Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a hitch receiver for a bicycle carrier. This one. TransIt Flatbed 2DLX 2-Bike Hitch Rack

Unfortunately, as soon as I'm in reverse the backup collision warning buzzer goes off. This happens without a bicycle loaded. I assume the center upright post is triggering it.

There are a lot of bicycle carrier designs. Anyone found one that does not block/trigger the sensor?

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
I turned that feature off, I don't need it to go off every time I park or go thru a car wash, a feature I don't need.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a 2" receiver hitch installed for my Yakima rack. Mine's pretty old and I can't find it on the web site anymore. The closest current offering is the Doubledown 4, except that mine is the two bike version. With both an empty rack and with a bike attached, the backup Rear Cross Traffic Alert warning beep-beep has never gone off. It does when I'm backing out the driveway and someone is driving down the street. It even goes off when a pedestrian is coming toward me. But never because of the hitch rack.

If you're still under warranty, might be worth having checked out next time your in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The sensor is just doing its job. It senses an object several inches away from the bumper. It's not smart enough to know that it is now technically part of the vehicle. The only way you are going to get around this is to turn the feature off whenever you have the rack attached.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They could have made it a bit smarter though. My GMC is programmed so that when you start it up and move forward (note, its never been moved backward which would engage the warning) it immediately senses something back there moving with it, and shuts the system off with a notification to the driver that it is being shut off. The cycle resets at the next engine start.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I turned that feature off, I don't need it to go off every time I park or go thru a car wash, a feature I don't need.
I plan to add the hitch and bike rack myself and wondered about the rear cross traffic monitor issue. So when you turn this off, doesn't that kill the blind spot monitor as well (sides). I only see a setting to turn off BSM not rear cross traffic ONLY.

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
I plan to add the hitch and bike rack myself and wondered about the rear cross traffic monitor issue. So when you turn this off, doesn't that kill the blind spot monitor as well (sides). I only see a setting to turn off BSM not rear cross traffic ONLY.
Nope, they still work just fine.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Can you just disconnect the sensor that is seeing the bike rack? You could wire in a switch that turns the sensor off if you didn't want to lose the sensor.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nope, they still work just fine.
Interesting answer. I wonder why it says BSM On/Off right on the center gage screen then? Sounds like it only turns off rear cross traffic alert if what you say is true. I will need to test this, as that doesn't sound right. I do not have the advanced tech package, just the BSM package.

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
It's on page 268 in the 2016 HV.pdf manual, I turned the parking assist off using the MID about a year ago, mirror BSM indictors and rear cross traffic alerts still work as I said before, I don't have the ATP either, it doesn't turn off the BSM and cross traffic alerts, just turns off the parking nanny.

It's on page 277 in the 2016 Rav4 .pdf manual. http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM42A41U/pdf/OM42A41U.pdf

·
Registered
428 Posts
Right here ^^^^ you said you turned that feature off. That feature is the rear cross traffic alert that the rear sensor senses when you have a bicycle trailing you.

It's on page 268 in the 2016 HV.pdf manual, I turned the parking assist off using the MID about a year ago, mirror BSM indictors and rear cross traffic alerts still work as I said before, I don't have the ATP either, it doesn't turn off the BSM and cross traffic alerts, just turns off the parking nanny.

It's on page 277 in the 2016 Rav4 .pdf manual. http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM42A41U/pdf/OM42A41U.pdf
This "parking nanny" you refer to must only be in advanced tech package. As I stated, I don't have that at all with BSM On / Off selection only.

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
Must only be a 2016 Hybrid feature then if that's not an option in your MID, I don't have the ATP as I said.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Must only be a 2016 Hybrid feature then if that's not an option in your MID, I don't have the ATP as I said.
I have the parking assist turned off on my '16 Limited and all the other tech features work as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts