Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on my 30K-mile service appointment, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I should have looked at/serviced beyond what is recommended in the Service Manual? Thanks...

·
Registered
269 Posts
The 30k mile on my Lexus also included a brake fluid flush for $170. I usually wouldn't think it is needed but I did it but every 30k miles seem excessive. But then again so is a ABS pump for brakes.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
870 Posts
At least a brake fluid test. They should have a tester to check for water content in the brake fluid. No need to change if normal before about 2 years.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New gas tank?
No way. I'm not letting them touch or replace anything related to the fill-up issue until there's an official TSB/recall and others have gone through the process and some time has passed with no repeat or newly reported problems.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Unless you're totally helpless, I recommend changing the cabin air filter yourself, if it even needs it, you can buy aftermarket filters that are as good or better than OEM that cost less or get OEM filters for less than most dealers charge, same goes for the engine air filter as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a follow up Re: the cabin air filter. I did end up changing it for the first time at the 30K-mile service, the first time it's on the list to be changed (they mention it in the 15K service with a Note: "Driving in heavy traffic, on dirt roads or in urban, dusty or desert areas may shorten the life of the cabin air filter. Replacement may be needed if you notice reduced air flow from the air conditioner and heater or if the windows fog easily when you use the “Fresh” mode. Consult your dealer if any of these conditions occur.").

This may be old-hat for some, but after seeing what it looked like after 30K, I think I'll be changing mine every 5-10K from here on out:

And for anyone curious, it's a 90-second-to-2-minute job to do it yourself. I think the dealer charges ~$50 for it; I got the filter off Amazon for ~$14.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just a follow up Re: the cabin air filter. I did end up changing it for the first time at the 30K-mile service, the first time it's on the list to be changed (they mention it in the 15K service with a Note: "Driving in heavy traffic, on dirt roads or in urban, dusty or desert areas may shorten the life of the cabin air filter. Replacement may be needed if you notice reduced air flow from the air conditioner and heater or if the windows fog easily when you use the “Fresh” mode. Consult your dealer if any of these conditions occur.").

This may be old-hat for some, but after seeing what it looked like after 30K, I think I'll be changing mine every 5-10K from here on out:
View attachment 149740

And for anyone curious, it's a 90-second-to-2-minute job to do it yourself. I think the dealer charges ~$50 for it; I got the filter off Amazon for ~$14.
What's "fresh mode?"

·
Registered
251 Posts

View attachment 149740

Just some feedback, my car has 8200km (3 months old), I just looked at my cabin filter last night while vacuuming and it wasn't as dark as yours but it was gray nonetheless which I'm assuming is the charcoal infused into the OEM filter.

I'd say 20k-30k is reasonable for a cabin filter change, winter-summer-winter, especially for those with sensitivities and want clean air in the car.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
It's not a bad idea to check it more frequently, rodents will enter the vehicle through the HVAC system and a destroyed cabin filter is usually the first obvious evidence of that happening, doesn't hurt to check it regularly since it's so easy to do.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll definitely check more often. Didn't know the OEM had charcoal in it...

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is why I use a K & N washable cabin filter as it will save a lot of money long term as I tend to keep a car 10 + years. The cabin filters are not oiled like their air box filters.

View attachment 149740

·
Registered
412 Posts
Agreed. Especially if you live in a humid place. I have the brake fluid changed in Florida every few years.

At least a brake fluid test. They should have a tester to check for water content in the brake fluid. No need to change if normal before about 2 years.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in a very dry climate, so I'm not too worried about the brake fluid then.

I checked Toyota Parts Center Online, and it looks like they offer 3 different cabin filters for the 2019 Rav4H, two of which claim to have charcoal and one that doesn't. Interestingly, the cheapest one at $21.20 claims to have charcoal, the mid-level one at $36.20 doesn't, and the most expensive one at $51.90 does.

If my OEM one was one with the charcoal, it did a terrible job at filtering out the musty odor smell from the A/C, even when I followed the Owner's Manual and set the A/C to outside air/non-recirc mode before shutting the vehicle off. It will be interesting to see how these new, non-charcoal ones perform. If it's roughly the same, then I see no point in shelling out more money for Charcoal...

·
Registered
478 Posts
I live in a very dry climate, so I'm not too worried about the brake fluid then.

I checked Toyota Parts Center Online, and it looks like they offer 3 different cabin filters for the 2019 Rav4H, two of which claim to have charcoal and one that doesn't. Interestingly, the cheapest one at $21.20 claims to have charcoal, the mid-level one at $36.20 doesn't, and the most expensive one at $51.90 does.

If my OEM one was one with the charcoal, it did a terrible job at filtering out the musty odor smell from the A/C, even when I followed the Owner's Manual and set the A/C to outside air/non-recirc mode before shutting the vehicle off. It will be interesting to see how these new, non-charcoal ones perform. If it's roughly the same, then I see no point in shelling out more money for Charcoal...
I live in a dry climate also. The brake fluid still checks out, with a moisture tester, as good after 10 years, 98,000 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts