Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I thought it must be a car next to me, but have noticed it when I'm not parked next to anyone. It's just a faint smell of antifreeze and I don't see any leaks or loss of fluid but it is kind of strange for a new vehicle. I'm going to take it to the dealer to have them tell me they can't find anything just to get it logged as a problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

06 RAV4 V6

Thanks
Tim

J

·
0 Posts
Post subject: Anyone else notice an antifreeze smell?

I also notice an antifreeze smell. I can't see anything either.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have found in my present car that the antifreeze smell can be from the windshield washer system fluid. it can depend on the brand or if there is a minor leak. take a look

·
Registered
233 Posts
The temperatures are rising and maybe the smell comes from excessive coolant that goes throught the pressure releave valve.

Just an uneducated guess... :roll:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
BarnyFife said:
I too smell coolant sometimes, but no leaks. the overflow tank is full.
Hmmm..looks like the quote feature is having problems...

If the overflow tank is FULL to the top there is a over flow pipe sticking out the side by the cap. Don't know how much pressure has to occur before the cap would allow coolant to escape via the over flow pipe but any coolant going through this pipe will just spill over the engine compartment as there isn't a hose connected to it to drain fluid out of the engine bay :wall

Also a loose cap or bad cap could allow coolant to escape.

Worse case would be a leak in the cooling system somewhere.

In any case this should be checked out under warranty

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
closed system. No way you should EVER smell coolant unless thereis a leak OR its overheating..

Raffor said:
The temperatures are rising and maybe the smell comes from excessive coolant that goes throught the pressure releave valve.

Just an uneducated guess... :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
I do get some smell, but I am not sure if it is a coolant. Could be tranny fluid?

Kind of a burnt smell a bit.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
im saying that I do not think you are smelling coolant. Maybe its the anti rust that is buring off the exhaust that is sprayed on at the factory..

ppuder said:
so, what exactly are you trying to say, flyin? :lol:

P

·
0 Posts
I know -- I was kidding. I thought it was kinda funny that you had said the same thing three times and everyone was still talking around you. :lol: I guess if you're the author, it could be more annoying than funny, ay? :wink:

flyingn said:
its a closed system. You should never smell coolant..
flyingn said:
let me repete what I said. If you smell coolant you have a leak.. Maybe its what barney said..
flyingn said:
closed system. No way you should EVER smell coolant unless thereis a leak OR its overheating..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
flyingn said:
LOL I know. it is like I am talking to my wall lol.. Im just trying to help... For others to cash in on my extensive automotive knowledge.. 30 years of auto restoration, engine/trans building and auto racing.. Whatever.
Flyingn,

I think we all read what you posted it is just an observation that I guess more than just me has seen(or smelled). I was just curious if this was something that someone else has experienced and from the posts it has, I understand it's a closed system but this gives me some help when I go to the dealer to let them know what I'm seeing(or smelling). After I take it in to get it checked I will post what the results are. I will say it is definetly a coolant smell, I may not have 30 years of auto restoration but have smelled leaking coolant before. And no I'm not admitting it's leaking but your right the smell is coming from somewhere since it is a "closed system".

Thanks for your vast knowledge and for sharing it with us.

(yes I'm being a smartA$$)

Tim

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
flyingn said:
sniff around the engine compartment to isolate from where its coming from? If you do have a leak, you should see steam vapors on a cool night..
The steam vapor used to come from the inside of the car when I was younger and in High School :mrgreen:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My take on the coolant smell

I too smelled a faint coolant smell, but was 90°F+ with the A/C on. It was the hottest day so far this summer.

I know that Rav has a closed system, but there is still a pressure relief. If the coolant heats up, the liquid expands and the head space in the reservoir will be reduced. That will increase the pressure in the system and if it gets above the relief pressure of the cap, it would vent. Any air in the reservoir will have some content of coolant vapor in it. If that air escapes, you would be able to smell coolant, (as a number of you have).

The only way the system would need to vent again, is if the coolant got hotter than it had previously. Once it heats up and reaches a larger volume (because of expansion), it should not have to vent again until either you open the cap, or your operating temperature gets above where it vented the last time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts