Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2016 RAV4 hybrid limited and drive about an hour to work and from work every day. I have been getting upper back pain mostly from that little curve on the seat at upper back area. I feel like that little curve keeps my upper back bent all the time while I am driving. I am very happy with everything else's about the car, but my back is so important for my career. I never had back problem with my previous 2007 Camry. Anyone else with the same problem?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Not really, no. I had a 14 xle before this and had much more problems with the seating. The powered seat limited with lumbar is so much more adjustable and comfortable for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem during my third test drive. I was ready to purchase the 2016 Rav4 Limited but found the seats very uncomfortable.

The seat actually gave me a back ache. I could not straighten my back. My friend is same height and weight as I am and loves her RAV4 and has no problem with the seats. I figured it was just me. As much as I wanted to like the RAV4, I could not get comfortable. Even with the lumbar support, you cannot straighten your back due to the design of the seat.

I just ordered the Subaru Forester. I hope Toyota changes the seat for the 2018 RAV4.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
No problem for me, something you might consider is having the seat redone by an upholstery shop, my best friend had back problems with his 2012 Limited seat, he had the driver's seat redone, worked great for him.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have 2016 RAV4 hybrid limited and drive about an hour to work and from work every day. I have been getting upper back pain mostly from that little curve on the seat at upper back area. I feel like that little curve keeps my upper back bent all the time while I am driving. I am very happy with everything else's about the car, but my back is so important for my career. I never had back problem with my previous 2007 Camry. Anyone else with the same problem?
I wouldn't rule out that the headrest is the real cause of your discomfort.
I swapped mine out for a different model that allows me to put my head back a bit more. The stock ones push your head forward.
Virtually any Toyota headrest will fit and they all have different angles to them. I'm using a pair of leather headrests that came from a Gen-3 Prius. They give my head about another inch of space.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've loved the seats in my RAV4 Hybrid. No issues at all an I find them very comfortable. I drive an hour and 30 minutes average each way and no issues here. I never thought I would read about any seat issues because they are comfortable:surprise

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Interesting. Fortunately, my seats are very comfortable for me, and I love the lumber support. I am glad to hear, the head rest could be traded out. Just from observation, I also noticed the headrest, appeared to be extending forward a little, rather than straight up. I later thought it might be an optical illusion. Bottom line, if it is not comfortable, than it is not comfortable.

·
Registered
551 Posts
At first I couldn't drive more than a couple hours without getting back cramps upper and lower.
After many adjustments to height/leanback/lumbar/distance from steering wheel, I can now drive 4+ hours with little cramping.
I recommend trying as many positions as possible with your power seats.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I love the seats in my RAV4 Hybrid Limited, Softex. No problems, like NONE! I have arthritis in my cervical disc and spinal stenosis and a bulging disc in my lower back. I can adjust them to make me feel just fine. My wife has no complaints either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used to had back pain if I drew for more then 1/2 hour, but that was before I learned how to use the lumber support, after few adjustments, my pain is now gone...

Here is a tip when you adjust your lumber support, it might not feel comfortable at first, but after a trip, my pain is gone, and now I'm loving it's lumber support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2016 Limited Toyota loaded with everything and it is the first time I can honestly say I am disappointed in Toyota and this is a new feeling for me since I loved all my prior cars made by Toyota. I love everything about the RAV4 except gives me a pain in my neck if I drive more than 30 - 60 min. I didn't notice until I was taking a road trip because I typically drive short distances. I have been driving Toyotas since 1981 and never had this problem before. I have owed a variety of Toyotas too! I am currently seeing a physical therapist for it and it is UNACCEPTABLE. If I saw other complaints before my purchase I would never had bought it. TOYOTA NEEDS TO FIX THIS IN MY OPINION! Furthermore, I am surprised that complaints go back more years and still they go on. This is a ergonomic issue and is not the safe car I thought I purchased.

Some of you make comments about adjusting seat position and tires...BOGUS! Tried them all! The problem seems to be the headrest which doesn't adjust and needs to. Also the seat back sides come forward more than any Toyota I own has ever done. Perhaps it is supposed to cradle me but it doesn't fit me I am too sunk in such that I need to reach forward to get to the steering wheel...tried to adjust the steering wheel to by the way.

]I am wondering....are the people who are having the problem with these seats predominately women of shorter height? I am 5.5'.... I would also like to know if anyone has a real solution for this problem? Planned to keep this car for 10 years.....( I talked to the Toyota dealership and their solution was to turn the headrest around...it doesn't lock into position when I do this and seems unsafe to me.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
...( I talked to the Toyota dealership and their solution was to turn the headrest around...it doesn't lock into position when I do this and seems unsafe to me.
Just use a different headrest. I'm using one from a 2010 Prius and it works perfect. Take your headrest into the dealer and put it up against others from different models, find one with the right amount of angle. Then head off to eBay and buy one. Most all of the Toy headrests are interchangeable and all have different amounts of angle. Just be sure you're looking at front headrests.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had a back surgery years ago, but find my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid super comfortable, as well as smooth on the road. So all ok from here as far as seat comfort..

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am currently seeing a physical therapist for it and it is UNACCEPTABLE. If I saw other complaints before my purchase I would never had bought it. TOYOTA NEEDS TO FIX THIS IN MY OPINION! This is a ergonomic issue and is not the safe car I thought I purchased.
There is a NHTSA recall for this.

Make: TOYOTA

Models: RAV4

Production Dates: 2013-2017

Noncompliance: Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) is recalling all Toyota RAV4 models because someone feels the seats are uncomfortable. As such, these seats fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 6249110, "Comfortable Seating Systems."

Consequence: You might feel uncomfortable while sitting down in the driver's seat.

Corrective Action: Total recall of all RAV4s, which will be burned, then crushed.

Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

NHTSA No.: 45R002301

·
Registered
184 Posts
out of all Toyota`s that i owned over the years, the most comfortable sitting has to be an FJ Cruiser, at least for me. It`s like sitting on the couch, at home... RAV4 is not the worst one, but, having some back issues from an accident 20 years ago, i have to admit that driving long distances in RAV4 isn`t that great. I can probably do 1.5-2 hours and then have to stop and stretch. In FJ i can go from fill up to fill up (approx 220 miles) and could have gone more then that if i didn`t have to stop for gas haha.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I just got the notice. I told them: hell no! You are going to have to pry my cold dead butt off these warm cushioned seats :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is a NHTSA recall for this.
Thanks for the "FAKE NEWS" ! Must have come from the NY TIMES!!!!

BTW, my 2017 Rav4 Limited Hybrid as well as my precious 2014 Limited, both with Softex are
are/were perfectly comfortable in all temperatures. Same for overall seating comfort...long trips
included. 6"2", 210lbs. And yes, have long history of back injuries so i'm critical on seating comfort
before I buy new cars. These Rav's are great....my opinion of course.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
An obscure aside - upper back pain is a primary symptom of gall bladder failure, but it is so severe that most people seek medical help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for the "FAKE NEWS" ! Must have come from the NY TIMES!!!!

BTW, my 2017 Rav4 Limited Hybrid as well as my precious 2014 Limited, both with Softex are
are/were perfectly comfortable in all temperatures. Same for overall seating comfort...long trips
included. 6"2", 210lbs. And yes, have long history of back injuries so i'm critical on seating comfort
before I buy new cars. These Rav's are great....my opinion of course.
+1.
I have a history of back problems, and have had ruptured disk surgery and also neck / migraine history. The Rav seats was one of the reasons I bought the Rav. I have the soft tech SE sports seats and they fit me perfect. 5'8" 180lbs, and very happy with seats.
I did notice the head rest was a bit forward, but one more click back on seat angle fixed that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts