Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's why I ask...

I've got a 2004 5 Spd 2.4 with about 11,000km (6600 miles for you yanks :wink: )

Since about a month after I got it, it's been notchy in 1st & 2nd, and a little 'jerky' as well.

The upshift into 2nd has always been not very smooth. I spoke to one dealer who blew me off saying 'they're all like that'

Anyone run into this?

K

·
0 Posts
Mine's like that too...

I have a 2004 B Package, 5 spd with about 4000 km on it. It is definitely "notchy" in 1st and 2nd and a bit jerky, but really only when cold. It has a service appointment in August and it's something I will have them look at.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you find that it almost grinds into 2nd?

As far as I'm concerned either:

a)the tranny was misassembled/engineered from the factory

or

b)there is a problem with the clutch system.

M

·
0 Posts
Same problem here. I thought that the clutch was too short, giving too little pedal movement between the clutch being open and engaged. Releasing the clutch slowly makes for a smooth change from 1st to 2nd, but sometimes, especially when colder, there's little I can do to stop the jerking. And that's 109,300km later (68,300 miles).

Like Kryten, I've also found that higher revs will make for a smoother change, but I hardly ever go past 3,500rpm, usually changing at 2,500rpm. Perhaps a part of the problem is the decent low-rev torque the RAV gets, with the engine losing little speed when the clutch is engaged quickly. That translates to sudden acceleration which is the jerking we experience, simply because the engine doesn't like slowing down.

I'd say it's common to all manual transmission RAV's. One of the RAV's few quirks, one that I'll smile at and happily blame on torque. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmmm... my RAV (5-speed, manual trans) doesn't act notchy or jerky. I do wish they'd refined the shift mechanism more, but that doesn't affect the transmission itself.

R

·
0 Posts
I have a 2003 5-spd and I too noticed it is not very smooth(almost have to force it) into 2nd or 1st. I get the transmission fluid changed every 24,000kms so its not that. Its either a problem with the manuals or normal. I cant remember if it started that way but I would not have bought it if it shifted like that. I will see what the service techs say.

·
Registered
771 Posts
NO PROBLEM HERE! Oh wait. Mine is an automatic. Thats why I bought it. I found the standard to be too "jumpy" I've driven a bunch of them since then ( all different years ) and they are all the same.

I prefer the auto in just about everything because of the smoothness. Standard is great don't get me wrong but not always for the passengers. Passengers always find it jerky no matter what kind of car it is because as a driver we prepare our body for the gear change.

Others in the vehicle typically are not as happy with the ride of a standard tranny. It may be more fun for the driver and a little better fuel economy but the difference is ride quality is worth spending the extra on an auto in my oppinion.

Unless its a sports car with gobs of power there really isn't much difference in power of a little 2.0 engine.

In fact back in the "muscle car" age the automatic was the thing to have with 400+ hp. With that much power and the type of suspension available back then the last thing you wanted to worry about was shifting gears. You needed both hands on the wheel all the time to keep it on the road.

I'm sure I'll see alot of opinions on this. I prefer the smoothness. Yes there are alot of autos that are not very smooth but typically it makes everyone who rides in one much happier. You never see Limos with a standard tranny. There is a reason for that.

If you love them great!
I'm not a huge fan.
I would, however, buy a Corvette or Viper with one.

Trade it and buy an automatic if you want smooth shifts.

Go easy guys! M.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got over 250 km (still on the free tank of gas!) on my brand new RAV4 and I do notice that it's a little twitchy taking off in 1st and shifting from 1st to 2nd. I agree that it's mainly a torque issue and I am getting better at smoothing out my shifts. My only beef (minor) with the RAV4 is the security cover in the back which is more a pain than anything else. It now resides on the shelf in the garage.

G

·
0 Posts
Driller said:
My only beef (minor) with the RAV4 is the security cover in the back which is more a pain than anything else. It now resides on the shelf in the garage.
I took my out this morning. My wife insists that I put it back ASAP!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I switched mine to Redline MT 90 and it cured a lot of the hard shifting.

E

·
0 Posts
I've got a 2004 RAV4 Chili 5-speed manual... 22300 km on the odo as of today. Awesome vehicle.

I too have a similar complaint about the "jerkiness" of the RAV4, especially in first and second. I have the same problem both accelerating and decelerating. I sometimes can't get the revs right for my downshifts, and end up "jerking" the vehicle... I just cringe whenever it happens. :( I too feel that the problem goes away after the first five minutes of my morning commute and/or when I rev it higher than I normally do. I remember burning out the clutch in my old 1995 Tercel with only 83000 km (because I learned to drive stick on it), and I sure as heck hope not to do it again with my RAV4!!!

Sometimes, I feel that my old 1995 Tercel with a 4-speed manual is smoother than my RAV4! For a while, I even wished that I had bought an automatic, but oh well, the manual is more fun to drive. :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
The gear ratio difference between 1st and 2nd perhaps is what might make it jerky. I think 1st is pretty low(for off road due to lack of low range) and 2nd jumps up. I think toyota had to compromise and ensure the RAV4 has some offroad talent but maintain on-road feel.

Just a thought.

J

·
0 Posts
I have a 2002 5spd ... and i have noticed that it is kinda sticky and its like the transmissions hesitates to go into second gear.. sometimes .. it almost feels like it might grind but i think its only happend to me once

O

·
0 Posts
The action on the gear change can be a little notchy, but I quite like the feel of it. Jerking of the car when changing gear is down to the skill of the driver. I always use first just to get the car rolling, and then select second as early as possible to prevent any harshness.

When I learned to drive the big stuff, my instructor would sit his cup of tea on the dash and told me that I would wear his Thermos if I spilled anything, boy did that flask hurt :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts