Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6-16-16

I have a new 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited in Electric Storm Blue with the Ash Softex seating. Has anyone installed leather seating in your RAV4?

Which company installed it and how much did it cost? My dealer charged about $1000 for our 2013 Prius v wagon. He relates now that the the leather supplier, Katzkin, considers that since the RAV4 now is in the SUV class, the charge will be $1495.

This is unreasonable, as the configuration is the same, especially since the RAV4 rear seat is actually narrower than the Prius v wagon.

Comments?

Thanks,
archiveman2977

Attachments

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
When I lived in CA a lot of people went to Mexico - Tijuana or Rosarito to have custom upholstery done. Used references to find a good shop which did quality work at a fair price. Don't know whether there are good shops in Mexico reasonably accessible from the Austin area.

Reactions: archiveman2977

·
Registered
324 Posts
After over a year with Softex seats, I don't think I would want anything else. They still look like new and are much easier to maintain than leather. Also, I find them more comfortable and do not stretch like leather.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6-17-16 Softex seating vs. leather seating

Why do you want real leather? Is there an issue with Softex that you've experienced?
6-17-16
Hi Imacmil, A couple of reasons. It has connotations of the 1960s car advertising, hailing the "It's all vinyl" headlines, and remember the sweating and discomfort while riding.
We like perforated leather which allows a modicum of comfort.
Also, leather is more appropriate for a near $40K car.
cheers,
archiveman2977

·
Registered
59 Posts
Leather has issues as well, having owned four cars with leather. The biggy is most do not treat the leather as much as they (and I) should and it does crack over time, unless treated often. Interestingly leather can be painted, I took mine to a guy who does work for BMW in Vancouver and he painted some very warn looking front seats in a light grey, when he was done they looked brand new - $150.

Being the cheap Scottish guy I am, I'd enjoy the fake leather seats and when they start to go, then put in new leather.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
From what I've seen here everyone with softex seats from 2013 and up say they look like brand new with no upkeep what so ever. Cleaning is a simple damp cloth. No conditioners or cleaners necessary. They are also cooler than real leather. I love mine. Would never replace with leather unless I had an issue. The real leather I had in my cx5 was much warmer than the softex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts