Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just came from the Toyota service department. Regarding being able to put only 9 gallons of gas in when the low fuel light comes on... Service guy "probably because of the temperature causing the gas to expand." And on the service report... "NO ADJUSTMENTS FOR THIS ACTION":mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does the pump not turn off when it senses a back pressure? Maybe in some cases its the pumps that are at fault. I filled up again yesterday. The pump clicked off at around 44 litres and I was carefully able to add another 2 litres so that I could physically see the fuel in the neck. There is no way that the pump would have been able to fill it this full. I think there may be an issue with the fuel tank warning light and DTE gauge being over conservative but in my case at least I'm happy that the tank if filling right up.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just came from the Toyota service department. Regarding being able to put only 9 gallons of gas in when the low fuel light comes on... Service guy "probably because of the temperature causing the gas to expand." And on the service report... "NO ADJUSTMENTS FOR THIS ACTION":mad:
That is not acceptable. I would call
The Toyota hotline and get a case number assigned.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's a new one. We've heard the service departments claim that the advertised number includes the unusable "sump" portion of the tank. We've heard them claim that it includes the vapor headroom of the tank. We've heard them claim that the tank has a 4 gallon reserve by design. All of these have been proven wrong by members of this forum, by driving their cars to empty or by digging through the owner's manuals.

But blaming it on the thermal expansion? Wow.

The coefficient of thermal expansion of gasoline is 0.00053 per degree F. So if have some gasoline at its freezing point (-40 F, very approximately) and then measure the same volume at the highest temperature measured on earth (134 F), the fuel would expand 9%. Your 9 gallons would become ... 9.8 gallons. (For comparison, you'd expect to fill about 12.3 gallons when the light comes on.)

Why is it so hard for service departments to believe that the gauge might actually be severely miscalibrated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why is it so hard for service departments to believe that the gauge might actually be severely miscalibrated?
If they admitted that a problem actually exists then they would be admitting to a defect that might be expensive to fix considering the number of people having the problem. So they keep their head in the sand as long as possible. This is my third issue since I bought the car and the third time I heard "we've never hear of anyone else having this problem" which is also BS.

·
Registered
243 Posts
No

2019 XLE hybrid

The fix for me was to slow the flow to 1/3 to 1/2 and pull nozzle out halfway from the which allows air to escape from the tank.

Fills just as fast as wide open because I am not playing the click click game trying to push more fuel into the tank that is now full of air because I was too impatient to ease off on the flow and pull the nozzle about halfway to give the air a chance to escape the tank while filling.

Ignore the DTE. That is so far off you cannot rely on it for fuel consumption.

The surest way to figure out if your tank is accepting the 14.5 gallons of fuel when full is to set you tripmeter to zero when full (not from the fuel gauge but what the gas station pump will permit into the tank.

Drive it and at the second fill up assuming you drive the same routes city and freeway divide miles driven from gallons added to tank.
After 3rd fill ups you should start to see if the actual miles per gallon is consistent.

It only took me two fillips to know my tank is just fine. 39.78 mpg and 39.72 miles per gallon.

I did learn from that exercise the DTE is way off and cannot be trusted.

sure test is record DTE at fill up and set tripmeter to zero.

As you drive add the tripmeter to the DTE and see if it totals the starting DTE

I confirmed the 516 DTE when full was understated by 50 miles after driving 162 miles per the tripmeter.

·
Registered
25 Posts

sure test is record DTE at fill up and set tripmeter to zero.

As you drive add the tripmeter to the DTE and see if it totals the starting DTE

I confirmed the 516 DTE when full was understated by 50 miles after driving 162 miles per the tripmeter.
This is exactly what I believe. I think the DTE is set to be excessively conservative.

Mine shows about 950 KM when filled, When I'm empty I have covered around 870 km. I have filled twice and put in +/- 46 litres to the very brim and averaged 5.3 L/100km

Proof that I could quite happily drive for at least another 100kms

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a late 2019 (ordered in Sept.) XLE. Thought I might have been lucky, but nope. Fill up from the dealership and my own first fill up was fine, but have had the issue since then - taking fewer gallons than expected (~10 after empty light; got 10.5 after topping up when I had only 10 mi DTE) and always registering below "full". I've tried pumping slowly, will try pulling out and letting air in next. Also going to try different gas stations to see if it might be an issue where it works better with some pumps than others (suggested on some of these threads).

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's not just the DTE that's off. It's also the fuel gauge (E doesn't mean empty) and the low fuel light (which seems to come on at about 1/3 tank). I also wonder, on those vehicles that are having a hard time filling to full, if "F" doesn't mean full, either -- 3/4 might actually mean full (and topping off to the F is actually overfilling the tank).

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's not just the DTE that's off. It's also the fuel gauge (E doesn't mean empty) and the low fuel light (which seems to come on at about 1/3 tank). I also wonder, on those vehicles that are having a hard time filling to full, if "F" doesn't mean full, either -- 3/4 might actually mean full (and topping off to the F is actually overfilling the tank).
This is exactly what I believe.
I think everyone is overfilling these cars based on a gauge that is not accurate...
First click, and then maybe top off to the full dollar amount....
I think the SW is programmed incorrectly. ( ie. prius tank size )

·
Registered
235 Posts
DTE is based on some historical average MPG ans one mile of DTE is not necessary one mile of actual travel. If you are getting better gas mileage that historical average then the DTE will not be correct. Likewise the reverse is also possible. I just drove to Florida, 919 miles. First tank average was 31.5 mpg (took nearly 12 gallons at 1/4 tank mark) going on cruise control from Ohio to Virginia border, next tank average was 42 mpg and filled at my normal stop about 1/2 tank and took around 6 gallons. Did a final fill in Georgia Sam's club and it took less than 4 gallons at 3/4 tank. It clicked off before totally filled each time and I had to fill more in but it seemed normal since I do that with my other cars. Actually the RAV4 was able to make the same gas spots as my ES350 with a much larger tank and 30 mpg average which was my threshold of tolerance to any fill issues. My XLE has a gas gauge with only four tick marks and no finer divisions and my DTE seems reliable enough to drive to Florida with MPG varying due to mountains and level states.

On the DTE issue my Lexus and Taurus uses the term cruising range instead of DTE which is significantly different meaning because it doesn't define a end point. Maybe that would help Toyota. I rented a Chrysler 300 to make the same trip years ago and the person before me averaged around 15 mpg and from the GPS showed speeds of traveling 100 mph. I filled the tank and had a cruising range of less than 200 miles. As I drove the cruising range kept going up even though I kept driving. I drove over 350 miles on that tank and had 1/4 tank left at the first fill up. That's how screwed up DTE reading could be but it isn't the cars fault. DTE is driving off the tank level from the same level sensor as the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
I suppose I have it if you define it as not being able to fill up in a full tilt manner as I did with other cars...like my last 30. I mitigate the issue by filling slowly and I never ever get to below a quarter of a tank. It doesn't affect my MPG and I didn't buy the car for its range.

I care enough to have it noted on the two service invoices I've had for rather routine other things. I also had them note that I wasn't requesting them to do any diagnosis or attempt to fix it until Toyota issued a TSB. Why would I go through the risk of them making things worse until many others have tested out the fix? And if they don't issue a fix, then I'll live with it. Heck, I've driven cars that wouldn't go 400 miles between repairs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m about to buy a 2020 hybrid. Are some people not experiencing this issue? Or is it pretty much every hybrid that comes off the production line? By the looks of it from reading, Toyota is trying to figure out a solution and some people have had some parts replaced and it has helped. I had a 2017 Prius that didn’t have any refueling issue, but maybe it had a different gas tank design

I’m wondering if I should avoid the hybrid model, even though that’s the one I really want to buy.
Just bought my 2019 Rav4 Limited Hybrid 6 weeks ago. Same problem. I started noticing at half tank, it would only take 5 gallons. As I write this, I have driven 200 miles since last fill up and the fuel information screen is showing I only have another 190 miles left. My math suggests after a fill up I should get a minimum of 537 miles (14.5 gallon tank x 37mpg). So, I was planning on driving it to at least 500 miles and see where the gauge ends up. I suspect it will start beeping me that my tank is low when I hit 380 miles of driving. Man...seems like an expensive fix for those of us having this problem. Based on the last few tanks, it seems like I only have a 10 gallon tank or the fuel meter is totally screwed up.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
My speculation...

No one has seen the inside of the gas tank. I did slide under the car and see that the routing of the filler hose has a dip in it at the bottom and where it enters the gas tank isn't at the top.

I speculate this dip and the point of the hose's entry into the tank not being at the top of the tank cause back flow at some point when the gas is high enough in the tank. Thus causing the gas pump to react to pressure prematurely and shut off. You can confirm this by sticking your set to flash camera up in front of the back wheel and taking a picture. I did post one here months ago. Or just get on the ground with a flashlight. Or look at the car on a rack or ramps.

This geometry is dictated by two things. One, the suspension and the need to route the filler pipe around it. Two, the marketing need to have a totally flat cargo floor and thus not have the filler pipe intrude on the cargo area. If it did, you could have a whole different geometry.

I see back-flow all the time in storm sewer lines emptying into a lake near me when it has been raining hard for a long time and the lake level gets high enough the storm water coming out of the pipe stops flowing fast enough and where the storm water tries to enter the pipe stops working and we get water on the streets and overflowing catch basins at the start of the pipe.

So in the Rav4's system what I think is happening is essentially a temporary stoppage or slowdown due to the gas running down the filler tube not being able to enter the tank fast enough and that creates the back pressure that triggers the pump to shut off as if the tank is full. Yet you can add more afterwards slowly.

Add in a sometimes suspect fuel level sensor readout and DTE calculation uncertainties and people are going crazy with experiments.

Now is Toyota doing any thing about it? Lots of stories on that, none credible. If what I'm speculating is true, then they can't.

I fill slowly to two and only two clicks and never let my tank go below a quarter full. I almost always get to the indicated full mark. That pattern fits my lifestyle so it has little practical impact on my lifestyle. Other people have different wants and/or needs. And since this is the only issue in 5800+ miles, I'm way ahead of the quality the average car is delivered with.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts