Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Roof Rail thread is getting pretty long and perhaps I missed the full list in there, but it appears there are a couple different types of clips for the low profile, non-TRD/Trail rails.

The shorter white ones with the orange washers everyone talks about.

But near the front closest to the windshield there appears to be a longer version of this clip/washer where the roof begins curving.

In some videos it looks like there might be a 3rd variation that is blue?

Are there any other clips? I'd like to purchase a set but want to make sure I get all of them and the correct amount.

Thanks for any help.

PS: Does anyone know if the black weather-stripping material on the underside of the plastic rails is a separate part or is it pretty much glued to the rail?

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,802 Posts
The Roof Rail thread is getting pretty long and perhaps I missed the full list in there, but it appears there are a couple different types of clips for the low profile, non-TRD/Trail rails.

The shorter white ones with the orange washers everyone talks about.

But near the front closest to the windshield there appears to be a longer version of this clip/washer where the roof begins curving.

In some videos it looks like there might be a 3rd variation that is blue?

Are there any other clips? I'd like to purchase a set but want to make sure I get all of them and the correct amount.

Thanks for any help.

PS: Does anyone know if the black weather-stripping material on the underside of the plastic rails is a separate part or is it pretty much glued to the rail?

View attachment 185682
1. You don't need to replace (worry about) the blue clips. Their mounting holes do not go through the roof so there is no leak possible in those locations. Just use the old ones.
2. The new part numbers for the long white one at front and the shorter ones with the new orange washers are listed at the beginning of the long thread (you don't need to look through the whole thread). I would relist them for you here, but I'm traveling so don't have the numbers available.
3. Big issue to know: At the very front of the rail, is another clip that is attached via double sided sticky tape at each end. It is very hard (impossible?) to remove the rail without damaging the double sided sticky tape, thus you should get some double sided trim tape such as this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLY78TE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. You don't need to replace (worry about) the blue clips. Their mounting holes do not go through the roof so there is no leak possible in those locations. Just use the old ones.
2. The new part numbers for the long white one at front and the shorter ones with the new orange washers are listed at the beginning of the long thread (you don't need to look through the whole thread). I would relist them for you here, but I'm traveling so don't have the numbers available.
3. Big issue to know: At the very front of the rail, is another clip that is attached via double sided sticky tape at each end. It is very hard (impossible?) to remove the rail without damaging the double sided sticky tape, thus you should get some double sided trim tape such as this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLY78TE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Thanks man. This is the thread I was looking through, lots of good info but it's so spread out and I don't see it at the beginning.

I'll keep poking through. I need to take one of my newly fixed/replaced rails off because I found out the dealership screwed up the repair and I want to have clips on hand in case I break one.

Anyone who hasn't had a leak yet on their 19-21, def do the fix yourself, it's just a matter of time and dealerships don't treat your property with the same care you do.

Love this damn car but it's been through the wringer. 😐

1 - 3 of 3 Posts