Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the dealer last week and noticed they are selling it. I've used it on other cars. Normally I add it just prior to an oil change to get any of it out of the engine that hasn't burned off.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
I don't use it and I don't get it either. Why would you add something that's supposed to be good for an engine and then try to make sure you purge it out quickly (before it does damage)?

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I don't use it or understand the logic behind the post, either. Was the thinking that one would pour Techron into their crankcase oil? Chevron gas contains Techron, but not a lot. Some on this forum use Techron (I believe that RTexasF does) occasionally, as a fuel additive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In the old days I think the bottle recommended using it prior to an oil change. No such recommendation nowadays. I guess it's because it's good to clean the combustion chamber but not so good for bearings 'n stuff if it blows past your rings.
I bought a case cheap at costco and use it in my 4Runner once or twice a year. I'll use it in my RAV when I get more than a few thousand miles on it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it. Techron goes in the gas tank, so what difference does it make when the oil change was done? I've added Techron to a full tank of gas and it does work well.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Wondering how you know/knew.
I had a Mustang that every so often would start to stumble and misfire. A bottle of Techron would bring it back to normal. Anywhere from 6 months to a year later it would start acting up again, craving its Techron fix. Maybe I should have replaced the injectors, but I was poor and Techron was cheap.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
I had a Mustang that every so often would start to stumble and misfire. A bottle of Techron would bring it back to normal. Anywhere from 6 months to a year later it would start acting up again, craving its Techron fix. Maybe I should have replaced the injectors, but I was poor and Techron was cheap.

I had a Mazda 626 V-6 that did the same thing. Techron restored it to zoom zoom every time. That's why I still use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts