Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had one installed (viper 4806v 2 way led)and having trouble figuring out what I am doing that keeps making the car alarm at me when I go to restart it after opening the door and it shuts down. It’s really frustrating and loud. Not to mention if I open a door I get a long steady beeeeeeeep from the car. Then go to restart and all the lights are flashing and the horn is going off. Wtf? Nothing about this in the manual. I’ve contacted the installer but won’t hear back till tomorrow so figured I’d see if anyone here knew.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been looking around at remote start options for my '16, and I've seen compustar mentioned a few times in the forums. Are they sort of the "recommended brand" around here? I talked to a local shop, and the guy working that day recommended code alarm. Independently I had been looking at viper, for no real particular reason other than happening to know that brand name. I also just found 12 volt solutions online, and the completely plug-n-play kits they offer - I initially saw one of their install videos, and was hoping the price for their kit would be below $200 given it's just a plug-n-play module with wires attached. After looking at their site, unfortunately they're almost $300. For that much, I feel like I'd rather get a different system installed at a shop with a remote that has better range than the factory fob.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I've been looking around at remote start options for my '16, and I've seen compustar mentioned a few times in the forums. Are they sort of the "recommended brand" around here? I talked to a local shop, and the guy working that day recommended code alarm. Independently I had been looking at viper, for no real particular reason other than happening to know that brand name. I also just found 12 volt solutions online, and the completely plug-n-play kits they offer - I initially saw one of their install videos, and was hoping the price for their kit would be below $200 given it's just a plug-n-play module with wires attached. After looking at their site, unfortunately they're almost $300. For that much, I feel like I'd rather get a different system installed at a shop with a remote that has better range than the factory fob.
I have a Compustar cs4102 2way remote (3000ft range) in my Rav. (I would definitely recommend a 2 way system over a 1 way) The biggest difference between Compustar and Viper that i have found by talking to a few different installers is Compustar is easier to install and has much better tech support . I also like the fact that you can upgrade the remotes by just changing the antenna and programming the new remotes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey there - You probably know Viper because they used to be one of the biggest years ago. Now a days, they are still big but others have come to the scene and kinda made things better and Viper hasn't really kept up(That statement is my own opinion and no studies will show this lol) Big Box Stores (BestBuy) used to only sell and install Viper and since they were everywhere, that's what everyone got. Now they have started selling compustar and every tech guy at Best Buy I have talked to that installs them, prefers them. Reviews online seem to speak the same. When you pair compustar with the idatalink hub(needed) the interface is pretty easy to adjust for them(I had them adjust a few things while I looked over their shoulder :smile ) Overall compustar/idata link seems to be inovating and leaving viper in the dust. Seriously, the best thing of all is the upgradability of remotes. Pop off the antenna, power on your car 5 times and you just programmed your upgraded remote(I've gone from the 3000' to the 1 mile version in the gfs car. She's special and I still have the 3000' version)

With what you mentioned though.
Viper - Will do just fine if it's in your $$ range.
Compustar - Most people seem to prefer over viper as do I(Although never owned a viper)
12 vol solutions - Don't bother. It will only work as far as your current key fob works...unless that is OK with you?
Code Alarm - Probably just as good as compustar/Viper. Probably only pushed because that is what that shop sells/installs. I don't think shops usually like installing products they don't sell and work with normally but they may try to if you're nice.

Couple things to keep in mind -
Distance - 3000' is pretty far and as long as you're standing in an open field with no electrical interference, it will work that far. If you're in a building, just divide that in half and hope for the best lol. I work in a brick building and depending on what floor I'm on and if I'm near a window, it works fine. If you park in a parking garage, I don't believe you should bother for that purpose. I'm probably 800'-1000' from my car where I work and it starts 98% of the time.

1-way vs 2-way - Look for a 2 way. 2 ways will beep back at ya to let you know the car started. 1 way will pretend it started and you won't know until you get to your frozen car.

BestBuy has had a couple sales recently on the 2 way compustar remote with install for around $250. See below for it being mentioned. I think they had it at this price a week or 2 ago as well. Right now it is $500+ though :( they have had it on sale near and around the last 2 Black Fridays if you can wait.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/270041-compustar-2-way-remote-start-system-249-99-installed.html

Anything else missed and google is your friend.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hey there - You probably know Viper because they used to be one of the biggest years ago. Now a days, they are still big but others have come to the scene and kinda made things better and Viper hasn't really kept up(That statement is my own opinion and no studies will show this lol) Big Box Stores (BestBuy) used to only sell and install Viper and since they were everywhere, that's what everyone got. Now they have started selling compustar and every tech guy at Best Buy I have talked to that installs them, prefers them. Reviews online seem to speak the same. When you pair compustar with the idatalink hub(needed) the interface is pretty easy to adjust for them(I had them adjust a few things while I looked over their shoulder
) Overall compustar/idata link seems to be inovating and leaving viper in the dust. Seriously, the best thing of all is the upgradability of remotes. Pop off the antenna, power on your car 5 times and you just programmed your upgraded remote(I've gone from the 3000' to the 1 mile version in the gfs car. She's special and I still have the 3000' version)

With what you mentioned though.
Viper - Will do just fine if it's in your $$ range.
Compustar - Most people seem to prefer over viper as do I(Although never owned a viper)
12 vol solutions - Don't bother. It will only work as far as your current key fob works...unless that is OK with you?
Code Alarm - Probably just as good as compustar/Viper. Probably only pushed because that is what that shop sells/installs. I don't think shops usually like installing products they don't sell and work with normally but they may try to if you're nice.

Couple things to keep in mind -
Distance - 3000' is pretty far and as long as you're standing in an open field with no electrical interference, it will work that far. If you're in a building, just divide that in half and hope for the best lol. I work in a brick building and depending on what floor I'm on and if I'm near a window, it works fine. If you park in a parking garage, I don't believe you should bother for that purpose. I'm probably 800'-1000' from my car where I work and it starts 98% of the time.

1-way vs 2-way - Look for a 2 way. 2 ways will beep back at ya to let you know the car started. 1 way will pretend it started and you won't know until you get to your frozen car.

BestBuy has had a couple sales recently on the 2 way compustar remote with install for around $250. See below for it being mentioned. I think they had it at this price a week or 2 ago as well. Right now it is $500+ though
they have had it on sale near and around the last 2 Black Fridays if you can wait.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/270041-compustar-2-way-remote-start-system-249-99-installed.html

Anything else missed and google is your friend.
Just curious what model is your 1 mile remote?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just curious what model is your 1 mile remote?
The GF has the t10 compustar from the below link. She broke the screen recently and I read they are fragile so maybe check out compustar and look into their newer line of remotes as they look more durable. They seem to be phasing out the line that is currently at BestBuy and they will probably have new versions there soon. New remote gets here today I think so I will be programming that soon. Just the remote with out the antenna and spare remote is $130 at BestBuy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compustar-2-way-lcd-remote-upgrade-kit-black/5578839.p?skuId=5578839

They make a 3 mile version now that's water proof and is tempting but its around $260 on ebay :/ not sure it's worth it for me since I haven't needed that distance yet lol.

Also note that their new line has a 2 mile version for $140 on ebay without a screen that is also tempting to replace my 3000' one with...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPUSTAR-PRO-RF-P2WG15-SS-TWO-2-WAY-2-MILE-REMOTE-UPGRADE-KIT-2W1B-CS4102-G15/162809518874?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yup sorry, BestBuy is just everywhere and were cheap with install(price even dropped to $200). I don't know of many places that will give you the 2 way compustar, the idatalink hub and install for $250 though. I will admit that 1 installer I had was a complete idiot but the other was top notch. Everyone recommends talking to the one that is going to install the unit to get a feel for if they are competent or not. Local places are definitely better if you have one near you that has a decent price and the product you want or that will install one you purchase elsewhere. Again, I in no way endorse the geek squad and believe a majority are complete idiots. There are some decent ones out there and I recommend checking local reviews before using any install service. Sorry about that, it was mainly as a point of reference.

When I hear "Viper" my first assumption is BestBuy because they were the main distributors of them back in the day. This lead to my assumption that that was where they were looking.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just to update since this thread seems to have some posters, I had the viper two way led, supposed 1 mile range, installed. Works great. Of course as mentioned already the 1 mile is under extremely ideal circumstances of space. Unfortunately shuts down when a door is opened but but that is a Toyota issue and expected. On -35C days it’s nice to have the car at least slightly warmed up before putting our boy in the car. Largely liked the viper because the remote was so small on the led version. It’s tiny compared to others and for something i literally carry all day everyday in my pocket, that matters.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have a Compustar Pro G15 2-way. Works up to 2 miles and it works great. No screen.

I also would avoid Best Buy. Not sure why somebody seems to be pushing them down your throat, but you can find them at a lot of local places and they will install them. Probably a lot better than the hackmasters at Best Buy.
Why so negative on Bestbuy? I had mine installed last year with no problems and saved about 150.00 over what my local shop wanted to charge. I also know of about 10 people who have had the same system installed by the same guy at Bestbuy.

It's ALL about the INSTALLER! You will find good and bad ones no matter where you go! I wouldn't let anyone touch my car without talking to them first and have my questions answered to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
So you had good luck at 1 Bestbuy, so everything is cherry now?
I actually went to 2 different Bestbuys and spoke with the autotechs. I went with the one I felt most comfortable with. No problems with the install. Everything looks good. Like I said it's ALL about the INSTALLER!

Do a Google search and let me know what you find.
So you believe everything you read on Google? I did read some of the posts and many were about Bestbuy telling them it would need more parts and extra costs or long waits for an appointment and Yes there was some complaining about the install. Can you tell me that EVERYBODY is happy with the work done by a Toyota dealer?

Better yet, you can call my buddy that had a stereo installed by their professional. They literally burned the whole interior of his truck, then claimed it was a gasoline leak. They called him for 2 days telling him they were waiting on a wiring harness when in actuality, the truck was sitting there burned to a crisp.

Lots of good talkers...very few good technicians.
So, your buddy waited 2 days before he went to BestBuy to see what was going on . Seems kinda odd.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Of course it is about the installer. When you hire high school kids and other Wal-Mart rejects, you end up with crap in/crap out.
The guy who installed my starter was in his mid twenties. Around my area kids graduate from High School around 17 . Maybe it's a different age where you are? Calling people Rejects without knowing them says a lot about YOU!

I believe Google just about as much as I believe stories on here about people with 10 friends that all had their units installed and everything worked great. The difference is those comments came from many people. The one with 10 friends just came from 1
I have no reason to lie to anyone about my system working . I certainly wouldn't recommend it to my family and friends if it didn't work as it was suppose to. I simply posted MY experience with BestBuy and have always said it's ALL about the INSTALLER so talk to them BEFORE you have any work done.

Better yet, you can call my buddy that had a stereo installed by their professional. They literally burned the whole interior of his truck, then claimed it was a gasoline leak. They called him for 2 days telling him they were waiting on a wiring harness when in actuality, the truck was sitting there burned to a crisp.
Really? You drop your car off Tuesday night, they supposedly install Wednesday, they call and say they need a part, and you go Thursday after work. Let me guess...you have never had your car worked on?
If he brought the car in Tuesday night and they worked on it Wednesday and went to pick it up on Thursday then HOW did they CALL HIM FOR 2 DAYS saying they were "waiting for a wiring harness"?

Do you have different calendar then the rest of us? Wed to Thur is only 1 day. How was the car sitting there "Burned to a Crisp" for 2 days?

BTW..just remember there is a reason Best Buy is cheaper. As Compustar told me, they design certain systems for certain retailers. Ever buy a TV at Best Buy and wonder why that model is not sold anywhere else? Because the manufacturer left out a few options for Best Buy to get the price down.
The system I got has the EXACT same components as the one I was quoted 150.00 more for from my local shop. The only difference was the system from BB came with the immobilizer as a kit and the shop I had to buy it separate. Please know your facts!

You got what you paid for!
You're right! I paid for and got a remote starter that works as it's supposed to for what I thought was a good price.

I have a CompuStar Pro G15 with 2 mile range and 2-way start. It works awesome. I think I paid $300 from a local facility that installed it. Too many horror stories from BestBuy.
So you got Compustars top of the line pro series installed for 300.00 by a local shop? No local shop in my area would come anywhere close to that price so you might want to check the quality of YOUR install! Or maybe it was a low paid KID who installed It!

Have a Great Day!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If we could redirect the conversation from passive-aggressiveness, I have a question regarding the compustar systems. I was specifically looking at the PRO R3 remote, and got a quote from a local shop to install the system - their price is $675. But I'm not tryin to pay that much for remote start...

So my question is, can I have them install a cheaper system, or give me a cheaper remote, and then just buy a nicer remote on ebay? I would assume that once the system is installed with an RF antenna mounted in the car (i.e. behind the rear view mirror), getting better range is simply a matter of the remote you have in your pocket. Is that correct? So have them install the system with a basic remote, then buy nicer remote on ebay, and program it. Does that logic work?

I'm guessing a significant portion of their quoted price comes from the remote, which I'm sure they're adding a lot of profit margin to...

Thanks for any info/help everyone.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The one (Toyo-TL6-2.1) sold by 12 volt solutions is very expansive! I'll install remote start on my 2017 RAV4 soon. I just bought Compustar FT-DC3-S and ADS-THR-TL5 (T-harness). Total price is $190.95. ADS-THR-TL5 is for Toyota RAV4. There are only 2 plugs to connect. The reasons I select Compustar are 1. Easy to install (with T-harness). Viper may have T-harness, but I don't know. 2. Remote transmitter range is better than Viper. 3. FT-DC3-S includes bypass module. In the forum, many people had very good deals. If I could get one of these deals, I wouldn't waster time to install by myself.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If we could redirect the conversation from passive-aggressiveness, I have a question regarding the compustar systems. I was specifically looking at the PRO R3 remote, and got a quote from a local shop to install the system - their price is $675. But I'm not tryin to pay that much for remote start...

So my question is, can I have them install a cheaper system, or give me a cheaper remote, and then just buy a nicer remote on ebay? I would assume that once the system is installed with an RF antenna mounted in the car (i.e. behind the rear view mirror), getting better range is simply a matter of the remote you have in your pocket. Is that correct? So have them install the system with a basic remote, then buy nicer remote on ebay, and program it. Does that logic work?

I'm guessing a significant portion of their quoted price comes from the remote, which I'm sure they're adding a lot of profit margin to...

Compustar FT-DC3-S and ADS-THR-TL5 (T-harness) $190.95
Compustar PRO R3 (RF-P2WR3-SS) $139.99

or just buy whole set for $329.99 at eBay. So now you know how much they made for installation.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

Yes, You can get a cheaper Compustar system and upgrade the remote after by changing the antenna and programing the new remotes. The best thing to do would be to call Comustar and ask which remotes you can update with the Compustar brain you have.

https://www.compustar.com/#

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I know my facts. Maybe you should contact Compustar and ask them. I did. This is a typical Best Buy ploy. Geez...are you that naive?

As for the rest of your comments, they are becoming quite idiotic to say the least. Obviously, you cannot tell the days on a calendar, which explains why you go to Best Buy in the first place. Or maybe you work there since you are defending them so much? That explains a lot.

Needless to say, if you want to go to Best Buy and get their version of Compustar's system installed, have at it. I will go back to my original point. Check your local installers instead of some big box store where you can get screwed like my buddy did. They are usually a lot more helpful and actually sell the Compustar's product as stated on their website. Not some dumbed down version made so Best Buy can sell them cheaper.

I stand by everything I said. I'll let others decide if your story and time frame about the truck makes any sense!

You don't know what you are talking about when you say my system is ONLY made for BestBuy. Here's a link to an independent shop that installs it. Call them and check yourself!

https://cartronics.audio/product/compustar-cs4102-s/

MN_bear was quoted $675 for basically the same system as the one you got for $300. (The R3 has 1 button remote while the G15 has 4 button remote)

Now it's YOUR turn! Post the link to the place that you got yours from. I'm sure it would be helpful to other members in this forum who may be in your area looking for a 2 mile remote starter for 300.00!

Time to put up or shut up!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts