Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to upsize my '13 XLE tires from 225/65/R17 to 235/70/R17. They're about 1.5" larger in diameter.

I'm primarily interested in the added ground clearance and increased sidewall height. I'm aware of the disadvantages of using a larger tire.

Has anyone confirmed that 235/70/R17 tires fit without rubbing?

·
0 Posts
Based on a tire size calculator, the speed difference between the tires is 3 mph.
If your speedometer shows 60 mph (with new tires), you will actually be going 63 mph.
But since most of the speedometers are a head by about 3 - 4 mph, it will very close to accurate (meaning 60 mph on the speedometer will actually be or very close to 60 mph).

·
Registered
137 Posts
2007 base rav4 bought it used
original 225/65R17's had the speedo running off by 3 mph
i put 235/65R17's on and now my speedo and GPS are giving me the same MPH.

i got nothing for the 70 profile mentioned by the op.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Under full suspension compression could cause slight scrubbing in the upper wheel well areas. I wish I had factual data, but I'm just guestimating.

I'd like to see how much clearance is offered with the factory 225/65.

I'm still torn between a 235/65 and a 245/65. I will be light off-roading my Rav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, I settled on a 245/65 Hankook Dynapro. I will post any fitment issue (if applicable) when mounted.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
My appointment is this Thursday. I'll be sure to include some pictures.

Here's a silly teaser pic. The oddest offset of the tire makes it look huge in the picture. Overall about 1" total height delta.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mounted and surprisingly enough clearance for articulation.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mounted and surprisingly enough clearance for articulation.

A 235/70/R17 tire is about 1/2" larger diameter than your new shoes. What do you think? Would an additional 1/2" diameter (1/4" on the radius) fit without issue?

·
Registered
106 Posts
A 235/70/R17 tire is about 1/2" larger diameter than your new shoes. What do you think? Would an additional 1/2" diameter (1/4" on the radius) fit without issue?

To be honest, I took a noticeable hit in power, along with the additional weight. I've only logged about 50 miles, but I would not go larger than a 29" tire. It's a tight fit, and with variations in manufacturer specs, I'm sure depending on the selection, it will vary in size.

·
Registered
32 Posts
To be honest, I took a noticeable hit in power, along with the additional weight. I've only logged about 50 miles, but I would not go larger than a 29" tire. It's a tight fit, and with variations in manufacturer specs, I'm sure depending on the selection, it will vary in size.

I would be very interested in hearing more about the "noticeable hit in power" and the impact to your drive experience. Too early for MPG hit info but it will be interesting to hear about it in the future.

The tires look good thought.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would be very interested in hearing more about the "noticeable hit in power" and the impact to your drive experience. Too early for MPG hit info but it will be interesting to hear about it in the future.

The tires look good thought.

Thank you. I keep a log of my mpg, so figuring out the fuel economy impact will hopefully be seamless.

For the power hit, I'm basing my initial impression off of the transmission and throttle response. I immediately noticed more gear hunting when approaching inclines. I also can feel a slight load increase on acceleration. Nothing that isn't manageable, and will eventually fade as I get accustomed to it.

I am welcoming the additional clearance and performance in the dirt. I spend a lot of time off the pavement.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm getting a nosebleed just looking at the ground clearance.......:wink
Running boards next....to get up and in....:smile

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you. I keep a log of my mpg, so figuring out the fuel economy impact will hopefully be seamless.

For the power hit, I'm basing my initial impression off of the transmission and throttle response. I immediately noticed more gear hunting when approaching inclines. I also can feel a slight load increase on acceleration. Nothing that isn't manageable, and will eventually fade as I get accustomed to it.

I am welcoming the additional clearance and performance in the dirt. I spend a lot of time off the pavement.

It has been a few weeks and probably at least a fuel-up. Just curious how you are making out with MPG, ride, performance, feel, ...

Looking forward to an update even if it waits for a 2nd fuel-up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It has been a few weeks and probably at least a fuel-up. Just curious how you are making out with MPG, ride, performance, feel, ...

Looking forward to an update even if it waits for a 2nd fuel-up.

Fuel economy: Just made my first fill Saturday. Hand calculated is 22.3 MPG of 30/70 driving after my first round. That is down from 24.7 MPG after 6 tanks on factory tires. I have 2k miles on the RAV, so I will continue to monitor.

Performance: I normally leave the RAV in 'Normal' mode while driving, but I noticed the amount of downshifting on grades had increased. Whether of not 'Sport' mode adjusts the shifting logic, it seems to remediate the shifting glitch and drives as normal. Acceleration from stop, and normal around town driving feels slightly sluggish, but nothing that would be noticed/bother most.

Riding/Driving: Outside of increased tire noise from the AT pattern, the handling and road manors feels the same. :smile

Reactions: wtdash
1 - 20 of 24 Posts