Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 97 rav4 and I am looking to put a roof rack on it. I would like to know if anyone knows of anyplace to get cheap roof rails or have and DIY ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You don't really need roof rails, just the crossbars. You can either find some OEM roof racks on eBay or get some aftermarket ones (I recommend Yakima or Thule if you're looking for good quality) Plan on spending $150-$250ish no matter what racks you choose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup eBay. I saw some OEM one listed a few days for $150 total. It was purchased soon after I saw it because that seems like a cheap price. There were a few more sets the last time I checked but they're more expensive.....so they might sit on eBay for a while. They do pop up every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have just purchased a 97 rav4 and I am looking to put a roof rack on it. I would like to know if anyone knows of anyplace to get cheap roof rails or have and DIY ideas?
Hi
I saw some at a junkyard a few weeks ago, I can try and pull them if they're still there for you if your interested. I think it was a 97 or 98 they were on. I was going to put them on ebay, but if i know someone is interested i'd rather sell straight to the community. Not sure what tools exactly i would need or if the key i have would work to unlock them. if my keys works I can send a copy as well. PM me if interested.

I think i've taken probably about 10 trips to the junkyard in the last 2 months looking for parts for my 97 also, haha
This morning before work I was actually able to find a coveted armrest storage container w/ lid! there is a small metal clip and screws missing, but easily could work! I was looking for it for months too!

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Can mk2 rails could modified to fit mk1 roof ?
I'm sure they could. Most roof rails and cross bars can be shortened if required by disassembling and cutting to the length needed. Make sure on the cross bars that you cut an equal amount from each side if they are bowed to keep them looking even.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey OP, still looking? I will sell you mine. The keyed mounting locks are operable with a flathead screwdriver, so if you really require them to lock then you might not want them. But I don't think many people are going around the streets testing these things to see if they'll open, ha.

I also have that coveted armrest storage piece, if anyone here wants it. I will be making a classified post soon.

Let me know. Or look for my post in classifieds tomorrow sometime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey OP, still looking? I will sell you mine. The keyed mounting locks are operable with a flathead screwdriver, so if you really require them to lock then you might not want them. But I don't think many people are going around the streets testing these things to see if they'll open, ha.

I also have that coveted armrest storage piece, if anyone here wants it. I will be making a classified post soon.

Let me know. Or look for my post in classifieds tomorrow sometime.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I know this post is old.......any chance the armrest or rack are still available?
Click on the person's name and message them. If they are still around or have the parts maybe they'll get back to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this post is old.......any chance the armrest or rack are still available?
There's a set of racks at my local wrecking yard on a Rav... I'm was thinking about taking a look at the car this weekend to see if there's anything I might want off of it. I can try to see if they have the keys for it (or just jam a screwdriver in, lol) and ask how much they want... Where are you located, and how much would you want to spend?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts