Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to buy a 2020 hybrid. Are some people not experiencing this issue? Or is it pretty much every hybrid that comes off the production line? By the looks of it from reading, Toyota is trying to figure out a solution and some people have had some parts replaced and it has helped. I had a 2017 Prius that didn’t have any refueling issue, but maybe it had a different gas tank design

I’m wondering if I should avoid the hybrid model, even though that’s the one I really want to buy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 19 does.

I think it’s more about the fuel gauge sending unit not calibrated correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m about to buy a 2020 hybrid. Are some people not experiencing this issue? Or is it pretty much every hybrid that comes off the production line? By the looks of it from reading, Toyota is trying to figure out a solution and some people have had some parts replaced and it has helped. I had a 2017 Prius that didn’t have any refueling issue, but maybe it had a different gas tank design

I’m wondering if I should avoid the hybrid model, even though that’s the one I really want to buy.
from what I gather only about 5%-10% of owners complain about it. The vast majority has no issues with refueling.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It’s impossible to know how many do or don’t but it’s pretty clear that not all hybrids have this problem. I started a thread asking owners to report if they DON’T have the problem and got a few respondents.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s impossible to know how many do or don’t but it’s pretty clear that not all hybrids have this problem. I started a thread asking owners to report if they DON’T have the problem and got a few respondents.
Awesome, thanks! I’ll look at that thread too. This is very helpful information for people who are looking to buy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 XSE... and still waiting for my first fill up. These things get such good gas mileage that it takes a while to have to refuel. I'll report once I fill it up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are numerous threads covering this topic that all say the same thing. Some do, some don’t. Mine doesn’t.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mine does NOT have the issue. With the fuel light on, I can fill about 46-48L of fuel. Fastest speed on the nozzle, I let it click than round it up to the dollar.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Only filled up once so far and got 48 litres in the tank with no real issues. Obviously I had to slow down to top it off to maximum but not a problem.
If you had to slow it down to fill it up then yes you too have the problem. Whether you feel that is acceptable or not is up to you but you should be full on first click (assuming pump is working correctly) like every other car that I've owned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you had to slow it down to fill it up then yes you too have the problem. Whether you feel that is acceptable or not is up to you but you should be full on first click (assuming pump is working correctly) like every other car that I've owned.
I think I have had to slow down on every car I have ever owned to top off to maximum. I'm not talking a huge quantity here and its not an inconvenience. Probably down to my OCD to try and squeeze every last kilometre out of the tank :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why did you feel the need to slow down to top it off?
See my other answer, I've only filled up once and I don't think it was a big deal. Maybe the last 1.5 or 2 litres. I'll pay more attention when I fill up next time and see how much it actually is.

The one time I filled up I put 47.5 Litres in and it was full to the neck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I decided to fuel up early just to feed my curiosity... my needle was at the tick mark just above the half line. I went to a Mobil, put the nozzle in, and pressed the fuel handle all the way. It filled up to a little over 5 gallons and clicked off. I turned on the car and the needle was way past the full mark, and DTE was sitting at about 560 miles. So far, it doesn't seem like my 2020 XSE has the fuel filling problem... at least not yet. I feel slightly relieved.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think it's worth noting there are two different (possibly related?) problems. The most obvious problem is that the pump turns off while the gauge is only at 1/2 or 3/4 tank. Most people will notice when this happens, you just look at the gauge as you drive off. This variant is probably more problematic, as it could prompt people to overfill their tanks and damage some internal stuff.

The second is more subtle: the gauge reads as full after filling, but you put in much less gas than expected. Usually about 9 or 10 gallons from empty. This problem would be very easy to miss unless you know how much is supposed to fit in the tank (about 12.3 gallons if you fill when the low fuel light comes on). I suspect the majority of people that have this problem don't know it, they just assume their tank is smaller and smile at just how little it costs at each fill up. It also means that some people who might report they aren't having a problem really are (but the vehicle behaves just fine, so they don't care).

·
Registered
25 Posts
12.3 US Gallons
10.24 Imperial Gallons
46.5 Litres

I thought it was officially a 50 Litre tank? I've just checked my one and only receipt and put 46.8 Litres in which was right to the top. Car was showing around 50 KM DTE which is about 2.6 Litres in my case.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The US owner's manual says it's "14.5 gal. (55 L, 12.1 Imp.gal.)" and that the low fuel light "Indicates that remaining fuel is approximately 2.2 gal. (8.3 L, 1.8 Imp. gal.) or less." Therefore, when the light comes on you should expect to be able to fill 12.3 gal/46.7 L/10.3 Imp gal. In my experience, DTE seems to have some other opinion on what "empty" means, about 30 miles/50 km after the light comes on, which means there should still be something like 1.5 gal/5.5 L/1.2 Imp gal. left in the tank (not exactly empty, but close enough that you should find a gas station soon).

In my case, though, it's acting as either it's designed for he light to come on with a much larger reserve, or as if the tank is much smaller than claimed, or possibly it could be the same problem that others are having (the tank won't fill all the way) ... but the gauge happens to be calibrated such that it still reads full.

·
Registered
395 Posts
So I decided to fuel up early just to feed my curiosity... my needle was at the tick mark just above the half line. I went to a Mobil, put the nozzle in, and pressed the fuel handle all the way. It filled up to a little over 5 gallons and clicked off. I turned on the car and the needle was way past the full mark, and DTE was sitting at about 560 miles. So far, it doesn't seem like my 2020 XSE has the fuel filling problem... at least not yet. I feel slightly relieved.
I followed this forum before purchasing our 2019 XSE for my bride of 25 years! And have been paranoid OCD about fueling the car! We now have 5500 miles on it. My wife has only filled it once. I’ve been doing the filling. My experience with our XSE Is when the needle is on E I have always been able to fill about 12-12.5 gallons. And I can say with confidence the reserve of 2.2 is there at that point. Even though the owners manual says when the light comes on. I’ve also filled at or near 1/2 tank and just like yours about 5 gallons. The needle is always well above F after filling first click. Some will say that’s a problem? Some will say it’s a conservative fuel gauge? Some don’t care or don’t pay attention? In my opinion with our XSE it’s not a problem, it’s just a car.. and every one I’ve owned I ran well past empty to test the bottom of the tank. Hell...my 1988 crown Vic fuel light comes on and I can only fill 12 gallons!!! Stated Tank capacity is 20 gallons!!
Super nice car! You made a good choice enjoy it!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The US owner's manual says it's "14.5 gal. (55 L, 12.1 Imp.gal.)" and that the low fuel light "Indicates that remaining fuel is approximately 2.2 gal. (8.3 L, 1.8 Imp. gal.) or less." Therefore, when the light comes on you should expect to be able to fill 12.3 gal/46.7 L/10.3 Imp gal. In my experience, DTE seems to have some other opinion on what "empty" means, about 30 miles/50 km after the light comes on, which means there should still be something like 1.5 gal/5.5 L/1.2 Imp gal. left in the tank (not exactly empty, but close enough that you should find a gas station soon).

In my case, though, it's acting as either it's designed for he light to come on with a much larger reserve, or as if the tank is much smaller than claimed, or possibly it could be the same problem that others are having (the tank won't fill all the way) ... but the gauge happens to be calibrated such that it still reads full.
I should really make time to read the rest of my manual :) Had it for just over two weeks now and there is still a fair bit of stuff I don't know!

I'll be filling up again soon it looks like I'll be getting around 885 KM per full tank or 550 Miles. Can't complain at that especially given that fuel here is around $5.20 USD per Gallon.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts