Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2020 XSE with a 11/19 build date. I have the issue. When it's E I can only get 10 gallons in. Odd part is though my fuel gauge will show full but only for a short period. This has happened since day 1. Haven't taken it to a dealer but called Toyota to get a case number and the guy said yep. This is the first 20 he has heard but a handful of 19s. I purchase in Sandusky Ohio.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2020 XSE with a 11/19 build date. I have the issue. When it's E I can only get 10 gallons in. Odd part is though my fuel gauge will show full but only for a short period. This has happened since day 1. Haven't taken it to a dealer but called Toyota to get a case number and the guy said yep. This is the first 20 he has heard but a handful of 19s. I purchase in Sandusky Ohio.
Your gauging showing F but only for a short while, I believe, can be explained by your tank being about 2 gal short of full after the fill-up attempt. “Most other cars” many of us have experienced over the years show the gauge well above F after a fill-up, and it’s one of the simple pleasures in life to see it stay above F (and often not even move much) for the first 60-80 miles. This is just simply not the experience for many ‘19/‘20 RAVh owners. The math seems to add up in your case: you fill 10 gal from DTE 0, 2.2 gal in reserve, 2 gal shy of full.

For me, I’m only getting 8.5-9 gal in from DTE 0, thus I’m figuring I’m at least 3 gal shy. I’m not sure if this is weather-related, more aggressive pumps at the non-self pump stations in NJ, or perhaps the direction I’m facing to the moon. My gauge reads at about 7/8 when I leave the station after a fill-up attempt, and decreases very rapidly immediately. I often get less than 50 miles before gauge hits 3/4 full.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Is yours a Japan or Canada build?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a 2020 XSE and have never been able to add more than 10.5 gallons. I do fill up as soon as the light comes on.
FYI When mine is on “E” well past refuel now message... I’m able to fill about 12-12.5 gallons..With mine the reserve is there when the needle is on “E”..I’ve driven 90 miles past DTE 0 and filled 13.8 gallons.. many have run it dry to test the tank size...so it’s there...I know that’s not what the owners manual says...also at some stations it is difficult to fill completely full if you don’t fill at the slowest auto fill pump setting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FYI When mine is on “E” well past refuel now message... I’m able to fill about 12-12.5 gallons..With mine the reserve is there when the needle is on “E”..I’ve driven 90 miles past DTE 0 and filled 13.8 gallons.. many have run it dry to test the tank size...so it’s there...I know that’s not what the owners manual says...also at some stations it is difficult to fill completely full if you don’t fill at the slowest auto fill pump setting.
It seems like it may be the fuel tank shape...toyota is using a new shape for the prime...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just read somewhere that Toyota is looking into the issue and it may be the shape of the tank. Not sure what they could do about that.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
Al these articles are copying each other click bait. Speculating, not knowing. Dealers don't know either. Until there is something in writing or a quote from a significantly high up in management Toyota official, I'm not believing.

Assuming ~$200 parts cost and 3 hours labor to R&R and then assure calibration, we are talking~$500 each times 83k cars sold. $41.5M so far not counting cars in the pipeline so say $50M.

I suspect they wait till they redesign and only the redesigned cars will get it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
One more time.

It's the BLADDER that is causing the issue.

The bladder is the constant VARIABLE.

Every time an attempt is made to introduce gasoline to fill the tank, the volume of gasoline the unit is able to accept is wholly dependent upon how stiff or pliable the bladder is, and/or whether there is a fold mitigating the full envelope expansion of the bladder.

·
Registered
535 Posts
One more time.

It's the BLADDER that is causing the issue.

The bladder is the constant VARIABLE.

Every time an attempt is made to introduce gasoline to fill the tank, the volume of gasoline the unit is able to accept is wholly dependent upon how stiff or pliable the bladder is, and/or whether there is a fold mitigating the full envelope expansion of the bladder.

View attachment 147991
Do the same RAV4s sold in Australia also have a bladder? Apparently the problem does not effect those sold in Australia.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Do the same RAV4s sold in Australia also have a bladder? Apparently the problem does not effect those sold in Australia.
I seriously doubt it. It's my belief that this is an EMISSIONS MITIGATION Design exclusive to the North American Market. IOW, Canada & the United States.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Redesign the tank with better venting between both sides.
Agree fully with you on your opinion. But the tank is not a saddle design like the gas Rav but I believe it is the elevate front section and a small gully to rear. Wish someone had a detailed pic of tank design. That's why slow filling works as the gas in filler builds enough head pressure to force gas into the area or burps the air into the section with filler neck. I guess the fix will determine which concept is true, venting, shape, combination of gauge and others listed or bladder.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
Agree fully with you on your opinion. But the tank is not a saddle design like the gas Rav but I believe it is the elevate front section and a small gully to rear. Wish someone had a detailed pic of tank design. That's why slow filling works as the gas in filler builds enough head pressure to force gas into the area or burps the air into the section with filler neck. I guess the fix will determine which concept is true, venting, shape, combination of gauge and others listed or bladder.
A while back I posted I picture I had taken showing how the filler tube ducks down under the suspension and then up into the side of the tank. I took it lying on the ground and just reaching up under the car. An even better look would be when the car was on a lift. The tube you see in the picture is not the portion coming down from the filler opening but rather is more horizontal going from the tube over to the tank.

Here should be a link to that picture. Looking at it you see the side of the tank and a bit of why I think the dip and the side entry may be contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There seems to be so many possibilities of what could be causing this it's probably best to wait for Toyota corporate to give an official reason. Could be some massive replace all the tanks recall situation.. or a hey we forgot to change that tank size in the software we borrowed from the prius, flash fix.... no one knows yet, atleast no1 outside toyota..

41 - 60 of 78 Posts