Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting one installed on my RAV4 cuz it protects the hood of the car from small rocks hitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did. I bought a sheet of 72" x 18" 3M and put a layer of 18" deep on the front of hood and the two side of fenders and top surface of rear bumper by myself. Fortunately my car come with a thin sheet of clear protection on the front bumper and two side mirrors plus door edge and door handle when picking up from the dealer.
The pre-cut for 2016 rav4 is so expensive now on eBay. This is the reason I bought a roll and did it myself. The font line hood is not difficult in my case. When choosing material, use 3M or Xpel type. I would not go for vinyl which is much stiff material and is difficult to apply .

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've always installed the 3M film on my hoods & fenders. Had a guy who does this for a living do it locally - Paid under $200 CDN installed! The dealers would have wanted $500 - $600 for the same thing.

I'm thinking about getting one installed on my RAV4 cuz it protects the hood of the car from small rocks hitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im getting quoted 600 for partial hood and fenders and bumpers... THe local Xpel in houston charging me 720....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Actually I would install better things to protect your back bumper and yourself. Today I got rear ended just a few feet away from a light stop. Yes cars in front of me had to slow down and stop fast yet everyone in front of me and myself was able to stop without hitting each other. But that wasn't the case for the driver behind me and she crashed into me. I think she just wasn't paying attention because I did not see any skid marks or any sign of braking effort from her car. And looks like she just slammed to my car straightly from looking at the damage of her car which has a completely smashed nose. But my car held it very well just the chrome bumper fell of along with the back sensors. So having taller car definitely helped to have less damage plus no neck or back injury etc. as of now. Overall I was amazed how well the car took the crash today to compare to the small car of the lady who hit me!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes physically I'm fine thanks to a better built car. But emotionally not so much! :) Pissed off at the driver who hit my brand new car and afraid everytime I see someone driving so close to me. Anyway, has anyone here ever tried the products this site offers for rear end collision protection? I wonder if it will work for the hybrids we drive? superbumper.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes physically I'm fine thanks to a better built car. But emotionally not so much! :) Pissed off at the driver who hit my brand new car and afraid everytime I see someone driving so close to me. Anyway, has anyone here ever tried the products this site offers for rear end collision protection? I wonder if it will work for the hybrids we drive? superbumper.com
Just took a look at that superbumper site and two things came to mind.

1. I know Locally it's illegal to drive around with a receiver sticking out when not in use.

2. If someone did hit it I could imagine more structural damage happing due to where the force is being directed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh ok thanks for your input. And are you saying these kind of things might do more harm than good? If so, what else can be done to avoid people slamming into you? It never happened to me before with my prius and thousands miles of driving with it. Maybe it was smaller so people behind me saw the oncoming traffic better? Or I just got really unlucky and happened to be driving in front of this disracted driver that morning. Seems like she had a similar accident happened to her just a couple years ago too. *Sigh*

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh ok thanks for your input. And are you saying these kind of things might do more harm than good? If so, what else can be done to avoid people slamming into you? It never happened to me before with my prius and thousands miles of driving with it. Maybe it was smaller so people behind me saw the oncoming traffic better? Or I just got really unlucky and happened to be driving in front of this disracted driver that morning. Seems like she had a similar accident happened to her just a couple years ago too. *Sigh*
I think It might be more harm then good, but thats just the way I see it.

EDIT: after I hit post, I just thought of this..I had a clear 3M Car bra on my Golf...I didn't help. haha

As for people running into you...............the only reason I'm here and have a RAV on the way is because some ran into me head on and totaled my 2015 Golf TDI.

All I can say is sometimes your F**king unlucky.

If you wanna see my luck view my dash cam footage https://youtu.be/aPer_47kOas

And the result of said footage

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bully Bumper Might Help --- see the reviews

Actually I would install better things to protect your back bumper and yourself. Today I got rear ended just a few feet away from a light stop. Yes cars in front of me had to slow down and stop fast yet everyone in front of me and myself was able to stop without hitting each other. But that wasn't the case for the driver behind me and she crashed into me. I think she just wasn't paying attention because I did not see any skid marks or any sign of braking effort from her car. And looks like she just slammed to my car straightly from looking at the damage of her car which has a completely smashed nose. But my car held it very well just the chrome bumper fell of along with the back sensors. So having taller car definitely helped to have less damage plus no neck or back injury etc. as of now. Overall I was amazed how well the car took the crash today to compare to the small car of the lady who hit me!
I just installed a protective bumper step on my Rav4 hybrid. Having already installed a 1 ¼ inch Curt hitch receiver, I found a little bumper for when my bike rack or trailer is not being used.

I had a simple one of these in my 2001 Rav4 and it gave me a sense of protection from rear end damage.

This one serves three purposes – a brake light, a step for the roof rack and protection for the rear. It works with both the 1 ¼” and 2” receiver.

Amazon.com: Bully CR-605L 605 Series 2 in 1 Receiver Hitch Mount Step with LED Brake Light: Automotive

The light plugs directly into trailer wiring.

·
Registered
84 Posts
@ EvansinSask, Wow, I hope you walked away from this with no big injuries! What's funny/sad is the car that hit me was a vw jetta and its front side got smashed pretty badly after it hit my rav4 which only has its chrome bumper part fell off. And it does have a vw print in the back too!

·
Registered
84 Posts
@Jlwatts, thank you for the bullybumper info. I'll explore more about that. And how hard was it to install that to the Rav4 hybrid?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bully Bumper

@Jlwatts, thank you for the bullybumper info. I'll explore more about that. And how hard was it to install that to the Rav4 hybrid?
Once you have a trailer receiver and wiring, it is simple ... just slip it in the receiver, attach the receiver pin and plug it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've always installed the 3M film on my hoods & fenders. Had a guy who does this for a living do it locally - Paid under $200 CDN installed! The dealers would have wanted $500 - $600 for the same thing.
I think that it is a good idea! In Minnesota, it costed me $600.00 total front end and rear bumper area. If you can do it yourself, you will save money! :laugh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts