Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, does anyone have a CB installed in their RAV? I"m curious if you do, where you mounted the antenna???? Does anyone have any pics of CB's in a RAV4??

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:arrow: for the CB :

:arrow: for the antenna, 2 option's :

in front

in back

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm interested as well........
In my '98 Rav I made an "inverted L" bracket and unbolted the top right bolt of the spare mount, passed the bolt thru a hole in the L bracket and back into the spare mount. Antenna was mounted thru a hole in the smaller part of the L. Ran the coax behind the spare, then behind the plastic panel (1st gen) on the outside of the rear door and up thru a drain hole into the door. Then out thru a hole near the upper hinge, into the rubber grommet behind the right tail lite. Then fished it behind the panels in the luggage comp to the tray in the bottom of the door openings, across the underside of the dash to the radio which was mounted vertically to the centre console beside my right leg. It was a lot of work but the coax was hidden, which was important to me.
I was using a 2 foot fiberglas antenna and it would pass thru my garage door opening without touching....again important...to me...

Unfortunately the spare is mounted closer to the door on my '05 Rav and I can't get the L bracket to fit.....but I'm still looking for a neat looking installation........I've considered a small standoff bracket mounted to the top of the left front fender using the fender bolts and near the "A" pillar to balance it with the am/fm antenna. But ignition noise might be a problem that close to the engine....

So I'm still looking at it, like yourself....... Hope you get some ideas from my old install...........sorry it was so wordy.... :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VeroLAN said:
No CB but I have an Amatuer Radio installed. I'll take some pics and post them.
Hey Brian,

As a future owner of a RAV4 and Amateur Radio operator [KG2S], I am interested in your installation. Where did you mount your antenna? Do you do any mobile HF work? Also, where is a good place to hide my Icom 706 MK II-G?

BTW - I am waiting for my 2005 L model to come in. I ordered it last Wednesday (Aug 31) from a dealer in Syracuse, NY.

Scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm looking for a good spot to put a 10-meter antenna on my '01 Rav also. I have a dual-band glass-mount on the front window which does me well for the local repeaters and stuff though. I was looking at the right-hand side rear bumper area, maybe there is some solid metal under that plastic that would hold the antenna and provide a good ground? If it was positioned right, it wouldn't interfere with the back door opening and closing. And a full 1/4 wave antenna would make my Rav look like a big R/C vehicle. :D

I've got my radio mounted in the back side-storage box over the accessory outlet, and the radio display panel I mounted in the little 'storage box' in the ceiling. I think it's normally for a garage-door opener or sunglasses or something? I removed the plastic door and put the radio's display up there. I also put a speaker in the ceiling just back from the maplights, so both driver and passenger can hear the radio just fine. The Mic is on the dash. I ran the mic wire up and put a little jack into the ashtray, so the mic plugs into the ashtray and hangs on the dash in easy reach.

I like having the radio head on the ceiling as nobody ever thinks to look there. I've had fellow hams in the car and they can never find the rig.

I can post pics if anyone's interested.

73 de va3uxb
-Stephanie

·
Registered
32 Posts
Driller said:
A 10 m (33') antenna! That's 3 stories high! Is that what peolpe use? Maybe 3 m (10').
10 meter refers to the wavelength: 28 MHz - 29.7 MHz is the '10-meter ham band'. At 29.00 MHz a 1/4 wave antenna would be about 2.58 meters. Not sure how that relates to feet exactly but I guess just under 10 feet. I used to have one on my pick-up, back before I got the Rav.

-Stephanie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok Here are the pics of my install, I'll let them speak for themselves. the radio is an Icom IC-208H. Radio is under the seat, control panel fits in modified cubby door (sorry best name I could think of) Mic Plug is RJ45 and I built a custom extension cable and mounted RJ45 jack in blank switch panel. Only bug is when the door is closed it presses the band button in the middle of the dial, I believe I can trim up enough space inside the door frame to stop this, but for now I just make sure it is off before I close the door.

Antenna pics, I have a larger antenna I screw on for long trips, antenna wire goes in track for luggage rack and in back door.

Another Pic, Antenna is a dual band 2m/440(70cm).

Custom call sign plate of course.

Door Closed

Door Open

Mic Mounted, can't see it but mount for Treo 650 cell phone above it.

Closeup of Mic Jack

Radio under seat, Zip tied to cross bar and seat material tiedown points, absolutly zero movement... I actually unbolted the seat and tipped it back to get it in. I hate working with zipties in tight spots.

Door Open closeup

Door closed Closeup

If anyone wants exact part numbers on Antenna and Mounts just let me know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Souvaman said:
Hey Brian,

As a future owner of a RAV4 and Amateur Radio operator [KG2S], I am interested in your installation. Where did you mount your antenna? Do you do any mobile HF work? Also, where is a good place to hide my Icom 706 MK II-G?

BTW - I am waiting for my 2005 L model to come in. I ordered it last Wednesday (Aug 31) from a dealer in Syracuse, NY.

Scott
Sorry Scott, only a tech class so far so no HF, with the 706 you can mount the radio under the seat like mine, but the face unit is going to have to be in the open, probably on the dash since it is rather large. Though it may fit in the garage door opener spot like Stephanie says his is, unless you got that smart garage controller option, iHome, or whatever they call it. The 208 has the smallest faceplate of any ICOM radio and it is exactly as wide as the outside of the little door, had to cut the door up to get it in. I'll take pics of the door modifications if you want to see them.

Stephanie - I'de be interested in pics of your setup.

KI4HLW

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stephanie said:
I'm looking for a good spot to put a 10-meter antenna on my '01 RAV also.

-Stephanie
Do you have that Yaesu quad band radio? I saw a pic of your mic in the GPS thread I think and when you mentioned 10m I thought you might have that rig. Diamond is making an antenna for it that does all 4 bands (10m/6m/2m/70cm) It's the CR-8900-A, only thing is it is 4 feet long. Would stop you from needing 2 antennas.

Then again if not this point is mute... I have an '05 so can't help you with the '01 antannea mount point, Sorry.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Nope, i don't got a CB radio

Having one would be cool though!....instead I simply have a public announcement system. It's kinda like the one's cops have. It's not quite loud enough to yell at other drivers, but it can definitely inform pedestrians that crossing in a red is illegal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
VeroLAN said:
Do you have that Yaesu quad band radio? I saw a pic of your mic in the GPS thread I think and when you mentioned 10m I thought you might have that rig.
I am saving up for that radio. At the moment I have a little FT-90 dual bander. Here is a pic of where I've mounted the controls and the speaker on the ceiling:

-Stephanie

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wow, you people are pretty creative with the placement of stuff. I'd hate the look of an extra antenna sticking out of the car, but putting it on the roof rack is a great idea! It looks very clean. I'm actually liking it. As for putting that little gadget into the coin holder on the left of the steering wheel,...another great place. Very clean look. I like that you can hide it. Here in North Cal, most exposed stuff would be stolen in a matter of months if parked outside.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Comes from my last car, before I got the Rav4 I was into the import scene and had a Honda del Sol. Car shows, racing, the whole bit. An Amatuer Radio dosen't get you points at a car show thats all about coolness factor so I got real good at hiding stuff. After a while I was helping others install stereos and stuff in ways where you only saw what you had to and hid the rest in all sorts of interesting places.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VeroLAN said:
If anyone wants exact part numbers on Antenna and Mounts just let me know.
Brian,

What is the antenna mount you are using? I like how you configured your Rav - nice layout. Now that I am a proud owner of a Rav4, I guess its time to make some modifications to accomodate my 706.

BTW - sorry about the delayed response. I was in a class this past week and after working 12 hours per day on PCs, I just didn't care to get back on-line.

Scott

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mount is a diamond K550, if you want a SO-239 base order the K550KM it includes base and 13' of that super thin cable, much easyer to hide. My antennas are NMO based so I had to order the Diamond C213NMO cable assembly.

The mount is a touch too big for our luggage racks (Of course the other luggage rack mount from diamond, K540, was too small by my calculations) so bend it in a V so it spreads back out as you mount it, wrap the included rubber piece around your rack and tighten it down, the metal is stiff enough that when tightened as far as it will go it will hold.

I know that sounds confusing but once you get one it will make sense.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/4591.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts