Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steep slant on the cargo space in our Rav4 Hybrid is starting to bug me. Groceries roll down and spill into the back, the pupster's crate won't stay level, despite stuffing blankets and towels under it that keep shifting around. She won't go in it any more.

I'm considering some sort of homemade plywood or plexiglass mod with carpet, etc. to level it out.

Has anyone done this? Is there an aftermarket solution? It has to support groceries and the occasional 200-300 lb. load of mulch, etc.

Hopefully Toyota will go to smaller li-ion batteries and solve this. I'll trade if/when they do.

Unti then, any suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The rear floor is only slanted if you prop the floor up on the battery. It should be perfectly flat. Lift up the floor board and slide it toward the back and it will drop down.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear floor is only slanted if you prop the floor up on the battery. It should be perfectly flat. Lift up the floor board and slide it toward the back and it will drop down.
Thanks. Talking about when you have reae seats folded down. Propping the rear floor up actually makes it flatter, but the whole thing still slants.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand now. Usually I just tape together some Jenga blocks :) , but I'm not sure at how many points the movable portion of the trunk floor touches the bottom.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The steep slant on the cargo space in our Rav4 Hybrid is starting to bug me. Groceries roll down and spill into the back, the pupster's crate won't stay level, despite stuffing blankets and towels under it that keep shifting around. She won't go in it any more.

I'm considering some sort of homemade plywood or plexiglass mod with carpet, etc. to level it out.

Has anyone done this? Is there an aftermarket solution? It has to support groceries and the occasional 200-300 lb. load of mulch, etc.

Hopefully Toyota will go to smaller li-ion batteries and solve this. I'll trade if/when they do.

Unti then, any suggestions?
If Toyota decides to build a dedicated HV chassis for the Rav4, the battery will be under the floor pan like the other hybrids. Until than it won't matter what type battery is used, the seat will still stick up.

There are a couple threads with photos about removing the back seat, but its not a job for newbies and leaved the battery innards exposed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved

Our project for today was to solve the slanted cargo space problem. (I got annoyed once again last night when I had to put a pizza in the very back to keep it flat. Not to mention groceries falling into the back and spilling everywhere. Not to mention puppy doing the same thing.)

Anyway, we went to Lowes and got two 4x8 pieces of 3/4" sanded pine plywood, and some cheap black indoor-outdoor carpet. We had them cut the plywood into 63" by 25" pieces. This makes the start of a two-piece platform to make it easier to get in and out. We then did some measuring and tracing to make cutouts to fit the wheel wells, etc.

Note: we used the removable rear floor mat for a template, but that didn't work out. It didn't allow for the rear hatch intrusion into the space. We had to trim about 2" off the back to make it fit with the hatch closed.

Once we got them cutout we cut and covered and stapled the carpet, and then used some black duct tape around the edges underneath to keep the cheap carpet from fraying or snagging on anything. (We'll see how long that lasts.)

The end result looks FACTORY y'all! (Not really. If we had it do do over we'd consider taking the plywood cutouts to an auto upholstery shop and having them put the carpet on.)

At first we were going to use some cut and glued together Styrofoam insulation boards to make block stands/props for the back, but it turned out to be a mess. So instead we used two 11 1/2" tall storage containers, which work great and you can store stuff in them. We put rain gear and assorted other stuff in there.

We're happy, and puppy is happy!

Here are some photos of the project...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Reminds me of the plywood bed platform I used in my 1968 VW bus in 1971. :wink

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Our project for today was to solve the slanted cargo space problem. (I got annoyed once again last night when I had to put a pizza in the very back to keep it flat. Not to mention groceries falling into the back and spilling everywhere. Not to mention puppy doing the same thing.)

Anyway, we went to Lowes and got two 4x8 pieces of 3/4" sanded pine plywood, and some cheap black indoor-outdoor carpet. We had them cut the plywood into 63" by 25" pieces. This makes the start of a two-piece platform to make it easier to get in and out. We then did some measuring and tracing to make cutouts to fit the wheel wells, etc.

Note: we used the removable rear floor mat for a template, but that didn't work out. It didn't allow for the rear hatch intrusion into the space. We had to trim about 2" off the back to make it fit with the hatch closed.

Once we got them cutout we cut and covered and stapled the carpet, and then used some black duct tape around the edges underneath to keep the cheap carpet from fraying or snagging on anything. (We'll see how long that lasts.)

The end result looks FACTORY y'all! (Not really. If we had it do do over we'd consider taking the plywood cutouts to an auto upholstery shop and having them put the carpet on.)

At first we were going to use some cut and glued together Styrofoam insulation boards to make block stands/props for the back, but it turned out to be a mess. So instead we used two 11 1/2" tall storage containers, which work great and you can store stuff in them. We put rain gear and assorted other stuff in there.

We're happy, and puppy is happy!

Here are some photos of the project...
Nice job, but I have to wonder if you got the wrong vehicle for your needs. As long as you are happy, nothing else matters.

Reactions: rn701

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice build! I suspect I'll have to replace my car within the next year, so I've been looking around. So far the Rav4 Hybrid is at the top of the list, but the lack of flat floor really bugged me. I was already planning a hypothetical fix and yours looks very workable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One of the reasons (a minor reason to be sure) to look at the Rav4 instead of a Prius is the ability for me to stretch out in the back for a nap on long drives. I can deal with the cargo issues of only half a floor being on the level. I've been thinking that I could build some wedges with cargo dividers, drawers or trap door covered storage in each of the two or three that could flatten out a sleeping side of the cargo space. Thanks a bunch for posting this. It shows just how much of an incline the seats have to compensate for.

Michelle

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
One of the reasons (a minor reason to be sure) to look at the Rav4 instead of a Prius is the ability for me to stretch out in the back for a nap on long drives. I can deal with the cargo issues of only half a floor being on the level. I've been thinking that I could build some wedges with cargo dividers, drawers or trap door covered storage in each of the two or three that could flatten out a sleeping side of the cargo space. Thanks a bunch for posting this. It shows just how much of an incline the seats have to compensate for.

Michelle
You should look at the Prius-v. It has a fold-flat front seat and sliding rear seat that combine into a flat "bed". Besides which you can also lie down in the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should look at the Prius-v. It has a fold-flat front seat and sliding rear seat that combine into a flat "bed". Besides which you can also lie down in the back.
I've been thinking of this option. But the feature list is lacking on the 2017 Prius V. It looks like they want to phase it out. I'm not quite sure about the future of the product line. I also worry about parts availability for a product I'm planning to keep for a decade or more. The Prius V sort of gives me the jitters for some reason. It satisfies my needs but I don't feel comfortable with what seems to be obsolete technology. I may be overthinking the decision.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've been thinking of this option. But the feature list is lacking on the 2017 Prius V. It looks like they want to phase it out. I'm not quite sure about the future of the product line. I also worry about parts availability for a product I'm planning to keep for a decade or more. The Prius V sort of gives me the jitters for some reason. It satisfies my needs but I don't feel comfortable with what seems to be obsolete technology. I may be overthinking the decision.
Overthinking - yes. There are many Toyota models no longer being made that are fully supported. Besides which, most mechanical parts are used in more than one model. So that's a lot of supposition without any facts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I know I am coming in here late.. and maybe there is another forum for this. But As for sleeping in the back, could we put a micro shelf, that will lift the gap between the lil baby storage unit in the back and the floor. Sleeping with my back against the incline might not be bad. (don't know, haven't tried)

Any thoughts, PS: Great build on the shelf..

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, I know I am coming in here late.. and maybe there is another forum for this. But As for sleeping in the back, could we put a micro shelf, that will lift the gap between the lil baby storage unit in the back and the floor. Sleeping with my back against the incline might not be bad. (don't know, haven't tried)

Any thoughts, PS: Great build on the shelf..
I don't own my own, yet, but I did take a look at one because with car camping in mind. A mini shelf to even out the floor to the seats is totally doable. The seats slope a little more than I'd like to sleep on, though. I feel like the build that's in this thread is probably the best solution that I've seen. I'd really love to hear from someone who's actually slept in the Hybrid. Google spits out plenty of pictures and posts by people who have slept comfortably in the gas model, but nothing about sleeping in the back of the hybrid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts