Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Rav-4 and had a remote start installed, and didn't realize they had to put one of my transponder keys INSIDE the dash, so I only have 1 key now.

I'd like to have an extra made that doesn't need to include keyless entry or anything.

The dealer wants $160 for the key, and said the labor to program it is an additional $98 per hour, which is totally ridiculous. I called one car locksmith in my area and they said they don't do 2015's, I'm guessing because they don't have the correct software or something yet.

Is that going to be the case everywhere? Anyone had a '15 made somewhere besides the dealership?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
Just go to Home Depot or Lowe's, and have them cut a regular Toyota key off of yours. It will be a plain key; it will unlock the door, and should still start the car since you have a transponder chip already installed in the steering column.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just go to Home Depot or Lowe's, and have them cut a regular Toyota key off of yours. It will be a plain key; it will unlock the door, and should still start the car since you have a transponder chip already installed in the steering column.
Some won't do this and claim some liability BS that if you use a non-coded key that it will ruin your ignition system.

·
Registered
97 Posts

A proper remote start installation will place the chipped key into a universal bypass module ( Directed 556UW or similar ) and no where near the ignition switch / antenna. This universal bypass module will be "turned on" by a signal from the remote starter controller only during a remote start to send the chip data to the car via the antenna.

Bottom line, a plain metal key will not start the engine. If it does, then the installer removed the chip from the key and glued it to the ignition switch antenna. This improper install would allow a plain key to start the engine and also completely eliminate the ignition immobilizer security system. A big no-no and insurance liability.

In this instance ( transponder chip glued to ignition switch antenna ), trying to start the RAV with the other unmolested ignition key should not work because the antenna is now picking up two transponder chips at the same time.

As mentioned, there are Data style bypass modules available for the Toyota H keys so I would go back to the remote start installer and see how much he would charge to remove the universal bypass module, return your ignition key and install a NoKeyRequired bypass module. I did this on my 2013 RAV4. When I installed the remote starter back in March of 2013, the only choice was a universal bypass. Last month, I removed it and replaced it with an iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass module. Just 3 wires to connect to the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Or you can do like I did. Pick your jaw back up from where you left it when they told you the dealer price, buy a key or two on Ebay, have it cut at the local hardware store for around $3 per key, and only then go back to the dealer to get it programmed. The book labor rate at my dealer was 1/2 hour per key. Right now, you can buy a new key on Ebay for a 2015 model for under $50 and another $45 for the programming. It's still crazy but a lot cheaper.

BTW, you STILL ought to have another spare door key so I'd see about getting a brass key from the hardware store first and just see if it'll start the engine now. Short of asking the person who installed your remote start, it's the easiest way to start out on what could be a road seemingly paved with gold that you paid for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts