Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 V-6 base Rav4. Has anyone else experienced a resonance / vibration / booming at 55-60 mph, in top gear, with the torque converter locked up and cruise control on (1500-1800 RPM)? I notice it more with the cruise on, but it is still there not using the cruise. I think it is exhaust system related because it seem to be coming from the right rear.

Anyone else out there notice this?

[Administrator Note: Message #198 of this thread contains a link to an official TSB released by Toyota that "should" fix this issue.]

S

·
0 Posts
booming? you mean when engaging the hyperdrive and jumping to mach 5? maybe you are crossing the sound barrier. lol.

ok kiddings aside, it coud be exhaust related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I have the vibration as well. I have a 4wd V6 Sport. It only lasts for a bit, and is not distracting at all. I do have rattlles that are way more annoying :x

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yup, I have it when cruising around 50 to 55 with very little gas. Last a few seconds and is like the stero bass rumbling, but it also happens when the radio is off. Happens every couple of minutes and pressing the gas pedal stops it. Not had a chance to talk to the dealer about this...yet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
After driving today for long periods at 50-60mph, I totally believe its the exhaust as any gas pedal movement/rpm change/gear shift etc instantly silences the noise.

A

·
0 Posts
We have that resonance as well at about 80 km/hr (50 mph) when cruising steady state in OD. Have about 2000 km on the vehicle. I believe it is drivetrain harmonics at that particular engine rpm, but could be exhaust system harmonics at that particular condition. I do not find it annoying as most vehicles will have their own harmonics at a particular set of conditions.

Have not yet tried, but a test of this would be to see if the resonance is repeated at about same rpm when in 4th gear.

A

·
0 Posts
Would have to re-check to be sure but somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm. I just spotted this forum last night and thus have not done much of a technical assessment. Will post again if I find out anything useful in a day or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yup, noticed it here too. Because the gearing is so low to get the good fuel economy #'s, the drone is the exhaust note for such a low RPM.

At least, that is what my phsycic told me :eek: :lol: J/K

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a v6 sport and have also experienced this. The best way I can describe the feeling and noise is when the shifter is in 'D' (overdrive); and you're applying light pressure against the gas pedal, right around the speeds of 55-60mph; it can give you a 'bogged down' feeling - similar to the feeling of having a manual transmission in the top gear at too slow of a speed. (i.e. driving at 35 mph in 5th gear with a manual transmission).

I suspect kimmcc's explanation of the gearing being too low to be correct.

A

·
0 Posts
I still believe it is simply the natural harmonics of the engine under low rpm and light to medium load. In our V6, I did a test today and I can make it happen starting at ~1500 rpm in top gear (50mph) and also as high as 1700 rpm. It is not very noticeable and is not an issue in my mind.

P.S. I am a Mechanical Engineer by profession and know that every picce of rotating equipment made has its own frequency at which its natural harmonic is reached (vibration amplification).

A 4 cylinder typically has a more pronounced natural harmonic than a 6, which in turn is more pronounced than an 8, etc.

S

·
0 Posts
Altared, I agree, it is almost impossible to get rid of certain RPM vibration. It is simply the law of dynamics.

But vibration could be felt from the driveshaft too, if it is not balanced.

Especially on 4wd systems. Also do not forget, that the toyo 4wd system engages all wheels at linear acceleration. It very well could be that the cause.

1 - 20 of 325 Posts