Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got around to starting the wrap on my 99 RAV4 4 door with Mossy Oak Obsession except for the lower plastic cladding, fender flares, and bumpers.

1) First job was removing all the lower cladding, fender flares, lights, windshield wiper arms, wiper nozzles, vent cover, spare tire mount, snorkel, and bumper covers. She looks naked!
2) On the back door I removed the door handle with trim, and the matching trim piece on the other side. I'm taking everything off so that I can get the vinyl wrap under the trim/cladding rather than cutting it off abutting anything and to make application much easier.
3) Next was to thoroughly clean her with dawn dish detergent (I used Dawn dish detergent so that it removes grease, oil, and most everything else then I used oil and wax remover over the whole body and cladding. I will reapply the wax and oil remover to each section as I move along, I don't want any oily fingerprints causing any issues.
4) I started at the rear door, removed the interior trim, and wiper motor then I lightly sanded the door jam and exposed parts of the door.
5) Continuing, I taped around the area to be painted to keep overspray down.
6) I primed and painted the sanded areas, final color was satin black.
7) I painted the lower cladding with black trim & bumper paint.
8) I took the gas cap door off to do some corrosion control, and when I get to it, prepare, prime and paint the inside area and back of the door satin black

Note: The kit gives you enough vinyl to wrap the body, cladding, and roof pillars and edges. By painting the cladding I'm saving enough to do the rest of the roof. Also, I'm not covering the roof rack mounting area.

I'm waiting for the paint to thoroughly dry so that I can apply the first of the vinyl on the back door in the morning.

As I complete an area I'm installing some upgrades
1) A rearview camera just above my Class III trailer hitch
2) A CB antenna mount on the back door
3) A bicycle rack that mounts on the spare tire mount
4) Running 2 sets of speaker wires into the back door incase I decide to install a couple of bass speaker in there latter.
5) A XM-Radio shark fin antenna on the roof
6) A 50w solar panel on the roof
7) A roof rack

Pictures will be added tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've had a bit of weather and high humidity which has delayed my project. I did get the rear hatch complete and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the prep work complete on the driver's side and get the wrap on and reinstall everything on that side.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it on the back door panel completed a few days ago and the driver's side completed today. It is not a fun thing and requires much patience which I am now completely out of. Between air bubbles, wrinkles, and having to stretch it to make that curve at the back panel, it is definite challenge. I really do like the look of it, but I would have loved the look if the pattern didn't repeat quite so often.

Tomorrow hoping to have the hood and roof complete. I also want to get the passenger side door jambs and door edges painted satin black, and remove the passenger side door handles and mirror in preparation for installing the final bit of wrap there on Friday.

Removing and reinstalling door handles is not, I repeat not way up there on my fun to do list. Well at least everything in the door is lubed up now.

I still have to paint the front bumper and side kick panels, hopefully I'll get to that tomorrow as well.

I'm also putting sound deadening material inside the door panels against the outside sheet metal and under the door skins.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can't you carefully cut slits in the material for the door handles and fit the overlay over and around them, maybe with the aid of a heat gun?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the door handles and all add ons to the body and went under them to prevent peeling and shrinking.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did use a heat gun where I need to stretch the material, like where it wraps around the the rear quarter panel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm beginning to remove the woodgrain plastic sheet on my Wagoneer, man alive is that stuff tough, you'd think that it would be easily removed since it's been on the truck now for 38 years, but nope, it does NOT want to come off, it's going to be a tedious process. Be sure to post some pics of your RAV4 when it's done.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm beginning to remove the woodgrain plastic sheet on my Wagoneer, man alive is that stuff tough, you'd think that it would be easily removed since it's been on the truck now for 38 years, but nope, it does NOT want to come off, it's going to be a tedious process. Be sure to post some pics of your RAV4 when it's done.
I'm sure I really don't need to tell you that a heat gun and goo be gone is your friend when removing that kind of stuff.

Pics coming soon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Haha. Yeah, you're right, the heat gun is invaluable, I bought the Harbor Freight cheapo, $7-8, a few years ago. I've used the hell outta that thing and it hasn't given me any trouble yet, thought I'd mention that because heat guns can be expensive. I've used Goof Off on the Wagoneer with disappointing results, I'll look for the brand you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Some in progress pics from this morning

Pictures shows in progress photo of installing the Mossy Oak Obsidian vinyl wrap. The snorkel is not full mounted, it was in-place to check the fit. The side moulding, fender flares, and bumper covers are off to allow the wrap to run under them. All the plastic bits will be painted with black trim paint. I discovered some rust that had to be eliminated on the fenders which was hidden under the fender flares. Have you checked under yours?

(¡Ay, Caramba! RAV4.1 Picture shows in progress photo of installing the Mossy Oak Obsidian vinyl wrap. The snorkel is not fully mounted, it was in-pla)

(¡Ay, Caramba! RAV4.1 Picture shows in progress photo of installing the Mossy Oak Obsidian vinyl wrap. The snorkel is not fully mounted yet, it was in-)

I have also installed the hood wrap, I'll add more photos tomorrow hopefully showing a lot more progress.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yesterday I wrapped the hood and today the passenger side door jambs and edges were prepped, painted, and the front fender wrapped. I repaired rust issues on the passenger side rear quarter panel.

I think I have two days work left to complete the wrap.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm wrapping everything that is blue, repairing everything along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The passenger rear quarter panel and the passenger front pillar and roofline are knocked out, leaving the roof and the two rear pillars, which should be finished tomorrow. Then it's reassembly time for... well everything.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Neighbor mowing stirring up dust, then wind, rain, and then finding that the clearcoat on the roof was badly blistered and had to be sanded off delaying my start. With all that, I still managed to finish the roof, it took over 5 hours working a 1/2" or so on one side and then going to the other... my helper was a no-show. Two people working together could probably knock it out in a couple of hours.

I am beat, hopefully I can knock out the rear pillars and a few small items tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The vinyl wrap is finally finished, I got all the vinyl cladding/fender flares/mud flaps painted satin black, and started putting it back on. She is looking great, I'll be finished tomorrow reassembling all of it.

I was delayed having to take family to doctor appointments all over south Florida the past couple of days but I'm back at it.

I also broke my windshield washer reservoir when I was wrapping the hood, the new one came in and I installed it.

I found something else I've been looking for, a set of black roof rails and crossbars for only $50.00, yay. They are going to look awesome and unique on a RAV4.1, the installation will be a new thread.

I'll have new photos tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was working on "Carrie" modifying the front bumper skin so that my upper brush guard mounts are coming off the "frame" rather than that lightweight bar that runs above the bumper, when a cut my left hand pretty good (not going in for stitches). So it set me back a little, hopefully tomorrow I can work on her and finish getting the front end back together.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The exterior is almost complete, life events and weather have been getting in the way. The front end is now complete, for that matter all of the exterior with the exception of my roof rails, solar panel, and xm-radio fin antenna is finished. I cannot do those until I finish several other projects.

I took pictures but something was wrong with the camera and they were all blurred, I'll take new ones soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had this idea of doing red brushed metal wrap and painting every plastic part in black and also adding black rims and lift kit. But that takes so much time and I also would need a second car for day to day driving. One day I will do it.

Your rav is awesome mate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts