Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife is super jealous of the kick sensor in my 2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, her 2019 Rav4 Adventure doesn't come with it (even though its completely fully loaded). As the lift gate is still powered on the Adventure, has anyone added an aftermarket kick sensor?

She wants it badly, so I have no problem paying an installer 3-$500 for it, I just need to know if such a thing even exist.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Ebay had 4th gen kick sensors for $50 which some here have used on the 4th gens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I brought one of "Kick to Open" kits for my 2017 Rav4 Limited Hybrid. I installed it per instructions (which were in Chinese - used Google translator). It only worked to close the tailgate but would not open it. The kit says to connect the output sensor wire to the On Tailgate Switch; however, I believe this switch is disable when the gate is closed. Hence tailgate can not be opened when Kick sensor is activated.

I watched a YouTube video where a guy (Rav Ltd) was able to get his install to work correctly. However, his On Tailgate Switch had 3 wires mine only has 2 wires? So beware of these kits they may or may not for your Rav.

Note: I believe I might be able to get my system to work by running the sensor wire to the Dashboard Switch instead of the Tailgate since the Dash Switch is always active. However, this is allot harder job... Right now I'm not motivated enough to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious about adding the foot sensor to my wife's Adventure model as well. I'm shocked that no one has done this, hopefully we'll here something soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How did you connect the signal wire to the tailgate switch? Did you pick the switch in the front cabin near the steering wheel or right on the tailgate?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I brought one of "Kick to Open" kits for my 2017 Rav4 Limited Hybrid. I installed it per instructions (which were in Chinese - used Google translator). It only worked to close the tailgate but would not open it. The kit says to connect the output sensor wire to the On Tailgate Switch; however, I believe this switch is disable when the gate is closed. Hence tailgate can not be opened when Kick sensor is activated.

I watched a YouTube video where a guy (Rav Ltd) was able to get his install to work correctly. However, his On Tailgate Switch had 3 wires mine only has 2 wires? So beware of these kits they may or may not for your Rav.

Note: I believe I might be able to get my system to work by running the sensor wire to the Dashboard Switch instead of the Tailgate since the Dash Switch is always active. However, this is allot harder job... Right now I'm not motivated enough to do it.

I think there is also a setting in the dealers computer that needs to be turned on.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Any luck?

I have a 2016 limited. Bought a kick sensor with 6 wires. I am able to get the sensor to work when closing the back, not opening. My tailgate switch has 3 wires, but I still can’t get it. Any suggestions? I will try and hunt down that YouTube video.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If this helps anyone out, I have a 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE. My XSE did not come with the premium package. So, it has no kick sensor. A friend gave me the kick sensor assembly from his 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE with the premium package. He had to remove the kick sensor to install the Toyota trailer hitch. I removed my bumper valance. The cable to connect the kick sensor was not installed in my RAV4.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4
13 Posts

I fitted kicksensor to my 2019. Above is the part numbers needed. ( Executive, highest grade in Europe )

Sensor
Mount for sensor
Wire harness.

Those numbers fit my japan build, Parking sensors in the rear.
The harness is mounted in the rear bumber and easily exchanged with the bumper removed.

After install the sensor works right away both for opening and closing. A "new" menu will appear in the middle menu.
Plug and play with the right harness for your car 👍

1 - 20 of 40 Posts