Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in the battery thread but its already burried.

As a preventative measure I’d like to trickle charge my 12v battery. Any harm in putting a 1.5 or 5 amp charger on the battery post in the fuse box?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I put my 5amp Battery Tender Plus on the post, and put the negative aligator clip on a bolt close to the firewall. My tender went from Bulk, to Absorption, to float within 15 minutes.

I know my car has only been sitting for a day, but I’m happy to see the charger didn’t need to do any heavy lifting.

This is easy enough to do - I’ll add it to my weekly or bi-weekly maintenance until somebody posts the drain issue is gone.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
830 Posts
If you choose to do this, make sure the charger is designed to work work with AGM batteries.

You are probably better off running your hybrid for atleast 1/2 hour per week to keep the 12 volt charged as well as keeping the HV from getting completely depleted. I have a Prius that does not get driven much, I make sure to drive it alteast once or twice a week. The manual even states something like this that the car should be run atleast weekly.

Now if you have the "battery issue" if it were me, I would just jump it each time until a solution is available or pursue a lemon law if that is an option for you and that is what you want.

I asked this question in the battery thread but its already burried.

As a preventative measure I’d like to trickle charge my 12v battery. Any harm in putting a 1.5 or 5 amp charger on the battery post in the fuse box?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tender is good to go w/ AGMs. I take my car out more frequently then a few times a week, so theoretically I should be good. I keep reading about these phantom drains though - I just don’t want to join the club.

I love this particular vehicle - I have no interest in lemon law or anything of that nature. I just bought the 7/125k platinum warranty - I plan to hold onto this vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
830 Posts
Got it. I love my XSE but I do have a new concern about the roof rack leaking.

No parasitic drain issues on the 2019s so changes to DCM and other things were made. I read about TSBs but not sure if Toyota has figured it out yet.

I would carry a lithium jump pack for a while. Any one will do as it does not take much amperage to get the computer into "ready" as you can see form the size of the 12 volt aux battery. Now is a good time if you are not familiar to know how to jump a hybrid via the the tab under the hood in the fuse box and where to find a ground point.

My tender is good to go w/ AGMs. I take my car out more frequently then a few times a week, so theoretically I should be good. I keep reading about these phantom drains though - I just don’t want to join the club.

I love this particular vehicle - I have no interest in lemon law or anything of that nature. I just bought the 7/125k platinum warranty - I plan to hold onto this vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now is a good time if you are not familiar to know how to jump a hybrid via the the tab under the hood in the fuse box and where to find a ground point.
That’s how I have the battery tender connected.

Reactions: Variman

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,227 Posts
Rather than worry about battery maintainers, make sure your firmware is up to date with T-SB-0095-20 which fixes many 12v battery exhaustion issues in 2020 models.

The battery maintainer you want needs to be matched to the type of battery you are using. AGMs are different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The spec sheet on my BatteryTender brand says its AGM compatible.

My dealer won’t flash my firmware unless I show the symptoms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice ! I don’t have the block heater, so hopefully my being diligent and doing this off the fuse block w/ the hood open will do the job. For all I know I don’t even have the problem, but its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My dealer won’t flash my firmware unless I show the symptoms.
That's too bad but I am not sure they can't really tell if you had the issue or not.
I just told my dealer that one day after sitting for a couple of weeks, the batter was dead.
After a bit of a discussion explaining why they would never be able to duplicate, they did the FW update.

Also show them that the phone app can not lock the doors remotely and you will get the error code mentioned in the TSB. That should be enough to get fixed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's too bad but I am not sure they can't really tell if you had the issue or not.
I just told my dealer that one day after sitting for a couple of weeks, the batter was dead.
After a bit of a discussion explaining why they would never be able to duplicate, they did the FW update.

Also show them that the phone app can not lock the doors remotely and you will get the error code mentioned in the TSB. That should be enough to get fixed.
My phone app actually works. Does that mean I shouldn’t have the problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts