Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The IRS is still processing my tax return.

It’s crazy how fast they are taking your money but slow paying you back :)

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
211 Posts
Good luck they rejected my tax credit for some reason. I had to appeal the removal of the credit. I sent back the IRC 30D that list the prime along with my window sticker and registration. Hopefully that is enough for them to reinstate the credit. They offered no explanation for the removal. I am hoping all of these vin's being listed online didn't fall victim to some tax fraud scam.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE (+weather +audio) Silver Sky Metallic
22 Posts
Good luck they rejected my tax credit for some reason. I had to appeal the removal of the credit. I sent back the IRC 30D that list the prime along with my window sticker and registration. Hopefully that is enough for them to reinstate the credit. They offered no explanation for the removal. I am hoping all of these vin's being listed online didn't fall victim to some tax fraud scam.
Yikes! I hadn’t thought about that but that certainly sounds like a possibility. Please keep appealing as necessary and let us know how it goes. We know this car is eligible for the full credit so they should not be rejecting it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Seems IRS does that hoping the tax payer will be so confused as to abandon the credit. Bolt owners have gotten an 'invalid VIN' error from the IRS when in fact the VIN was correct - that was fraud on IRS's part. Guess they are now just denying the claim with no explanation. Still waiting to hear back from Bolt owners whether their resubmission was later accepted... if I were you, I'd file a complaint with your congress rep/senators offices. If enough complaints get to them, they may demand an investigation to see who exactly in the IRS is committing this fraudulent denial of credit. Could be someone in IRS using their position to express their personal disagreement with the tax credit.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yikes! I hadn’t thought about that but that certainly sounds like a possibility. Please keep appealing as necessary and let us know how it goes. We know this car is eligible for the full credit so they should not be rejecting it.
Did you get some sort of letter? I haven't received anything and when I check online still shows "Processing"

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
403 Posts
We e-filed our taxes early March and got our Tax Credit of $7500 mid May based on my R4P purchase in September previous year. Yum.

Reactions: ::ToyoMan::

·
Registered
797 Posts
We e-filed our taxes early March and got our Tax Credit of $7500 mid May based on my R4P purchase in September previous year. Yum.
Not out of the woods yet, some Bolt owners are getting audited and tax credit denied a year later.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not out of the woods yet, some Bolt owners are getting audited and tax credit denied a year later.
How can the credit be denied during an audit if everything was legit in the first place?
Those stories sound fishy. I suspect that there is more to it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
How can the credit be denied during an audit if everything was legit in the first place?
Those stories sound fishy. I suspect that there is more to it.
When you file, it is checked by computer for matches to W-2 and other reported forms and also math check... basically the government trusts you. When you get picked for audit, they review your return and look for errors or request documentation. That is how Trump got the IRS to send him a few million dollars, had a good laugh, and was under audit before 2016. (I remember hearing about that during the 2016 election, do a search if you want more details on that specific case).

·
Registered
375 Posts
When you file, it is checked by computer for matches to W-2 and other reported forms and also math check... basically the government trusts you. When you get picked for audit, they review your return and look for errors or request documentation. That is how Trump got the IRS to send him a few million dollars, had a good laugh, and was under audit before 2016. (I remember hearing about that during the 2016 election, do a search if you want more details on that specific case).
Exactly.
I get that, and I agree.
My point is that there is no reason for the credit to be denied in an audit if it was legit to begin with.
Right??

·
Registered
797 Posts
Exactly.
I get that, and I agree.
My point is that there is no reason for the credit to be denied in an audit if it was legit to begin with.
Right??
Electronic filing, you would not have submitted the additional documents, so looks like they are pulling those with tax credits and demanding the documents. The problem is that IRS is asking for Manufacturer's Certification and Purchase Contract... I don't think anyone is given the Manufacturer's Certification when they buy the car - plus, the model is on the IRS web site. I suspect someone has a personal/political agenda in the IRS and is bullying the honest Joe taxpayer. Thus, my recommendation to complain to your Congress Rep and Senators.

Certification and Other Requirements
Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.

If, however, the IRS publishes an announcement that the certification for any specific make, model, and model year vehicle has been withdrawn, you cannot rely on the certification for such a vehicle acquired after the date of publication of the withdrawal announcement.

If you acquired a vehicle and its certification was withdrawn on or after the date you acquired it, you can rely on such certification even if you had not placed the vehicle in service or claimed the credit by the date the withdrawal announcement was published by the IRS. The IRS will not attempt to collect any understatement of tax liability attributable to reliance on the certification as long as you acquired the vehicle on or before the date the IRS published the withdrawal announcement.

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
  • You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit. (My comment: Purchase contract should suffice)
  • You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year. (My comment: Registration of the vehicle should suffice)
  • The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways. (My comment: The IRS website listing the vehicle should suffice.)
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you. (My comment: Registration of the vehicle should suffice)
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale. (My comment: Title of the vehicle should suffice)
  • You use the vehicle primarily in the United States. (My comment: Registration of the vehicle should suffice)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Seems IRS does that hoping the tax payer will be so confused as to abandon the credit. Bolt owners have gotten an 'invalid VIN' error from the IRS when in fact the VIN was correct - that was fraud on IRS's part. Guess they are now just denying the claim with no explanation. Still waiting to hear back from Bolt owners whether their resubmission was later accepted... if I were you, I'd file a complaint with your congress rep/senators offices. If enough complaints get to them, they may demand an investigation to see who exactly in the IRS is committing this fraudulent denial of credit. Could be someone in IRS using their position to express their personal disagreement with the tax credit.
Uhhh GM hit the 200k limit in 2018. The $1875 reduced tax credit completely expired April 2020. How much were they trying to claim?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Electronic filing, you would not have submitted the additional documents, so looks like they are pulling those with tax credits and demanding the documents. The problem is that IRS is asking for Manufacturer's Certification and Purchase Contract... I don't think anyone is given the Manufacturer's Certification when they buy the car - plus, the model is on the IRS web site. I suspect someone has a personal/political agenda in the IRS and is bullying the honest Joe taxpayer. Thus, my recommendation to complain to your Congress Rep and Senators.

Certification and Other Requirements
Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.

If, however, the IRS publishes an announcement that the certification for any specific make, model, and model year vehicle has been withdrawn, you cannot rely on the certification for such a vehicle acquired after the date of publication of the withdrawal announcement.

If you acquired a vehicle and its certification was withdrawn on or after the date you acquired it, you can rely on such certification even if you had not placed the vehicle in service or claimed the credit by the date the withdrawal announcement was published by the IRS. The IRS will not attempt to collect any understatement of tax liability attributable to reliance on the certification as long as you acquired the vehicle on or before the date the IRS published the withdrawal announcement.

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
  • You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit. (My comment: Purchase contract should suffice)
  • You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year. (My comment: Registration of the vehicle should suffice)
  • The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways. (My comment: The IRS website listing the vehicle should suffice.)
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you. (My comment: Registration of the vehicle should suffice)
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale. (My comment: Title of the vehicle should suffice)
  • You use the vehicle primarily in the United States. (My comment: Registration of the vehicle should suffice)
I've submitted for three different Prius Primes and I've never had a bit of trouble. You seem to have issues with the IRS. A lot of issues with the IRS have to do with Congress micromanaging what they do. The end result is that more regular joes get audited, while the IRS is prohibited from pursuing more lucrative audit avenues.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Although I can't apply for the 2020 EV credit, I don't anticipate any issues when I file 2021 return along with the EV credit in 2022. The instruction seems fairly straight forward and very easy if you use the TurboTax. It is possible that the tax returns are taking much longer to get processed because of stimulus checks and so forth. If you don’t have any outstanding issues with the IRS, your return will get processed.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've submitted for three different Prius Primes and I've never had a bit of trouble. You seem to have issues with the IRS. A lot of issues with the IRS have to do with Congress micromanaging what they do. The end result is that more regular joes get audited, while the IRS is prohibited from pursuing more lucrative audit avenues.
No issues with the IRS except that they claim the VIN was invalid for several Bolt owning tax payer... that was a false claim as the VIN was valid... so back to my curiosity whether someone at IRS has some kind of personal/political agenda.

·
Registered
21 Rav4 Prime SE with a little brother 95 LJ70 diesel
49 Posts
I expect I will be getting audited when I claim 2 credits next year for my original prime and the replacement prime

·
Registered
21 Rav4 Prime SE with a little brother 95 LJ70 diesel
49 Posts
Good to know. My guess is they would flag it but I have all the proof. Once I have it in hand I will have a $29K net Prime.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts