Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who drive our Rav's in a winter climate , one thing that is guaranteed is the fuel door release lever getting surrounded by thawed snow and getting frozen in a clump of ice . :evil:
Major pain in the butt .
I keep a screwdriver in the middle console and chip away until it's free enough so I can pull the lever up .

The location of the lever is wrong as it is too low on the floor and all the melted snow pools around it and freezes .

Anyone have any way to avoid this ?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Winter floor mats? I park mine outside but I've never had this happen. I have a big rubber mat that covers the footwell and holds enough water so none leaks out onto the floor. 8)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Car Saver mats but they don't cover the whole area .

Because the floor area is deep , you would need a mat that comes up a couple of inches on all sides .
One major pain with any mat , in any vehicle is that they eventually
shift over to the right .
Every time you get in , your foot goes to the accelerator side and this soon pulls it over and exposes the lever .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Gotta agree with Mr Morton.......a floor mat with a 1" lip around 3 sides is what you need.....may not be perfect but will do the job. Bought mine from a buddy who had them in a Grand Prix, sold car and sold mats to me......and often wishes he had kept them. Also keep the heater fan on at all times in winter and adjust inside temp with temp control......gotta force that moist air inside to the outside. Also a turkey baster(sp?) makes a cheap shop vac for emptying the mats, if you get that much water..... :wink:

My old '98 was leaking at the windshield near the end and water would soak the carpet under the rubber mat. I would pop off the rubber cover at the bottom of the door opening and the driver side kick panel, pull up your mat a bit and check for water there..........it'll rust out your floor if your windshield is leaking...... :roll:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys , the ice is not a problem after driving around all day (melts) but it is frozen first thing in the morning and after work (parked outside)
The mat would actually have to be oversized on all four sides , not just three .
The mat will cover the lever . so you can't have melted snow getting underneath and pooling at the lever .
The lever is the lowest point of the floor and all water will collect there .
My other car is actually a Grand Prix but I use the same Pant Saver mats in it .
I think the ideal thing to do is to maybe look into those over priced , custom fit mats that are contoured to the vehicles floor .
Too bad their over $100 U.S. :roll:
I'll take a pic of it over the weekend and post it in my album .

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
WOW, I never get much snow in my car :shock: :shock:

I know it may look funny but everytime I get into the RAV, I turn, sit and click the snow from my shoes off. I still have not put my Rubber floor mat in yet (to busy) and there is never much snow on the carpet.

That salty, slushy snow is terrable for rusting up the interior :x

·
Registered
122 Posts
As I can see, you keep original floor mat under rubber one.

It seems to keep water (ice) in lever's area.

Your rubber mats cover the lever's area. Maybe if it does not, the heat should reach the lever's area and the ice should melt.

Look at mine:
http://rav4world.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=732

Too, remove snow in rubber mat as often as you can.

The mat has limit it can contain.

But, for sure, the desing of this lever is poor!!! :roll:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Those pantsaver rubber mats are great for keeping your pants dry but they're useless for keeping the floor dry.......they are flat at the outside.....water just rolls out of them on turns and pulling away. Mine have 1 inch rolled up lips on 3 of the sides that contain the water AND it doesn't slosh out.......but I don't know if they're still available as I've had mine for years. The contour of the floor is unusual but it doesn't matter with the right mat.
If you're getting that much water in your nylon carpet, I'd really start looking for other sources......
As stated above, the rest of us have the same climate/ snow conditions and we haven't had that problem to that extent...... :shock:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
no i got my auto mat all 4 of them for auto zone they are all weather winter mats they willl cover the fuel level and everything else . you just got to shop around for bargains and quality . so check auto zone for all weather rubber mats i hope this helps .Franco Sends

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to source a front pair locally today for $77 Canadian :D :D
Pictures are now in my album .

K

·
0 Posts
I have been driving my 99 Rav for over 6 years now, I have lots of snow every year and I have never had this happen. I have a cheap rubber mat that I use and it doesn't even have a lip around the edge.
Sounds to me like your boots are holding way to much snow on them when you get in the truck. If that keeps up, you'll have more problems to worry about that just your fuel lever.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Geezz ... I really have a hard time believing that this hasn't happened to anyone but me :shock: :shock:

People , your visions of me getting into my vehicle after stomping through 6 plus inches of snow and dragging it into my Rav is ludicris .

:?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: Anyone have a solution for frozen fuel door release leve

ccaddy said:
For those of us who drive our RAV's in a winter climate , one thing that is guaranteed is the fuel door release lever getting surrounded by thawed snow and getting frozen in a clump of ice . :evil:
Major pain in the butt .
I keep a screwdriver in the middle console and chip away until it's free enough so I can pull the lever up .

The location of the lever is wrong as it is too low on the floor and all the melted snow pools around it and freezes .

Anyone have any way to avoid this ?
Never had that problem, but I have pants saver car mats, maybe you should try those. All that water int he carpet is going to rot your floor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pantsaver matts are what I've been using in the Rav since day one and like one of the previous post said , they are lousy for keeping your floors dry .
Their biggest problem is that they don't completely cover the floor .

K

·
0 Posts
Perhaps you are not cleaning your truck off before you open the door and all of the snow is falling in the truck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope , first thing I do when I brus off my cars is the seam along the roof / door line .
More so because that ends up all over the seat if you don't .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts