Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a no-brainer for the relatively small option price.

Fuel mileage seem like it will range from 30 to 40+ (closer to 30 in snow/cold), so real world annual average could be about 35 or so. I assume that's probably still quite a bit better than gas powered only.

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't regret it one bit. Even with refueling problems, it still has a range equal or better than the gas model. And I'd rather have a refueling problem than a transmission problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Didn't see that thread. That should answer my question. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't regret it one bit. Even with refueling problems, it still has a range equal or better than the gas model. And I'd rather have a refueling problem than a transmission problem.
Are there problems with the 8 speed in the regular RAV4?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Though, to be fair, there's at least a TSB for that one. Hopefully the refueling problems see something similar ... soon ...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Are there problems with the 8 speed in the regular RAV4?
unfortunately this seems to be the worst toyota launch in recent memory.

All iterations have major powertrain issues.

Regular gas powered Rav4 has a bad transmission. Toyota has been having problems with the Aisin 8 speed for nearly TWO YEARS now. It is well documented in the Camry and the Highlander. See below for an example...hundreds and hundreds of complaints.

Toyota Questions - 2018 Camry Transmission - 8 speed - why having problems? - CarGurus

The Adventure model has a major problem in the driveline disconnect feature, clunking, etc.

And last but not least, it seems nearly every Hybrid can't even take a full tank of gas.

Pick your poison!

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
unfortunately this seems to be the worst toyota launch in recent memory.

All iterations have major powertrain issues.

Regular gas powered Rav4 has a bad transmission. Toyota has been having problems with the Aisin 8 speed for nearly TWO YEARS now. It is well documented in the Camry and the Highlander. See below for an example...hundreds and hundreds of complaints.

Toyota Questions - 2018 Camry Transmission - 8 speed - why having problems? - CarGurus

The Adventure model has a major problem in the driveline disconnect feature, clunking, etc.

And last but not least, it seems nearly every Hybrid can't even take a full tank of gas.

Pick your poison!
I'd hardly call the refueling problem a "major powertrain issue."

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is week two after picking up our new 2020 RavH Limited. So far I am very pleased with the Rav and to answer your question I only regret not buying one sooner.
Bill

Fuel mileage seem like it will range from 30 to 40+ (closer to 30 in snow/cold), so real world annual average could be about 35 or so. I assume that's probably still quite a bit better than gas powered only.

No regrets at all. Fall mileage the first 3,000 mi was 38-40. Winter in Wisconsin mileage now is 36.8 - 37.5 or so. We are on rural roads, at 55 mph and through small towns. Interstate drives push up the mpg, but 60 mph, slow starts, coasting to stop signs/light, ... all seem to give the best resuts and that's what we were wanting. BIG improvement over our 2010 RAV4 and I think I have figured put all the tech. I agree with other that the ICY ROAD warning beep is tiresome. It is cold here all winter, so we hear it with every start. I'm going to ask the dealer to install brighter interior lights. Its dark in there !

·
Registered
109 Posts

I do. There's only so much I could find out during a 2 minute test drive in the summer.

Cheap interior that rattles
Rocker switches for heated seats
Dim interior lighting
Non backlit buttons
Backup noise
Huge a/c knob
No hidden storage in trunk
Cheap thin hollow doors
Cheap thin glass
Loud
Ginormous orange seatbelt sign
Mirrors that vibrate
"Hybrid system malfunction"
Paint seems to chip easily
Engine cools right down coasting downhill in winter

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

So yep, put me in the "regret" column.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I do. There's only so much I could find out during a 2 minute test drive in the summer.

Cheap interior that rattles
Rocker switches for heated seats
Dim interior lighting
Non backlit buttons
Backup noise
Huge a/c knob
No hidden storage in trunk
Cheap thin hollow doors
Cheap thin glass
Loud
Ginormous orange seatbelt sign
Mirrors that vibrate
"Hybrid system malfunction"
Paint seems to chip easily
Engine cools right down coasting downhill in winter

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

So yep, put me in the "regret" column.
That's a long list. So what vehicle do you wish you had purchased instead?

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's a long list. So what vehicle do you wish you had purchased instead?
My problem was that I blindly went into the selection process with the Toyota is the most reliable mentality. I was initially willing to overlook some stuff. My short list was the Rav4, CR-V, and CX-5. I ruled out the CR-V due to the many reports of oil dillution, hard to warm up, and lots of cars not starting after a couple of days as some software glitch was keeping some processes running and thus draining the battery. But mostly I ruled it out due to that 1.5 dreamworks or whatever motor.

If I could do it over again, I'd go with the CX-5.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The base AWD model which I think was the GS AWD (in Canada). I suspect it would have a few of the same issues quality wise - but I'd at least have a more enjoyable ride and a much higher quality interior. Yeah I wish I could have a do-over which wouldn't cost me $10K to switch vehicles. Maybe in time I won't care as much about my Toyota gripes and like it more.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts