Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing an experiment and seeing how much I can improve my city fuel economy by stop/starting at traffic lights. Obviously, that puts more wear on the starter, but those are cheap to replace. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what their results were.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You traded your hybrid for a gas version because the hybrid was "too complex" and thus "unreliable", and now you want to do this? :rolleyes:
+1. Why? To save gas?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Everything boils down to risk vs reward. The amount of $$ or fuel you would save would pale in comparison to potential issues you could create. My 2003 Tundra put the starter inside the intake manifold, about a $1400 replacement cost. Anyway, do as you please. Please be sure let us know if you save more than 50c per tank, and don't worry about those honking at you as you are tying to start your car and get back into gear while everyone behind you waits.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You traded your hybrid for a gas version because the hybrid was "too complex" and thus "unreliable", and now you want to do this? :rolleyes:
Lol, I'm just curious how much fuel economy can be eeked out of the gas RAV4. Although thinking about it, it's probably not a good idea because there's sometimes a 2 second delay before it shifts into gear.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My friend has an Outback 4-cyl and it reports a saving of 0.1 liter on a full tank. Thats a saving of about 0.2% so totally not worth it. If you wanna make a real saving put your cruise to 55mph on tje highway

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
I thought Toyota owners were practical and rationale? Isn't it why we are driving one of the most reliable vehicle/appliance the world has ever known? :)

Maybe I should do the corollary experiment and keep pressing the gas pedal on my wife's hybrid so the gasoline engine doesn't shut off. :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Maybe I should do the corollary experiment and keep pressing the gas pedal on my wife's hybrid so the gasoline engine doesn't shut off. :)
It's getting down to -30C here lately and my engine never shuts off. Mileage is ****. :frown. Gonna plug in at work tomorrow though and see how much that helps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's getting down to -30C here lately and my engine never shuts off. Mileage is ****. :frown. Gonna plug in at work tomorrow though and see how much that helps.
You should look into blocking some openings in the bumper for the winter. I'm looking at it at 0C. The engine is running too much to heat the cabin.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Seems that it would be less expensive to leave the engine running at traffic lights than possibly down the line having to replace the starter motor and even the starter activation switch and circuitry, and also perhaps the battery, earlier than would normally be necessary. Also, engine stop/start/meanwhile on a vehicle not designed for it puts an end to quick getaways . . .while the driver behind accelerates into the tailpipe . . .:wink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts