Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has looked into or tried to replace their "regular" headlights with the LED/HID headlights?

I am also confused do the headlights with LED DRL's along the top use hid or led for low beam? how many versions of headlights are their?

·
Registered
548 Posts
There's a thread in this forum about replacing the headlights with LEDs. Somebody tried it, but since the lamp faces sideways in the mount instead of towards the front, the LED light output was disappointing. Also, when using LEDs in DRL mode, there is a flickering of the LEDs, likely due to the PWM action of the DRL system. I think the person who tried it put everything back the way it was and returned the LEDs.
The headlights with LED DRL's along the top are regular halogen lamps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably wasn't specific enough, but I meant for example swapping over the limited/hybrid complete headlight housing to a LE/XLE without the stock LED headlights.

I have tried LED bulbs in the halogen projectors and they didn't perform very well. Which should be expected since the projectors are made for halogen. Maybe it was just a poor LED bulb(Putco) but it seemed dimmer and too "blue"

From what I have read there really isn't a LED bulb kit out there that is worth it, quite yet

·
Registered
117 Posts
I probably wasn't specific enough, but I meant for example swapping over the limited/hybrid complete headlight housing to a LE/XLE without the stock LED headlights.

I have tried LED bulbs in the halogen projectors and they didn't perform very well. Which should be expected since the projectors are made for halogen. Maybe it was just a poor LED bulb(Putco) but it seemed dimmer and too "blue"

From what I have read there really isn't a LED bulb kit out there that is worth it, quite yet
I'd like to do the same, if I understand you correctly... you want to "activate" the row of LED's above the headlight, like in the Limited/Hybrid. I don't know why it's not included in at least the XLE, which is what I have. I wonder how hard of a job it would be to replace the full headlight housing, if it's even possible...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'd like to do the same, if I understand you correctly... you want to "activate" the row of LED's above the headlight, like in the Limited/Hybrid. I don't know why it's not included in at least the XLE, which is what I have. I wonder how hard of a job it would be to replace the full headlight housing, if it's even possible...
Yeah basically replace the "base" halogen headlight housing with the entire housing from the "fancy" models. I don't really care for the led lightning that reminds me of eyebrows when I see them in person. I am more interested in the LED bulbs that are used inside of the driving low beam projectors

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi edvic, if you don't mind me asking how much and where did you get the lamps? Also, is yours a Limited model or did you put in the smaller strip of LEDs in the top section of the headlamps? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished yesterday to install led's in all of the headlights but in the low beam lamp I couldn't install it because the fan didn't fit the dust cover, so I put 3200 lumens (each) 5000k HID in the low beams, and 4,000 lumens (each) led 6000k in the high beams and the fog lights. So, I got 22,400 lumens in total. I guess it is too much, but it looks very cool :cool:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I installed HID's a few months after buying my '13. They worked great for almost 3 years, then started flickering on one side whenever I went over a bump.
I narrowed it down to a loose wire in one of the ballast connections. I had already spent $150 on the HID kit. Instead of buying a new set of ballasts, I just ripped everything out and went back to halogens. No more aggravation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I installed HID's a few months after buying my '13. They worked great for almost 3 years, then started flickering on one side whenever I went over a bump.
I narrowed it down to a loose wire in one of the ballast connections. I had already spent $150 on the HID kit. Instead of buying a new set of ballasts, I just ripped everything out and went back to halogens. No more aggravation.
Wow!
And here I was thinking of replacing my low beams on my '13 Limited with HIDs or LEDs...
Ugh!
Decisions, decisions...

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
232 Posts
this is how mine look like. 2013 rav led philips csp
Here's mine, I don't really think is much better than the halogens. Whiter yes, but not really better...
Although, I always used the halogens with the fog lights on all the time at night.
I might have to change them again to use the halogens without the fog lights, than put the LEDs back to make sure. Ugh!
20170219_192125.jpg
I might need to change brands.
Do you have a link for yours?
Do they look better than the halogens?
TIA.

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts