Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I'm looking at local ads for used wheels/tires for the winter, and see a few that say the wheels are 16 x 6.5, and they have tires on them that are 215/70R16. But one set, for example, says they came off of a Subaru, so I'm wondering if they'll work.

Just because the wheel and tire sizes match up, does that mean the wheels would go on my RAV4? Or is there more to it than just that?

Edit: I neglected to mention - I have a Base model with OEM 16" steel wheels now, so I got the measurements listed above by looking in my owners' manual, and am assuming they're what I'm looking for in a set of winter wheels too.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
you have 3 things that you have to check for the rims

the bolt patern ( ie 5*100 / 5*114 ... )
the center bore (hole in the center needs to be bigger than the hub ends)
the offset needs to be close or else you might rub on the fender when turning, or put more wear on the wheel bearings

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Subi Wheels will NOT work on your RAV. I had a extra set of subi wheels that I tried to fit bolt pattern is off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the swift responses. I do have a 2012 model with 6.5" wide rims.

So, does that mean I have to be picky about wheels and only get 6.5" wide ones? Or would the 7" work as well? Would the same tires go on the same wheels if the only difference was the .5" difference in width?

All different. You need to get some off a RAV4
Toyota RAV4 - Specs of wheel sizes, tires, PCD, Offset and Rims - Wheel-Size.com

Select the year of your RAV4, then "USDM", (United States Domestic Market).

The only year of your vintage that shows a 6.5" wide rim, (6.5Jx16 ET39), is 2012. All the other years are 7Jx16 ET40, (or ET39 for 2012).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mistake. My 2012 RAV4 Base has 17" x 6.5" wheels and 225/65R17 101H tires. I must have looked at the EUDM by mistake.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My snow tires are mounted on 16" steel rims from a first generation Highlander. No issues.

The bolt pattern on your RAV4 is 5x114.3 mm (aka 5x4.5 in). Many manufacturers (Nissan, Honda, Ford, Toyota, others) use the same pattern on a variety of vehicles. See 5x114.3 - Bolt pattern - Wheel-Size.com for a list of vehicles that might have compatible wheels. Offset should be close, but does not need to be exact.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Subi Wheels will NOT work on your RAV. I had a extra set of subi wheels that I tried to fit bolt pattern is off.
depends on the subi wheels, newer (2013+) Outback wheels are 5*114, older ones are 5*100... you have to check and can't take for granted that they will or won't fit...

Reactions: MrPulldown

·
Registered
189 Posts
you have 3 things that you have to check for the rims

the bolt patern ( ie 5*100 / 5*114 ... )
the center bore (hole in the center needs to be bigger than the hub ends)
the offset needs to be close or else you might rub on the fender when turning, or put more wear on the wheel bearings
this is true.

usually it is best to fit a sample of the rim that you would like to install. from
that fitting, you can confirm the bolt pattern, centre hub size (either hub centric
or lug centric or if you need to use a spacer), oversize tire than the specs (yeah, front tires might catch the fenders and mud guards when maneuvering), and also you will know if the the rim will hit the caliper assembly.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
5x114 is a very popular size so you will have many options...and the rav4 center bore is pretty small so most wheels should fit that just fine...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
5x114 is a very popular size so you will have many options...and the rav4 center bore is pretty small so most wheels should fit that just fine...
<br />
<br />
I found a set of 16s off of a 1999 RAV4 that the owner bought and put on last season. From everything I can tell on wheel-size.com, they should fit my 2012 too, but the THD and CB numbers are missing from the website for 1999.<br />
<br />
Anyone know that they wouldn't work?

The seller wrote:

Arctic Claw 215/70/R16 Winter X5I M+S studded winter tires for sale on black 'Steelies" rims. 5x114.3 (5x4.5) bolt pattern, 60.1 bore on rims. Tires only run half season last year, low mileage, still have rubber niblets on them, tread depth 3/8".

Came off 1999 Toyota RAV4 (sold car), fits 1998-2000 RAV4 and will fit other makes/models depending on bore/bolt pattern.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
depends on the subi wheels, newer (2013+) Outback wheels are 5*114, older ones are 5*100... you have to check and can't take for granted that they will or won't fit...
I should have made that distinction. I was not aware that subi went to 5x114. Older Subi wheels (ones that you will most likely find for sale used), ar 5x 100 and will not fit on the RAV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for the information. I ended up finding some lightly used steels and Arctic Claw tires that came off of a RAV4. They had been purchased last year and put on an old 1999 RAV4.

The seller turned me onto this website which contains much of the same info that Wheel-Size.com does, but also shows you vehicles that match with the click of a button. Hope it's helpful!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts