Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if I would have to drill holes in my new ride? :cry: Is it difficult? Any problems associated with the spoiler?

TIA

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
The rear spoiler in my RAV 2002 was a stick on job. It was done by the dealer in no time at all. It is still in place after two years!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Stick-on? Well, that's a new one, I've never heard of that one. I guess it's not sold in the US :cry:.

And yes, animal, you would have to drill holes on your baby, that's the reason I haven't bought one for mine :roll:, until I get tired of my car looking like something is missing. I like it the way it is so far, hehe.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stock spoiler is attached with 2 bolts, one on each side of the
back door. For the 2004 model you can buy the spoiler already painted from a number of suppliers. The one I bought was pre-painted. It matched perfectly. Templates are provided to show you where to drill. Aligning the bolt with the nut really benefits from using 2 people as you have to insert the nut into an opening in the top of the back door to where you have threaded the spoiler bolt thru.

jerij

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JeriJ,

Thanks for that info. I don't think I have the nerve to drill into my tailgate.

Someone else told me that Toyota makes a tailgate with holes already in it for their factory installs.

I really like the look of the spoiler, but can't bring myself to pay a few hundred to have one installed. Do you recommend doing it yourself? You stated someone had to slip the nut on through a hole in the top of the tailgate. Does that hole already exist in the tailgate? I couldn't find any, unless it's behind the plastic trim around the window.

Thanks again.

Mike

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My L came with NO spoiler.

I got mine from Sportwing (sportwing.com). It cost $238 and came
pre-painted. Directions included.

You remove the inside trim panel from the back hatch/door. It reveals
two rubber grommet/covers at the top of the inside part of the door.
Remove these grommets and you can see the hole in the inside sheetmetal that leads to the "outside" sheetmetal.

Align the template up and it will show you where to drill the holes from the outside. Once drilled, the spoiler has the bolts already cast in the fixture. You set the spoiler down on the top of the door(outside obviously) and align the bolts with the holes you've drilled.

Here is where someone is helpful to hold the spoiler. I had to take a socket wrench and go up inside the grommet hole (inside) and screw the nut on while trying to hold the spoiler at the same time.
It was bisch to align and keep it from falling off the door at the same time. If finally got one side to hold and then was able to "adust" the other side until I got the nut on without having to worry about the spoiler falling off the door.

Another problem. If you drop the nut out of the socket wrench most likely it was going to fall down in between the back door sheetmetal. Another reason to have someone help in holding the spoiler on while you try to thread on the nut.

And don't forget to caulk/seal.

jerij

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought a pre-painted Spoiler and the instructions are very sparse. Can anyone post or send a set of instructions for removing the plastic so I can install the bolts.

This Spoiler has Two Bolts (Connecting Points} each side.

Thanks for any help

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As best I remember, the plastic trim panels just "pop" out. They are attached to the sheetmetal with plastic "push-pins". Toyota uses these on a lot of the interior pieces to attach different panels.

You can get an "upholstery" tool at Auto Zone, etc that has a "fork" looking device at the end that is helpful in pulling the push-pins out from the sheetmetal.

As usual, just be careful.

Once the plastic panel is out of the way, you will see the openings that the bolts from the wing go thru. Using your template supplied by the sportwing company, drill your holes from the OUTSIDE of the back door panel. The template should have them aligned perfectly with the opening of the inside sheetmetal of the back door.

jerij

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well yeah you have to drill. I am thinking of putting one on mine. Something like this one, but a lower one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts