Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do a retrofit and wondering if anyone has done this. Note I said retrofit not just installation. The retrofit includes a projector housing as well not just blasting beams of light all over the place that looks like garbage :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looking to do a retrofit and wondering if anyone has done this. Note I said retrofit not just installation. The retrofit includes a projector housing as well not just blasting beams of light all over the place that looks like garbage :)
The 2016 has a projector housing, not sure why would you need to do a retrofit.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think what he meant was that the optics for a system made to use halogen bulbs are different than those used for "HID" or Xenon bulbs. Just putting those bulbs into the existing housing, while impressively bright does not meet DOT or any other standards. Replacing the projector optics with something made for HID bulbs and correctly aligning them in this case would be considered a "retrofit." And apparently so far has not been done by others on this forum.

Neptune, I've seen this done in other cars with reflector housings but it could be easier or more difficult in this case depending on how much space you have in the housing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what he meant was that the optics for a system made to use halogen bulbs are different than those used for "HID" or Xenon bulbs. Just putting those bulbs into the existing housing, while impressively bright does not meet DOT or any other standards. Replacing the projector optics with something made for HID bulbs and correctly aligning them in this case would be considered a "retrofit." And apparently so far has not been done by others on this forum.

Neptune, I've seen this done in other cars with reflector housings but it could be easier or more difficult in this case depending on how much space you have in the housing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks, theretrofitsource apparently sells a bracket to mount the HID directly in the existing projector and unless anything has changed NDOT considers any aftermarket HID kit illegal anyway so that's an issue I have to deal with :p

Being familiar with HID systems and doing a retrofit on my old Yamaha 1300 there's just a mechanical switch that lifts a screen that allows for your "high beams" which seems to be the same for the existing headlights anyway. There's a single bulb for DRL/Lo/Hi DRL is lowest voltage, Lo and Hi are the same voltage just lifts the cover up to expose the rest of the light. I haven't checked with TRS yet but they have a regular and a high beam kit which seems odd to me since they are the same bulb in OEM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts