Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a reoccurring issue with my 2020 XSE Hybrids screen and Apple CarPlay. It has only happened when I am using my nav and listening to music via CarPlay. The first time CarPlay just disconnected and would not reconnect. I restarted the car and disconnected my CarPlay... when I reconnected it worked again.
It has now happened 4 times in the past 48 hours and the screen now goes black when this happens. If I turn the radio off it still shows the audio off banner.
The only way I have found to fix is turning the car off and back on.
Anyone having similar issues or have advice? My dealer is clueless!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I randomly had my screen go black on me last week. I was listening to music and running maps when it happened. I just unplugged and replugged in the phone and it seemed to work for me. It might have something to do with apple's newest update because I haven't had that happen before.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
You might try deleting the Entune 3.0 app from your phone if you have it installed, it's not required for phone connectivity, causes more problems than it's worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been having this problem with my 2020 xse as well. I took it to Dublin Toyota in California to have the problem looked at while it's happening, and the stupid service manager got his "master mechanic" just to say you're not supposed to plug your phone into that usb port. Then he said your phone is low on battery (it wasn't). I wanted them to write it up so it would show on my history report but they refused. He said we fixed it by unplugging the cable and now your solution is that usb port is not to be used. man they pissed me off so bad. To sit there and lie to me and i broke out the manual and showed them this is how you access carplay. I wish toyota would hold these dealership accountable.

Anyways back to your original post. Yes i run into this issue all the time. I've diagnosed it to happening when i have navigation and pandora working (or it's one of the triggers to replicate the problem). Play music on pandora and then set a destination on google maps or waze. Then purposely not follow the map guidance so the map alerts you. When the alert comes on, it interrupts the music and it glitches the headunit. From there, your music completely goes dead and give it a minute or two and your screen will go black. the only way to fix this is to turn it off and back on. If you unplug your phone/cable all it does it gets your back to the homescreen of the OEM entertainment but doesn't bring carplay back.

Ive tried to get toyota to look into this, but no luck. Since it's under warranty, i'm thinking about going back to a different toyota dealership, replicate the problem and all they'll do is get a new head unit ordered/installed. I'll then replicate the problem some more and a few things can happen, they can either buy the car back under the lemon law, or they can finally pay attention and try to get an updated fix. Really all it is, is a glitch in the headunit, which toyota contracts with some stereo manufacture to make. They just have to find the glitch in the programming and make a new update. A whole new unit won't be necessary.

That's my .02 cents at this point....i'm getting really frustrated paying over 30k for this car and the simple stereo won't work right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been having this problem with my 2020 xse as well. I took it to Dublin Toyota in California to have the problem looked at while it's happening, and the stupid service manager got his "master mechanic" just to say you're not supposed to plug your phone into that usb port. Then he said your phone is low on battery (it wasn't). I wanted them to write it up so it would show on my history report but they refused. He said we fixed it by unplugging the cable and now your solution is that usb port is not to be used. man they pissed me off so bad. To sit there and lie to me and i broke out the manual and showed them this is how you access carplay. I wish toyota would hold these dealership accountable.

Anyways back to your original post. Yes i run into this issue all the time. I've diagnosed it to happening when i have navigation and pandora working (or it's one of the triggers to replicate the problem). Play music on pandora and then set a destination on google maps or waze. Then purposely not follow the map guidance so the map alerts you. When the alert comes on, it interrupts the music and it glitches the headunit. From there, your music completely goes dead and give it a minute or two and your screen will go black. the only way to fix this is to turn it off and back on. If you unplug your phone/cable all it does it gets your back to the homescreen of the OEM entertainment but doesn't bring carplay back.

Ive tried to get toyota to look into this, but no luck. Since it's under warranty, i'm thinking about going back to a different toyota dealership, replicate the problem and all they'll do is get a new head unit ordered/installed. I'll then replicate the problem some more and a few things can happen, they can either buy the car back under the lemon law, or they can finally pay attention and try to get an updated fix. Really all it is, is a glitch in the headunit, which toyota contracts with some stereo manufacture to make. They just have to find the glitch in the programming and make a new update. A whole new unit won't be necessary.

That's my .02 cents at this point....i'm getting really frustrated paying over 30k for this car and the simple stereo won't work right.
This all makes sense and I think you found how to replicate it! I will show my local dealer next time I bring it in!
Thanks for the research! I haven’t had an issue in months but I also haven’t had to use my navigation!

·
Registered
2020 XSE Silver/Black Hybrid
203 Posts
happens a lot with apple maps and music or maps and talking on the phone, any multi tasking with 2 more sounds seems to upset it and eventually bug out. i need to press and hold the power button to restart the stereo at least 2-3 times a night when working...I am experimenting with the iphone settings with maps and other settings but Toyota needs a new software update to help us out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
happens a lot with apple maps and music or maps and talking on the phone, any multi tasking with 2 more sounds seems to upset it and eventually bug out. i need to press and hold the power button to restart the stereo at least 2-3 times a night when working...I am experimenting with the iphone settings with maps and other settings but Toyota needs a new software update to help us out.
oh that's sometimes new....so mid drive, i wouldn't need to pull over and turn off/on the car anymore? I can just hold the power button and it will reset? I'll try that workaround next time it happens. Learned something new. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same exact problem, took it to my dealership and they said i have to disconnect my phone from Bluetooth, and it’s been happening because i have over 200 phone numbers in my contacts
Which doesn’t make any sense
I’m waiting for a new update

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely you do not have to switch car off and restart Just press the audio on off key for a few seconds It will reboot and the screen will come back on

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
184 Posts
I occasionally have this issue when starting my car with the iPhone already plugged in. The upper 1/5 of the screen is visible but the rest is black. I just unplug the iCrapple and plug it back in which solves the issue.

I’m using the lighting cable that came in the box with the phone.

Toyota problem? Apple problem? Lack of Tuesday Tacos? 🌮 Who knows?

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited and 2016 Hybrid Limited
2 Posts
I have been having these problems (multiple audio sources eventually crash CarPlay) since I got the 2020 in late February. Have been working with both Toyota and Apple (phone is iPhone 11 Pro), and have mentioned this thread.

Apple has replaced phone, and I have tried multiple Apple cables, etc. Still having problem.

Just learned yesterday from Toyota that there is a firmware update to in-car audio (version 1256?) that has to be installed by the dealer. Am taking car to dealer on Friday to get it installed. Not sure if it will fix the issue, but hoping that it will.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Premium
5 Posts
I have been having these problems (multiple audio sources eventually crash CarPlay) since I got the 2020 in late February. Have been working with both Toyota and Apple (phone is iPhone 11 Pro), and have mentioned this thread.

Apple has replaced phone, and I have tried multiple Apple cables, etc. Still having problem.

Just learned yesterday from Toyota that there is a firmware update to in-car audio (version 1256?) that has to be installed by the dealer. Am taking car to dealer on Friday to get it installed. Not sure if it will fix the issue, but hoping that it will.
Were you able to get the update from the dealer? Any luck with it fixing the issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having a reoccurring issue with my 2020 XSE Hybrids screen and Apple CarPlay. It has only happened when I am using my nav and listening to music via CarPlay. The first time CarPlay just disconnected and would not reconnect. I restarted the car and disconnected my CarPlay... when I reconnected it worked again.
It has now happened 4 times in the past 48 hours and the screen now goes black when this happens. If I turn the radio off it still shows the audio off banner.
The only way I have found to fix is turning the car off and back on.
Anyone having similar issues or have advice? My dealer is clueless!
Wow...Toyota acts like they know nothing about this! Sounds exactly like my 2020 RAV4 Ltd! Have they offered a solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wh
I have the same exact problem, took it to my dealership and they said i have to disconnect my phone from Bluetooth, and it’s been happening because i have over 200 phone numbers in my contacts
Which doesn’t make any sense
I’m waiting for a new update
at a bunch of crap! I’m having zero luck with Livermore Toyota too! I paid $50,000 out the door for my “loaded” RAV and they put a glitchy JBL in it?!

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited and 2016 Hybrid Limited
2 Posts
Were you able to get the update from the dealer? Any luck with it fixing the issue?
I got the firmware upgrade on last Friday. Have done several drives since then using both Apple Maps and Apple Music/Sirius XM App. So far no problems. Need to give it some more time before I can say for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts