Curt hitch there are numerous pictures and a complete video for the hitch install and the page for the wiring kit also has a good installation video.

These installs apply to the 2013-2015 Rav4, and except for two modification they applicable for the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid.

Modifications for the hitch - cover panel to modify:
The 2016 RAV4 Hybrid has a plastic cover panel covering the tie down rack. It was easy to remove, but it had to be modified and replaced after the hitch installation. I just used a cutting tool to cut away a small part of the plastic cover to make room for the hitch before reinstalling.

Modification for the wiring - In the Hybrid the 12 volt battery is located in the back under the floor:
Actually, this makes the install easier, because you aren't required to run a wire all the way up to a front mounted battery. The wire assembly is mounted right next to the battery.

Trailer Hitch Site:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-C12108.html

Hitch Wiring Kit:
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...v4-118578.aspx

If you are going to do the wiring yourself .... you will need this "Trim Panel Tool" or something similar:
https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Power...ALL648544.html

I hope that helps.

jw

Ours is a Hybrid. Ordered per this quote. The hitch is installed. Have not done the wiring yet. Was concerned also about any differences for the Hybrid, but after reviewing the videos, should be easier than a non-hybrid installation. You don't have to run the power connection to the battery up front.

·
Registered
7 Posts

This is the part # I ordered for our Hybrid.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts