Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Computers were invented by people who did not have computers.

Smart phones were invented by people who didn't have a smart phone.
Now, a majority of the population can't eat a hot dog without posting it on their computer and phone accounts.

My Garmin comes with a life time no cost data plan. I know of no one who has had their GPS hacked or the information on it stolen.

Different strokes for different folks. In case you think it's because i don't know how to use technology, my first computer was a TI 99/4A.
If you are feature phone user than a little Garmin is great. If you already have smartphone with a data plan, why not use it for nav? Using a data enabled device brings traffic info, a pic of your destination and the maps are more up to date. If you don't want to use data, you can cache a region on Google Maps, I have Southern and Central Coast California cached. Some apps can download whole states or even the country. It doesn't have to be an $800 phone. Even $100 smartphones run Google maps well. The down side is that Google, Apple, the governmet and everyone they sell data to can figure out where you have been and guess where you will most likely be.

Don't think less of people for using a smartphone, if they bought a $100 smartphone and downloaded the maps from their home network, then they are being more frugal and more up to date in information than you.

In school I had a Trash80 (Radio Shack) and learned 6502 assembly language on an Atari 800 at home. So I am a dinosuar too.

"AND GET OFF MY LAWN!">:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ah, the Trash80 . . . . when Radio Shack thought they were going to rule the world. Alas, they have joined PhotoMat and Blockbuster. We must be OLD!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Ah, the Trash80 . . . . when Radio Shack thought they were going to rule the world. Alas, they have joined PhotoMat and Blockbuster. We must be OLD!!!!!!
Radio Shack is still alive and well online and they still have a bunch of "dealers" in the Pacific NW, I just bought one of their heavy duty dual power soldering guns, had one for the last 10yrs until my 48yr old son burnt it up on one of his projects, some people's kids!! :frown

https://www.radioshack.com/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Paperboy,

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how to use technology. I too had a TI 99, and used a cassette recorder for data storage. I learned Basic programming on the thing, and it contributed to my long career in IT. I still have the whole setup in my garage. :smile It's next to my Radio Shack 200 Electronic Projects board! I later moved up to an IBM PC with two full height floppy drives, and later added a whopping 10Mb hard drive. Oh, and 640K of memory! Hot stuff back then. :smile

I was just saying that I prefer my iPhone over a standalone portable GPS, as I can easily take it from car to car, and I don't have to worry about hiding a portable GPS each time I park the vehicle. However, I do have two hanging around in case I'm in an area without cell coverage.

Peace! :thumbs_up:

Computers were invented by people who did not have computers.

Smart phones were invented by people who didn't have a smart phone.
Now, a majority of the population can't eat a hot dog without posting it on their computer and phone accounts.

My Garmin comes with a life time no cost data plan. I know of no one who has had their GPS hacked or the information on it stolen.

Different strokes for different folks. In case you think it's because i don't know how to use technology, my first computer was a TI 99/4A.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had a thermal printer for my TI. Eventually upgraded to a dot matrix printer. AND . . . an expansion box. A single sided 5 1/4 floppy drive and text to speech.
The good part of starting when we did, is that we actually know how and why a computer works. Ummm . . . when it actually works. My favorite old saying a bout computers is, "Like nailing jelly to a tree."

·
Registered
184 Posts
Reviving an old thread rather than start new....

If I admitted to learning WATFOR & WATFIV FORTRAN on an IBM 360-65 with punch cards, would you call me old? Or BASIC on a DEC PDP-8 with Teletype terminals? That was the state of engineering schools in the 1970's.....

Anyhow, about Scout GPS. My daughter would prefer to use Waze on her phone, but I decided to give it a shot today on her 2018 XLE (with 6.1" Touch-Screen Entune Multimedia Bundle with Scout connected navigation).

I added Scout GPSLink to my Samsung G7. On the phone it shows maps with my current location.

I went thru the pairing process to the radio head (I was already Bluetooth linked to her car for streaming music and phone). But during the pairing process for Scout there was a popup that said something along the lines that 'this app only supports turn-by-turn navigation and not maps'. If you are used to maps and spoken directions, the idea of going back to something like VZ Turn by Turn on a flip phone is most unappealing!

Someone earlier mentioned they were able to mirror a map to the dash, but it was small. Anyone else able to get it to work beyond T by T?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tried Scout when I first got my car last year. It's a joke. Fortunately I was trying it out on a route that I was familiar with.
It gave turn directions seconds after I passed the spot I was supposed to turn at.
I like my RAV4 but technology-wise it's behind the times.
I like using Waze or my stand-alone GPS with lifetime map updates.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't have the vehicle with me right now, but the 2018 brochure lists the radio head as having Entune Audio Plus. I'm going to guess that this falls short of Entune 3.0??

According to several sources, if you have a Toyota with Entune 3.0 Multimedia Bundle with Scout connected navigation, it does support both "Moving Maps Mode" and turn by turn. But you also have to use a USB cable between your phone and the dash port. Moving Maps is not supported over Bluetooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. Quite a lot of people on here don’t like the Scout GPS. I have to say it’s worked for me when I needed it. I agree it could be better but it does get me where I need to go when I’m on the road and out of state. I had trust issues with it so I had my google maps on iPhone and scout running simultaneously and they both helped me find my way. I no longer use the google maps and have put my trust in the scout app. The worst thing that could happen is I might have to stop and check google or make a u turn if it ever fails me.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts