Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new (2 months) black Chili. I cleaned it up yesterday and noticed some marks in the paint just in front (towards glass) of the windshield washer nozzles. I tried washing them out but no luck. It appears as though the washerfluid has damaged the paint, it is sort of a smeary / oily spotting that seems permanently scarred into the paint.

Anyone with a dark or otherwise non-clearcoated RAV have this problem? I haven't changed the washer fluid, its what the dealer put in there. I think I saw a spot on the upper edge of the drivers door as well (perhaps from overspray).

P.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I dont know if its a similar problem, but my silver Rav has a circle directly around the washers that looks like the paint itself is faded. Very odd considering the rest of the paint is pristine.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, interesting. I asusme your RAV is a 97'. It may be the same cause, but show much more on the black. At the moment the marks are only in front (direction of spray) of the nozzles, not around them. Over time we'll see.

Once we get another nice day I'll take another turn at fixing this.

Anyone else with a black/blue RAV - spot or no spots - care to chime in?

Thx.
P.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might be the washer fluid potency. I had this happen to me on my old chevy so I started to wax the hood and around the nozzles and it went away.

If you have winter fluid in there(the stuff that can go to -20C or -45C etc) it is very acidic in order for it to melt ice. If you leave it in for the summer(I do) I would suggest that you definately wax or use some kind of polish that protects from acid, around the nozzles and in the direction of the spray(do the whole hood while you are at it :) ). The wax will keep the acidic fluid from marking the clearcoat.

Also, it does trickle down into the engine bay from the windshield so do yourself a favour, to save money and not have to get an engine shampoo, pick a nice mild day during the spring(and in the fall) and clean your engine bay with shop towels or something similar. Just use clean water unless you need a degreaser. Your engine will stay nice and clean and any grime(including washer fluid, salt etc) wont eat anything away. You dont need an engine shampoo unless its filthy. Just a thought but worth the work.

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts