Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...on a 6-disc (non-JBL) sound system? I am thinking of replacing them with polk audio db5250s but would rather not if there isn't much improvement with the stock hu. Would it be much better to add an external amplifier at the same time? Not sure where I'd put one since I hate using any of the cargo area.

Scot

·
Registered
91 Posts
There are a few things to consider before changing speakers.

1. what ohms does the factory deck handle (you could kill your factory deck if it cant handle the new speakers)
2. what ohms are the factory speakers (if same as new speakers your golden)
3. I would add an amp as usually when you put aftermarket speakers in they tend to lose bass response. (usually, cant say for this vehicle)
4. do you want to be able to upgrade later (be flexible now, it could save you money in the future)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I put infinity components up front only. They are good speakers in their own right, but not great > B grade. My stereo went from a D to a C with the stock unit. I would do an amp if you want something really good, but if you are not doing the head unit it is an extra $80 for the kit and labor to hook into the speaker wires( the stock h/u does not have an RCA out).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. It seems like it would only really be worth it when adding an amp. (I hoped it would be like the home system where the most radical improvement was with decent speakers). When I muster the courage to tackle this project, I'll post results. Any ideas for an amp small enough to fit under the seat and having speaker level inputs?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Much like the tires on a car, the speakers are where the rubber meets the road. It will make a difference if you change the speakers. I have done it many times and you get the most bang for the buck.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think just replacing the speakers is an idea worth considering. If someone can replace the JBL system with simple compatible speakers, it should be an economical way to improve the audio :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scot, I replaced all 4 of my speakers with the Polks that you mention. Once you see the OEM crap speakers that Toyota uses, there is no where to go but up. The difference is night and day. Clarity improved a great deal. Bass is average. I still may replace the head unit down the road, but this set up works for now. I don't know how anyone could stand to listen to the non JBL factory setup.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I thought that the rav has 6.5'' speakers...why does crutchfield recommend the 5.25''

Can anyone help shed some light on this?

scot said:
...on a 6-disc (non-JBL) sound system? I am thinking of replacing them with polk audio db5250s but would rather not if there isn't much improvement with the stock hu. Would it be much better to add an external amplifier at the same time? Not sure where I'd put one since I hate using any of the cargo area.

Scot

·
Registered
394 Posts
RAVPHO said:
I thought that the RAV has 6.5'' speakers...why does crutchfield recommend the 5.25''

Can anyone help shed some light on this?
I just checked Crutchfield.com. They recommend 5 1/4" & UP. The doors easily accept a 6 3/4". I just installed these Polk 6 3/4" coaxials in my rear doors. Had to make a pair of MDF rings because the speakers were still too small for the speaker hole.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Scot
Thanks. It seems like it would only really be worth it when adding an amp. (I hoped it would be like the home system where the most radical improvement was with decent speakers). When I muster the courage to tackle this project, I'll post results. Any ideas for an amp small enough to fit under the seat and having speaker level inputs?
I have an Alpine MRP-F240 amp, I also needed a small amplifier to provide a better sound output, the Alpine is great, 4x40W @ 4 ohms... it can be bridged into 2 outputs if needed, checkout the web for specs. :cheers:. I bought last year it from Bestbuy for $170.00 the web prices are ~ $120 - $130. Cruchtfield has discontinued this model as it has been replaced with the MRP-F250, the physical size and power output is almost the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts