Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little pricey....but you can keep factory radio and steering wheel controls and it looks pretty easy to install.
OR is a head unit change out (Crutchfield) preferred and why?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you stuck on the factory look and sound great option.. With Crutchfield ready harness looks like a new better quality head unit would be easier to install and give you better sound!

·
Registered
112 Posts
You could use an android powered radio for the car and buy a dongle from amazon. Total would be around $400-$500. It looks clean and sleek.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I came here to inquire about this very thing! Really looking into getting Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, but I don’t want to lose XM Satellite Radio or steering wheel controls or backup camera. Ballpark, what would it cost me to get a head unit with AA/ACP and keep everything? Is it even possible?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I came here to inquire about this very thing! Really looking into getting Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, but I don’t want to lose XM Satellite Radio or steering wheel controls or backup camera. Ballpark, what would it cost me to get a head unit with AA/ACP and keep everything? Is it even possible?
It possible with iDatalink Maestro but after the cost of the radio, iDatalink Maestro for controls, cables harnesses etc to make everything work your looking at 500-600ish

·
Registered
34 Posts
It possible with iDatalink Maestro but after the cost of the radio, iDatalink Maestro for controls, cables harnesses etc to make everything work your looking at 500-600ish
Cool, thanks. It seems that during my search, the one thing that stuck out with every mod I encountered was that there was SOME compromise being made somewhere that resulted in the loss of a key function I didn’t want to do without. The amount you quoted (ballpark, I understand), while not exactly cheap, seems reasonable to me when compared with the cost of a newer car with AA/ACP and without the compromises. I’ll look into it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am in this same boat. 2017 Limited trying to decide which way to go. I want to maintain all OEM functions but also would like to add the convenience of Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.

I was thinking something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WGN1Y7J

Worried about an off brand/no name brand especially for future support and updates. However this does have wireless CarPlay and Android Auto which is nice..

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am in this same boat. 2017 Limited trying to decide which way to go. I want to maintain all OEM functions but also would like to add the convenience of Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.

I was thinking something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WGN1Y7J

Worried about an off brand/no name brand especially for future support and updates. However this does have wireless CarPlay and Android Auto which is nice..
Check the thread I posted above. Majority of us use that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks, looks like there are few iterations of that model/type of head unit over the years. Looks like the latest is Android 10, with wireless CarPlay + Android Auto and 4GB RAM 64 GB ROM. IPS Screen 1280x720 Resolution. Have you seen any better versions of it?
I haven't really checked. I'm really satisfied with the one I currently own, and its about 2 years old. I had to buy a separate dongle for carplay for an extra $50, but worth the purchase. I have all the capabilities. I drive a Toyota rav4 2017 LE

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't really checked. I'm really satisfied with the one I currently own, and its about 2 years old. I had to buy a separate dongle for carplay for an extra $50, but worth the purchase. I have all the capabilities. I drive a Toyota rav4 2017 LE
I have a 2018 RAV4 Platinum. Not happy I can't receive Messages in car with my iphone. Will a dongle fix that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2018 RAV4 Platinum. Not happy I can't receive Messages in car with my iphone. Will a dongle fix that?
Finally, someone else with a Platinum trim!

Anyway, my main concerns are twofold: one, that I retain all OEM features/functions, and I don't lose the 360 birdseye camera. I'm willing to pay a lot if it means I keep those things. But as I've said before, every option I've looked at (and I mean EVERY) has some compromise somewhere.

Oh yeah, and I DEFINITELY don't want to lose my XM Satellite radio, either!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Finally, someone else with a Platinum trim!

Anyway, my main concerns are twofold: one, that I retain all OEM features/functions, and I don't lose the 360 birdseye camera. I'm willing to pay a lot if it means I keep those things. But as I've said before, every option I've looked at (and I mean EVERY) has some compromise somewhere.

Oh yeah, and I DEFINITELY don't want to lose my XM Satellite radio, either!
I've seen some users with all those functions except for the XM satellite radio.

The one I have currently receives messages and shows them. Does everything the carplay was made for and intended to do. I don't use that car anymore since I upgraded to the latest but after giving it to my parents, they enjoy it and it's seamlessly easy to use

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've seen some users with all those functions except for the XM satellite radio.

The one I have currently receives messages and shows them. Does everything the carplay was made for and intended to do. I don't use that car anymore since I upgraded to the latest but after giving it to my parents, they enjoy it and it's seamlessly easy to use
Sounds good, link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts

I would look through this thread and find the version some have used with bird eye view for your benefit.

The dongle is the one I listed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts