Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
A hybrid doesn't need a start-stop system, nor can it be disabled. It can run on EV while sitting in the drive-thru and can regen while in stop and go traffic, capturing much of the lost energy. The owner won't have to install an EVSE, find a fast-charger, and won't have range anxiety or any other concerns - they'll have a vehicle that gets better mpg with less emissions and can have it now for the same price. EVs are not quite there yet. Widespread hybrids are the bridge we need.
Um... I was responding to your message talked about mild hybrids. BTW, so why did we not invent steam powered engine to assist horses but instead abandoned horses?

At this point in time, when we are close to ICE = EV price parity (projection before 2025), it is better to skip an interim tech like hybrids (great for last decade) which will continue to be used for over a decade. EVs get cleaner through time because the grid gets cleaner. Not the case for hybrids. A 2012 Nissan Leaf drives cleaner today. A 2012 Prius drives just as dirty today.

·
Registered
21 Rav4 Prime SE with a little brother 95 LJ70 diesel
52 Posts
I doubt it with respect to the Prime. The problem is the American Union car companies targeted really do not have the production capacity to handle any significant demand. The production lines are not the bottleneck, its going to be power electronics (chips) and the batteries that are the problem and both of those are a couple of years out.

No doubt I envision a cash for gas hogs program similar to cash for clunkers will happen at some point assuming the country does not go conservative in the mid terms and next presidential election. All bets are off if the US electorate decides to crawl back under the rock for four more years.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts