Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting an '18 XLE with the following tires: RB-SUV 225/65R/17 102T (I cannot post a link yet due to new account)

Just wondering if anyone has installed these, and if so, what are any suggestions around wet weather driving, etc.?

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Looks like it might be an Ok economy choice, wouldn't be my first choice tho.

I use Tire Rack and Consumer Reports for my tire buying research.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So we got the car delivered today, and we got to test drive the vehicle before signing the papers. First thing is the tires are definitely new, so that is "as advertised." I will reserve judgement, but when accelerating from a full stop, I get the dash indicator of wheel spin for a couple of seconds. I am hoping that the tires just need a 100 miles or so to get them worked in a little bit. The tires were good though to test the ABS when it started raining and I could do an on purpose full brake pedal press and hold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I found an "Interesting" sticker on my door jamb with a warning about the 104 Load Rating being changed due to modifications to the vehicle. I believe this is there to cover the Auto Dealer's behind because the original sticker on the jamb is for 104 Load Rated tires, but they put on 102 load rated tires. At least they know what they are doing? And realistically, this is important info, so not trying to sound petty, and good on them for putting it there in case someone doesn't Google tire specs like I do.

I did find this page: TirePlus It has a chart showing that per tire, it is 110 pounds less load capacity, thus lowering the full load capicity by 440 pounds. I am not sure how comfortable I am with that. Since the Curb Weight is 3,485 pounds, it seems there is still a lot of load capacity remaining, so it seems nothing to get too worked up over at least.

Maybe my concern also matches a statement on TiresPlus' website: Never install tires with a lower load carrying capacity than the original tires that were factory installed on your vehicle.

20191013_160616.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out I was a bit misguided on the Load Rating. For the two different OEM tires I could find, they are also 102 load capacity, so the Ironman tires match that. I have a lower "speed" rating, and that is why the sticker was put there, I assume. I also found on that the OEM tires are not long wearing, and have Traction rating of "A" and so does the Ironman, and the Temperature rating is a "B" just like the Ironman. At this point, I basically have new tires, and equivilent to the OEM tires, and these may even last a little longer. More test driving also shows these are good tires on dry pavement, but in rain, I do get tire slip, but my other car has that too, so I basically just drive slower in the rain, which is what we are taught to do anyways!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts