Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're thinking about purchasing the 19 Adventure, but after reading multiple posts about the transmission producing a "mooing" sound it appears that there hasn't been much success per Toyota's TSB besides a few lucky people that reported that the fix did work for them. It's disappointing seeing all these posts about the transmission problems without any solution as the Adventure trim is what we fell in love with at the dealers.

Just wondering if it's even worth purchasing the Adventure at this point. Is the sound is really a problem in which it would effect the drive/safety of the vehicle in the future or is it just a hindrance?

Also is there anyone that DOESN'T have this problem? This might give us a peace of mind since we really do want the Adventure trim.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think there are potentially two issues

The jerky 8 speed and a different problem with the driveline disconnect clunk

There is a TSB for the 8sp that seems promising but too early

Which one are you concerned about

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
We're thinking about purchasing the 19 Adventure, but after reading multiple posts about the transmission producing a "mooing" sound it appears that there hasn't been much success per Toyota's TSB besides a few lucky people that reported that the fix did work for them. It's disappointing seeing all these posts about the transmission problems without any solution as the Adventure trim is what we fell in love with at the dealers.

Just wondering if it's even worth purchasing the Adventure at this point. Is the sound is really a problem in which it would effect the drive/safety of the vehicle in the future or is it just a hindrance?

Also is there anyone that DOESN'T have this problem? This might give us a peace of mind since we really do want the Adventure trim.
The mooing sound isn't caused by the transmission, it's caused by the rear driveline disconnect in the transfer case. The funky low speed transmission shift behavior is a totally different issue that may affect all gas models, not just the Adventure/Trail and Limited.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mooing sound isn't caused by the transmission, it's caused by the rear driveline disconnect in the transfer case. The funky low speed transmission shift behavior is a totally different issue that may affect all gas models, not just the Adventure/Trail and Limited.
I apologize I thought it was the same issue, as I'm not a car person so I got confused. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there are potentially two issues

The jerky 8 speed and a different problem with the driveline disconnect clunk

There is a TSB for the 8sp that seems promising but too early

Which one are you concerned about
More of the driveline disconnect in the transfer case. Since it seems to only affect the adventure and limited.
Would this affect the longevity of the vehicle? or just the sound

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
More of the driveline disconnect in the transfer case. Since it seems to only affect the adventure and limited.
Would this affect the longevity of the vehicle? or just the sound
That remains to be seen, the rear driveline disconnect system is new, touted as "the world's first" in Toyota's press release, that scared me off and why I bought an XLE Premium, I like the grill of the Adventure more, but I didn't like the wheels, but love SofTex seats and Limited wheels, so the XLE Premium was the best choice for me.

Standard on AWD-equipped Limited gas and Adventure grade models, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect can send 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels, plus, distribute it to the left or right rear wheel for improved handling. When AWD isn't required (on long stretches of highway, for example), RAV4 can achieve better fuel economy thanks to the Rear Driveline Disconnect system. The disconnection features the world's first ratchet-type dog clutches on both the front and rear wheel shafts. These clutches stop the driveshaft's rotations, thus transmitting the driving force to the front wheels when AWD isn't required, significantly reducing energy loss, improving fuel efficiency, and reducing rotational vibration making for a smoother ride.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have about 6500 miles in my Adventure and have yet to have the rear driveline disconnect noise issue...transmission also seems solid. Guess I’m lucky (thus far). Been very happy with mine up to this point.

Despite this, however, if I were shopping right now, knowing about all these reports of issues, I’m not sure I’d opt for the Adventure or Limited trims...seems a bit too risky for such a major purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2019 Adventure with about 22,000 miles on it. I like everything about the vehicle (except the 19-inch wheel size - I am hoping to change tires/wheels to improve winter traction & summer puncture resistance). It performs well & gets great gas mileage. There are no issues with either the transmission or the driveline disconnect so far. The transmission shift points seem optimal. I have gotten up to 36 mpg on a slower speed windy road near-full tank round trip (30-31 is typical). I like its ergonomics (dash, etc.). I was worried I would not like the electronic speedometer, but it is pretty nice. The Adventure trim also has the roof rails, rear inverter & increased towing capacity which I like. I would definitely purchase this vehicle again.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I have a 2019 limited as of six months that a bought after trading in a 2016 imited.
Love it ,in the beginning I thought the transmission was very different and a little jerky but it is a leaning transmission so with that being said after 6 months I have noticed it becoming much smoother.
Also I brought one that was assembled in Japan as did my 2016.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
IS4ME
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing