Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Pretty easy, and if you have the right tools the rears don't even require taking the wheel off.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine came with front & rears from the factory.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Mudguards are a $130 factory option in the US, about twice as much as they cost to install yourself in about 15-20 minutes max if you have the right angle tool to install the rears without removing the wheels. I bought my own and installed them on my 2006, 2015 and the Hybrid, easy peasy. :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mudguards are a $130 factory option in the US, about twice as much as they cost to install yourself in about 15-20 minutes max if you have the right angle tool to install the rears without removing the wheels. I bought my own and installed them on my 2006, 2015 and the Hybrid, easy peasy. :cool:

Can u give me a heads up on what's tools I need

·
Registered
28 Posts

Doesn't the eBay listing say it comes with the tools to mount them?
If not, do you happen to have a link or exact description of the right angle tool?

I thought I had negotiated all the options I really wanted but forgot about mudguards.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Doesn't the eBay listing say it comes with the tools to mount them?
If not, do you happen to have a link or exact description of the right angle tool?

I thought I had negotiated all the options I really wanted but forgot about mudguards.

There were no tools, just the mounting hardware, there's not much clearance between the rear tires and the mudguards, so some sort of close clearance right angle tool will be required unless you remove the rear wheels, I use a Skewdriver Pro. but a hex socket drive and ratchet would work too, instructions attached below, be sure to save or print them, 2016 accessories no longer come with instructions, just a note that says the dealer will provide them from TIS.

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Everybody should have one of these for working in close quarters. Its a 1/4" drive on one side and a bit driver on the other side.
Thanks, that looks really handy! It's now on my wish list.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can u give me a heads up on what's tools I need
No need to remove wheel. Use of stubby driver and 8mm, 10mm socket drive are fine for the job. You need to tap a new hole for the rear set. Existing and supplied screws are different and do go to a specific location.

The front set is much easier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My RAV4 has them from the dealership. My wife's doesn't. As far as I can tell, there's no practical difference between having them and not. Both cars get equally dirty in the snow or rain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My RAV4 has them from the dealership. My wife's doesn't. As far as I can tell, there's no practical difference between having them and not. Both cars get equally dirty in the snow or rain.
I tend to agree with you. The mudguard does not do much guard to the car when it is in snow and rain. To me, I just simply treat as a cosmetic item although sometime I feel good that car behind me might get less chance to get stone chip to their windshield from my rear wheel. At least that is how I would look at other car in front of me - a friendly vehicle on the road. I don't put mudguard on my sport sedan which is lower profile than the SUV.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Its a given that in really wet or sloppy driving they don't do much. But they do a lot when you're just hitting the occasional mud puddle or the like. That's why they call them "splash guards".

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got done putting mine on. Wasn't too bad. Looks good on my silver hybrd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts