Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any luck?

I have a 2016 limited. Bought a kick sensor with 6 wires. I am able to get the sensor to work when closing the back, not opening. My tailgate switch has 3 wires, but I still can’t get it. Any suggestions? I will try and hunt down that YouTube video.
An update...

For reference, here are the wires from my kit:
  • red: acc
  • yellow: 5+
  • black: ground
  • blue: tailgate detection
  • green: internal switch on bottom of hatch (to close)
  • white: external switch by license plate (to open)
If I attach the white wire to pin 1 (of 3) on the 3 wire external (license plate) switch, and keep the blue wire disconnected, it will kick-to-open only. If I only attach the blue wire to pin 3 (of 3), it will kick-to-close only. If they are both connected (white to pin 1 blue to pin 3), it will only kick-to-close. If they are both connected to pin 1, it will only kick-to-open. If they are both connected to pin 3, it will only kick to close... still no way to have both work. I think I need a mercury switch or something.

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 156796

I fitted kicksensor to my 2019. Above is the part numbers needed. ( Executive, highest grade in Europe )

Sensor
Mount for sensor
Wire harness.

Those numbers fit my japan build, Parking sensors in the rear.
The harness is mounted in the rear bumber and easily exchanged with the bumper removed.

After install the sensor works right away both for opening and closing. A "new" menu will appear in the middle menu.
Plug and play with the right harness for your car 👍

Did you install it yourself? or the dealership did for you?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I work at a dealership as body technican so did it myself

Do you need special equipment to install it or activated on your car's computer ? If you weren't working at a dearlership and just got the parts would you be able to install it yourself? The three parts you mentioned do they come with everything a DIY owner can do if they wanted to?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I work at a dealership as body technican so did it myself

Do you need special equipment to install it or activated on your car's computer ? If you weren't working at a dearlership and just got the parts would you be able to install it yourself? The three parts you mentioned do they come with everything a DIY owner can do if they wanted to?

·
Registered
2019 Rav4
13 Posts
No special equipment needed.
When you change the wire harness the kicksensor settings appear in the menu at the speedometer.
I forgot to mention that you will also need 3 screws and 2 plastic holders, I can check those parts numbers when at work today.

It is just finding "the right" wire harness that can be a little tricky becuse there are multiple to choose from.

The install is very easy when the bumber is removed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No special equipment needed.
When you change the wire harness the kicksensor settings appear in the menu at the speedometer.
I forgot to mention that you will also need 3 screws and 2 plastic holders, I can check those parts numbers when at work today.

It is just finding "the right" wire harness that can be a little tricky becuse there are multiple to choose from.

The install is very easy when the bumber is removed.

The wire harness is hidden on the right or less side of the car? How many were there?
If you could please check on the other remaining parts. I was looking into installing a third party kick sensor.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4
13 Posts
The wire harness is connected on the left side in the rear.

The bracket for a prime is 891B1-42030
The sensor 891B2-0W050
Screw x3 90167-50063
Clip x2 90467-07215

There are about 10 different harness, have in mind that i can only see eu spec

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm, that sounds tempting. I'd be interested to install it for my 2019 XLE. Just need to find the right harness.

·
Registered
70 Posts

The sensor 891B2-0W050
Screw x3 90167-50063
Clip x2 90467-07215

May be a silly question, but do you know if the 9" entertainment screen is a drop-in replacement to the 8"? There are a few third party alternatives to the built-in Toyota display which seem to fit either model of Prime, but it's not clear whether that also means the 8" and 9" are interchangeable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
An update...

If I attach the white wire to pin 1 (of 3) on the 3 wire external (license plate) switch, and keep the blue wire disconnected, it will kick-to-open only. If I only attach the blue wire to pin 3 (of 3), it will kick-to-close only. If they are both connected (white to pin 1 blue to pin 3), it will only kick-to-close. If they are both connected to pin 1, it will only kick-to-open. If they are both connected to pin 3, it will only kick to close... still no way to have both work. I think I need a mercury switch or something.
Final update... I installed the mercury switch (5mm), and it works perfectly. Pin 1 (white) is connected directly. Pin 3 is connected to a mercury switch and that is connected to the blue wire. The mercury switch is pointing toward the license plate. When the hatch is up, the switch is closed. When it’s down, the switch is open. I hope this helps someone else.

The following picture was taken with the hatch open, through the rectangular panel, from the driver’s side.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry to bring up an older thread but this is one feature my wife says she wishes she had in her '20 RAV4 Hybrid XSE. Is there a way to tell if the wiring harness is already there for this? She also wanted the rain sensing wipers but I assume that's harder to retrofit.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry to bring up an older thread but this is one feature my wife says she wishes she had in her '20 RAV4 Hybrid XSE. Is there a way to tell if the wiring harness is already there for this? She also wanted the rain sensing wipers but I assume that's harder to retrofit.
Highly UNLIKELY you can retrofit an OEM kick sensor.
2020 XSE Hybrid trim appears NOT to even have it listed on any option packages. You’ll have to sell or trade-in and get a 2021 model. You can always pull the rear bumper cover off and see if there is an actual unused connector that fits the kick sensor harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 156796

I fitted kicksensor to my 2019. Above is the part numbers needed. ( Executive, highest grade in Europe )

Sensor
Mount for sensor
Wire harness.

Those numbers fit my japan build, Parking sensors in the rear.
The harness is mounted in the rear bumber and easily exchanged with the bumper removed.

After install the sensor works right away both for opening and closing. A "new" menu will appear in the middle menu.
Plug and play with the right harness for your car 👍
hi friend i am new in hear as my car is 2021 rav4 hybrid Ireland .. can you able to show any pic of all those item its will help me to buy them from local shop or scrap ,,, or any info about item fitting you can shear appreciate please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi i guys i found everything i need for fitting kick sensor but little confuse abut wire harness,,, anyone can help please which wire harness should buy and connect to where,,, appreciate help,, please thanks....

·
Registered
11 Posts

The sensor 891B2-0W050
Screw x3 90167-50063
Clip x2 90467-07215

Thank you for pulling the part list together for us! I am trying to install a kick sensor on my Prime SE. Can you confirm that the sensor just plugs in or if I need some kind of wire harness? Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
i order all parts as other user indicate,,,,,, now wait for deliver and good time to have look behind the bumper,,, no one can say how its look behind the bumper or where to connect the luggage door wire no.2. every one say its plug and play....just finger cross

21 - 40 of 40 Posts