Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to my dealership today and told them I was having several issues with my car's stereo. They did some software update but I'm very skeptical it's going to fix anything. A manager told me the same BS about too many contacts being synced via bluetooth. I showed him that I was only using CarPlay, my phone wasn't even paired with my car over bluetooth. Let's see if i still have these issues after update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to my dealership today and told them I was having several issues with my car's stereo. They did some software update but I'm very skeptical it's going to fix anything. A manager told me the same BS about too many contacts being synced via bluetooth. I showed him that I was only using CarPlay, my phone wasn't even paired with my car over bluetooth. Let's see if i still have these issues after update.

View attachment 155023
Would you mind sharing the latest software version number on your infotainment system? I took my 2020 Hybrid LTD to the dealership today and they told me there are no audio/media updates for my car since it is a 2020 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would you mind sharing the latest software version number on your infotainment system? I took my 2020 Hybrid LTD to the dealership today and they told me there are no audio/media updates for my car since it is a 2020 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks a lot for your reply. My audio firmware number is 1190 and the dealership said there are no updates. Sigh. I am assuming the firmware numbers are uniform across all Rav4 trims?
I’m not sure if that the case but mine is Adventure with JBL, just in case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the firmware upgrade on last Friday. Have done several drives since then using both Apple Maps and Apple Music/Sirius XM App. So far no problems. Need to give it some more time before I can say for sure.
Stuart, I wanted to double check that you had your audio firmware updated for the 2020 Hybrid Limited? Do you mind sharing the firmware number you are seeing on your infotainment system, please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum after finding this thread. We bought a 2020 XSE Hybrid back in February. Two days after purchasing it, the same problem shown here started. So I was very happy to see that you all were able to recreate the issue. I just took it for a drive with my iPhone SE and was able to crash the system.

The dealer is only saying that they are aware of issues with Carplay dating back to 2017. I asked about getting the firmware updated to 2156 (ours is on 1190). They said they were unable to check which version is available.

Do you know when 2156 was released? Is it a Dealer only update? Toyota's Download page says there are no updates available.

Thanks again to you all for the legwork here. It's helped a lot. I'm going to share it with dealer to show that many people are having the exact same issue.

- Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

I went to the dealer 4 days ago citing carplay issues and they said no audio software updates were available, and that my 2020 hybrid LTD was up-to-date. They gave me some bullshit advice about using the correct cable and using Apple Maps instead of Google Maps. Then I called Toyota (the multimedia department) and explained my issues with Carplay. My issues were consistent with other complaints they have had (so they are aware of our Carplay woes). They asked me to check a bunch of version numbers on my software system and then said they have no idea why the Service technician said an audio software update was not available since one was released at the end of 2019. They opened a case with my dealer and sent them step-by-step instructions on how to install the audio software upgrade.

Anyway, here are the details that may save you time (you can ask your dealership to look up this info, although mine denied an update was available until Toyota corporate created a case which they couldn't ignore):

T-SB-0146-19
Name: Audio Head Unit Software Update.

Armed with this info and the open case created by Toyota, I went to the dealer and lo and behold, the technician was now magically able to find the update and install it. Since the update my Carplay troubles have not recurred (it's only been 2 days though). Toyota said they are working with Apple to iron out some of the Carplay issues and hope that more fixes will be rolled out on Apple's end with iOS 14. They also said that any app that is available to you on Carplay should function without glitches, even if the app is not native to Apple. So any talk about using Apple over Google map is essentially nonsense according to Toyota corporate.

The new Audio Software version number on my head unit now says 1256. It was 1191 before.

Based on this experience, my advice is that before you go to generally incompetent dealers, call Toyota corporate and get all the information (like numbers and such) that will assist a service technician in locating the software updates. The dealers in the Chicago area seem to generally be incompetent (and I have tried 4 different dealerships).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

I went to the dealer 4 days ago citing carplay issues and they said no audio software updates were available, and that my 2020 hybrid LTD was up-to-date. They gave me some bullshit advice about using the correct cable and using Apple Maps instead of Google Maps. Then I called Toyota (the multimedia department) and explained my issues with Carplay. My issues were consistent with other complaints they have had (so they are aware of our Carplay woes). They asked me to check a bunch of version numbers on my software system and then said they have no idea why the Service technician said an audio software update was not available since one was released at the end of 2019. They opened a case with my dealer and sent them step-by-step instructions on how to install the audio software upgrade.

Anyway, here are the details that may save you time (you can ask your dealership to look up this info, although mine denied an update was available until Toyota corporate created a case which they couldn't ignore):

T-SB-0146-19

Armed with this info and the open case created by Toyota, I went to the dealer and lo and behold, the technician was now magically able to find the update and install it. Since the update my Carplay troubles have not recurred (it's only been 2 days though). Toyota said they are working with Apple to iron out some of the Carplay issues and hope that more fixes will be rolled out on Apple's end with iOS 14. They also said that any app that is available to you on Carplay should function without glitches, even if the app is not native to Apple. So any talk about using Apple over Google map is essentially nonsense according to Toyota corporate.

The new Audio Software version number on my head unit now says 1256. It was 1191 before.

Based on this experience, my advice is that before you go to generally incompetent dealers, call Toyota corporate and get all the information (like numbers and such) that will assist a service technician in locating the software updates. The dealers in the Chicago area seem to generally be incompetent (and I have tried 4 different dealerships).

Hope this helps!
P.S. I don't know if the service advisory T-SB above is specific to the 2020 Rav4 Hybrid Ltd trim. Based on your trim you may have a different number. And, to answer Mike's question, this is indeed a dealer only update. This does not show up as a software update you can download on your infotainment system on your own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
P.S. I don't know if the service advisory T-SB above is specific to the 2020 Rav4 Hybrid Ltd trim. Based on your trim you may have a different number. And, to answer Mike's question, this is indeed a dealer only update. This does not show up as a software update you can download on your infotainment system on your own.

Thank you for this! This will be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We had this happen yesterday on our brand new XSE on our way home. I had CarPlay going with the map and had SiriusXM playing. All of a sudden the auto dropped and the screen went blank. Pressing the menu button showed a “Starting” screen and the Continue button needed to be pressed several times to be acknowledged. Finally after that the audio came back on and I was able to go back into CarPlay. I sure hope this won’t be a reoccurrence.

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited and 2016 Hybrid Limited
3 Posts
I got the firmware upgrade on last Friday. Have done several drives since then using both Apple Maps and Apple Music/Sirius XM App. So far no problems. Need to give it some more time before I can say for sure.
I have not had any issues since getting the update from the dealer for my 2020 RAV 4 Hybrid Limited. Sounds like this has been much more difficult to get done than it should be and I’m surprised how long it took to get resolved. I worked with Toyota Customer Service before taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not had any issues since getting the update from the dealer for my 2020 RAV 4 Hybrid Limited. Sounds like this has been much more difficult to get done than it should be.
I have not had any issues as well, and it has been at least 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not had any issues as well, and it has been at least 3 weeks now.
Thanks to those of you who blazed this trail. I got my RAV4 Hybrid Limited 10 days ago and this problem has occurred every single day using Waze and Spotify (I have also tried Apple Music with Apple Maps--to keep it in the family--and had the same problem). I am going to have my Dealer's service department get the Service Bulletin and hopefully get the updates installed. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you guys for figuring this out, I just bought a 2020 a week ago and I was getting super frustrated. I will take back and ask for the update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

T-SB-0146-19

Hope this helps!
Did you have to pay for this update? I’m told that I would have to pay $180 for the service tech to preform the update! This is BS since my 2919 Hybrid has been doing this since I bought it.

·
Registered
19 RAV4 XLE-P, 16 Civic ex-t coupe, 00 Trans Am Convertible, 98 Dakota R/T
3 Posts
Does anyone know if the update for the audio system is done with a usb stick? I fixed a CarPlay issue on my Honda by buying the usb stick from a dealer and updating the head unit myself. If I could, I would rather do that than sit in a dealership.
If someone has had the update done, maybe there’s a part number on the invoice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes it's done via usb through the same port that you plug in your cable for carplay. the tricky part is finding the software. The link below will show the TSB and step by step, you just have to find a way to get a copy of the file. But also why buy it when the car is under warranty and the dealership will update it for free.

i am happy to report that i got the update done about 2 weeks ago and no issues since.

·
Registered
19 RAV4 XLE-P, 16 Civic ex-t coupe, 00 Trans Am Convertible, 98 Dakota R/T
3 Posts
Thanks for the info! I’d buy it because I’d rather part with $40 than spend a minute of my weekend in a dealership.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
35 Posts
Does it mean I will see tire pressures after installing tpms on my tires?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts