Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2015 RAV4 on Tuesday and the very next day the check engine light was on. Took it in and they told me (after 6 hours) that they had seen a "few" new from the factory that have problems with the an engine sealant leaking into the oil and they changed the oil twice and it went away.

I pick it up the next day, drive 5 miles, and it comes on again, back into the shop for the 2nd time in 3 days since I purchased it! Now, after two full days in the shop, they tell me they have consulted with Toyota and need to order a new VVTi and new OCV (Oil Control Valve) and I will hopefully get it back by Tuesday!

If I do get it back Tuesday, that will mean that 6 of the first 7 days I have owned this brand new vehicle it will have sat in the dealer's Service center rather than my garage.

Anyone else have any initial quality problems with these components? I'm freaking out.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Welcome! Where are you located - your profile info appears to be the forum default.

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
What a horror story! I hope they get it squared away this time. I would begin investigating the lemon laws in your state to get familiar with them.......just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a horror story! I hope they get it squared away this time. I would begin investigating the lemon laws in your state to get familiar with them.......just in case.
Yes, I have read up on the Lemon Law in NY State, thanks. I did a lot of research and test drove a lot of different cars and went with the RAV4 because of its and Toyota's reputation and then I get this.

I am asking the dealer to 'exchange' it for a different RAV4 from their lot (which I am sure they won't do) or put their money where their mouth is on the quality of Toyota RAV4s by extending my warranty.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Your RAV has the symptoms of being a lemon and hopefully you can get the dealer to exchange it for a different one. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your RAV has the symptoms of being a lemon and hopefully you can get the dealer to exchange it for a different one. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!
How could you consider one problem a lemon? You can't build millions of vehicles and have all of them come out perfect. I know it is a frustrating issue, but to consider it a lemon at this point, is being pretty unreasonable.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
How could you consider one problem a lemon? You can't build millions of vehicles and have all of them come out perfect. I know it is a frustrating issue, but to consider it a lemon at this point, is being pretty unreasonable.
I would be quite concerned if the underlying problem has already damaged the VVTi.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts

Lemon laws generally have their basis in a vehicle having a problem which is not repaired upon a given number of attempts. And there may well be consequent engine damage in this instance which could result in the RAV being in the shop even more and so unusable by the owner. In such an instance it does not meet the accepted standards for marketability, that the goods which are sold are sold on the assumption that they will be usable as advertised.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's had what appears to me to be two different problems by reading the initial service record. First was debris in the oil, then code P000012 which sounds ominous when I researched it. They haven't told me what codes came up when I brought it in the second time but they already had to consult with Toyota and replace what appears to me to be two pretty major engine components which makes me REALLY worry that some permanent damage has been done to the engine that could cost me thousands of dollars down the line after my warranty expires.

If it was a windshield motor or headlight assembly or something minor - no big deal, but critical engine components?

I am sick with worry about this and going to demand an exchange for a different RAV4. I understand why they don't want to do that, but who can afford to 'eat' the problem financially more, the consumer (me), the largest dealership group in the area, or one of the world's largest automobile manufacturers? I better get some KY Jelly cause I got a feeling I know who is gonna end up getting screwed here.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Consult with a 'lemon law' knowledgable attorney before you buy the KY; you just might not need it down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts