Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall the dealer saying end of Feb / March, the brochure says Feb... anyone have anything realistic that we can look forward to when the V6 will arrive?

Also, it appears that alot of people are "waiting for the V6" (which I too am doing). Any chance that actually getting a V6 will be difficult, or on a preorder situation?

I plan on calling my dealership back Thurs and asking them to secure me one of the first that arrive.. but just curious until then.

Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Carson Toyota in Carson, CA said she expects them in Feb. A dealer in San Diego said he was told the V6 will first be available in the LA area sometime in Feb and he would help me snag one.

As far as availability, Carson said that they will definitely not be stocking a lot of V6 due to their 4Runners (whatever that meant). If I recall in one of the articles I read, Toyota is planning to make ~30% of the production V6's. I couldn't find the article on the anticipated yearly sales numbers for RAV4 but I think it was in the 100K (but don't bank on that figure :) ). If I'm even close, then about 30K will be V6.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, ok thanks for the info!

Looks like I definitely need to secure one and let my dealer know - even if it requires a deposit.

I belive the 4Runner comment was because even Toyota realizes that with the decision to include V6 in the Rav, they may be seriously undercutting their own sales of their other higher end models (i.e. Highlander/4Runner). So they want people who "really" want a V6 to consider those 2 more expensive options since they will have a harder time finding a 6 in a Rav, something more affordable. And Im sure youd be surprised how many people dont want to or simply wont wait for a car, but instead take whatever is on the lot (i.e. impulse shopping etc.)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mensajero said:
I heard that is was going to be available in February. But only with
A/T. No 5 Speed, no where. :shock: I guess the 265 HP will be lazy at first, once it hits 3,500 RPM it starts to make power. A stick is out of the question because you know the potential this RAV4 V6 will have.
why an V6 engine wouldnt have power below 3,500 rpm?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Recently I've driven a Toyota Corolla XRS with an auto transmission. For me, it was kind of lazy from a dead start. After about 2,900 it started to pickup and move. These cars are 164 HP, but they lack some low end torque. After they pickup, they move quite well. Remember, I live in the mountains region of PR. Where torque is needed.

I guess the RAV4 will be some what equal in this respect. Now, if they install a 5 speed, that is another story. But looks like they aren't going to happen at least for 2006. I guess the best person to ask is Kelly.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Nah, the high-revving engine in the XRS is not what the RAV4's V6 is going to be like. People want low-end torque in a truck. For anyone who wants a V6, I'd put your name in now if you want to be one of the first to get one. My dealer knew about 6-8 weeks ahead of time what their first allocation of 4-cylinders was going to be, so if they don't already know about V6 models, they should soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actually the auto in the V-6 is a 5 speed. This vehicle will have prodigous power in all of its powerband, and since the Auto has 5 speeds it will be able to take advantage of that power much more efficiently.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Japanese domestic version of latest RAV4 has 7-speed Super CVT-i auto transmission, I am sure it'll reach the US eventually.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mensajero said:
Recently I've driven a Toyota Corolla XRS with an auto transmission. For me, it was kind of lazy from a dead start. After about 2,900 it started to pickup and move. These cars are 164 HP, but they lack some low end torque. After they pickup, they move quite well. Remember, I live in the mountains region of PR. Where torque is needed.

I guess the RAV4 will be some what equal in this respect. Now, if they install a 5 speed, that is another story. But looks like they aren't going to happen at least for 2006. I guess the best person to ask is Kelly.
First of all, this is an V6 thread. It is GR series V6 engine that develops 90% of torque from low 1,800-1,900 rpm.

You are comparing 2zz 4 cyl engine with it, not only 4cly but high revving 4cly engine with variable lift, and high rpm head.

2.4l cyl should be better than 1.8 in Corolla due to more torque down below, but obviously it is not an fast car. Thats why V6 is there...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, back on topic.

Just hung up with my saleman and he said they should have a demo in late Feb, with the actual cars arriving early March.

A little longer than I was hoping, but whatever. I believe Im putting a deposit down this weekend to secure my place in line (as he said there were a few people already, but then again thats probably just a sales tactic to get my deposit).

·
Registered
654 Posts
jkat said:
I believe Im putting a deposit down this weekend to secure my place in line (as he said there were a few people already, but then again thats probably just a sales tactic to get my deposit).
Jason, did the dealer quote you a price yet, and if so, will you be willing to share what it is? I'm waiting to hear back from a dealer on a quote for the V6. He's the only one so far that's willing to even talk about price at this point.

End of Feb! <sigh> Guess I'll have to wait a little longer. Hope my car holds out that long.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im actually outside of Philly, in the burbs. My dealership is Thompson Toyota in Doylestown.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts